A couple issues with my 2004 Ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael P

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Ok. Hello all. Please be patient with me I’m new to forum posting. I’m not really mechanically inclined, but I can figure a lot out watching videos and be a couple friends who are mechanics willing to help if I can figure out what it is ahead of time.

I’m currently experiencing a couple issues with my 2004 Ram 1500 w 5.7l hemi automatic, Laramie edition.

1st: My wipers tend to run on there own. Sometimes I unlock the doors and they activate. I turn them on to low/rain sense auto and they don’t run at all. When they do work in one of the settings they sometimes won’t shut off until I turn the truck off, or when they do stop they stop anywhere they are at when the switch is switched off.

2nd: My floor vents don’t work at all.

Any ideas? Anyone else experiencing either of these similar issues?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to RamForum.

1. I suspect the multi-function stalk or your Body Control Module have failed.

2. I suspect your HVAC system blend door may have failed. It can be the motor or it can be the little diverter door. Do you get air at the defrost vents and the dash vents when you cycle the HVAC control for each function?

TERRY G ABNEY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I agree with MADDOG and There are 5 blend doors on the 04 ram and one of them is probably the issue with the vents , should find youtube video telling how to check , I just replaced all of mine and its an o4 as well..
And the FMC OR BCM as it has been referred to as both those names , good chance it is your problem , it caused my low beams not to work and I added some shims and it cured my problem , I may replace eventually but for now all is good also check the Multi-function switch.wiper and there is a wiper module that could be an issue so I have been told as I never had issue with wipers , a good hand held scanner would help , one that can do more than just check engine codes
You can run the self check cluster test and it will show some c-codes that may or may not help

keep doors shut and radio off

1. Begin the test with the ignition switch in the OFF position.
2. Depress the odometer/trip odometer switch button.
3. While still holding the odometer/trip odometer switch button depressed, turn the ignition switch to the ON position, but do not start the engine.
4. Release the odometer/trip odometer switch button.
5. The instrument cluster will simultaneously begin to illuminate all of the operational segments in the LCD unit and perform a bulb check of each operational Light Emitting Diode (LED) indicator. The LCD segments and LED indicators remain illuminated as each gauge needle is swept to several calibration points and back. If a VFD segment or an LED indicator fails to illuminate, or if a gauge needle fails to sweep through the calibration points and back during this test, the instrument cluster must be replaced.
6. The self test is now completed. The instrument cluster will automatically exit the self-diagnostic mode and return to normal operation at the completion of the test. The self test will be aborted if the ignition switch is turned to the OFF position, or if a vehicle speed message indicating that the vehicle is moving is received from the PCM over the CAN data bus during the test.

OP
OP
M

Michael P

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Welcome to RamForum.

1. I suspect the multi-function stalk or your Body Control Module have failed.

2. I suspect your HVAC system blend door may have failed. It can be the motor or it can be the little diverter door. Do you get air at the defrost vents and the dash vents when you cycle the HVAC control for each function?

Thanks. Not sure what a multi-function stalk is but I’ll research it.

I do get air out of all other vents, just not the floor vents.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The multi-function stalk is the turn signal/low beam-high beam/wiper control switch on the steering column.

Nickgatti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8 mag
I agree with MADDOG and There are 5 blend doors on the 04 ram and one of them is probably the issue with the vents , should find youtube video telling how to check , I just replaced all of mine and its an o4 as well..
And the FMC OR BCM as it has been referred to as both those names , good chance it is your problem , it caused my low beams not to work and I added some shims and it cured my problem , I may replace eventually but for now all is good also check the Multi-function switch.wiper and there is a wiper module that could be an issue so I have been told as I never had issue with wipers , a good hand held scanner would help , one that can do more than just check engine codes
You can run the self check cluster test and it will show some c-codes that may or may not help

keep doors shut and radio off

1. Begin the test with the ignition switch in the OFF position.
2. Depress the odometer/trip odometer switch button.
3. While still holding the odometer/trip odometer switch button depressed, turn the ignition switch to the ON position, but do not start the engine.
4. Release the odometer/trip odometer switch button.
5. The instrument cluster will simultaneously begin to illuminate all of the operational segments in the LCD unit and perform a bulb check of each operational Light Emitting Diode (LED) indicator. The LCD segments and LED indicators remain illuminated as each gauge needle is swept to several calibration points and back. If a VFD segment or an LED indicator fails to illuminate, or if a gauge needle fails to sweep through the calibration points and back during this test, the instrument cluster must be replaced.
6. The self test is now completed. The instrument cluster will automatically exit the self-diagnostic mode and return to normal operation at the completion of the test. The self test will be aborted if the ignition switch is turned to the OFF position, or if a vehicle speed message indicating that the vehicle is moving is received from the PCM over the CAN data bus during the test.
How can I shim the Fmc I need to do this

TERRY G ABNEY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I added a washers between the fuse box an the module and put the screws back in to mount it , I know of some people only shimming one side or even just one opening for the screw on mine I did all 4 ,,
It has worked for some and others did not have any luck ,,on mine it was just low beam not working and it did work,,for how long I dont know , I dont even know why it worked but it did