A/C only blowing cold at interstate speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Help guys, we leave from Missouri for Colorado in 4 days for a week vacation hauling a travel trailer for camping and our A/C is on the fritz. I’m going to try to take it into a dealer on Monday (hoping for an available appointment) to have it diagnosed and hopefully covered under our Max Care warranty, but I am trying to be proactive. Here’s the deal… when driving down the interstate it blows cold. But in-town and low speeds, it blows room temperature. I’m not sure where to find the A/C clutch or the fan location. Is there a fan relay? Low on freon? A/C fan failing?
2016 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi
Thanks in advance!

Gone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
my 18 has a fridge freezer ac in 100+ Deg traffic jam all i did was add two pusher fans on the condenser and bypassed the heater core with a hot water cutoff valve..

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I’m not sure where to find the A/C clutch or the fan location. Is there a fan relay? Low on freon? A/C fan failing?
2016 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi
The main fan clutch is on the front of the water pump, it's easily seen when you look at the fan.
If I'm not mistaken there is a pusher fan in front of the radiator which is electric and for the AC.
Something people overlook is if the condenser/radiator is dirty and or plugged. It might just need a good cleaning with a garden hose.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Your condensing fan motor is not running, when on the highway you get plenty of air flow when in traffic or stopped is when the fan does this . Could be clutch and or electric in front. Of radiator.

OP
OP
B

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The electric fan wasn’t working, so I swapped out the relay and that did seem to help. There were a couple of times it still didn’t seem to get cold, so I pushed the fan button to turn it off for 10 seconds and back on, and then it would **** cold. Maybe 2 separate issues? ‍♂️