A different Water leak location-2018 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trucker2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Found a different location for water leaking in the back of my 2018 1500 Sport crew cab. Have already fixed third brake light seal and cab vents have been replaced so after recent rains i noticed water again, ughh, in the rear driver side corner of cab and wet carpet under the rear seat on that side. so i pulled the seats and rear wall panel and looked and see where water has been running down along the sealer at the seam, see attached picture. it comes out from behind a metal panel witch you cant see behind so i had to rule out the third brake lite by stuffing some rolled up paper towel in there from the inside to see if it got wet, it did not and vents were visible and not leaking during rain storm so i turned my attention to the rear slider window. I could not find any water sitting in the track or coming from anywhere near the window on the inside. I noted the location and looked on the back of the cab and it looked to be right were the seam is at the bottom corner of the rear window so i sprayer water very lightly at it and sure enough water came running down on the inside. i applied some black gasket sealer from the window rubber on down the seam till i could not reach anymore and let it dry. sprayer it down with the hose this morning and no more water leaking. The outside photo is before i sealed it up and i suspect it was just a slight crack in the factory cab seam sealer somewhere in that area. So fyi if you still are having leaking problems and have addressed all the common leak areas ie third brake light seal and mounting screws, rear wall cab exhaust vents and rear window seal.

Attachments

• 20230517_124032 (2).jpg
    20230517_124032 (2).jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 96
  • 20230517_124005 (2).jpg
    20230517_124005 (2).jpg
    113 KB · Views: 95
OP
OP
Trucker2

Trucker2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
You right or just using cheap materials that can't take the heat here in Texas kinda like the Uconnect Radio screens. Either way my well placed sealer goop along the seam has stopped my water leak so i'm happy! I was getting tired of taking those back seats out.

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks like a poor installation of seam sealer and a lack of giving a damn.
I don't think humans seal the seams on these trucks anymore. It may have just been overlooked. I had a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee I ordered from Jeep. I would have a mysterious leak under the driver side dash that would eventually work its way into the door chime buzzer mounted under the dash. Certain rains would drip on it and it would chime relentlessly until I unplugged it and dried it out. The Jeep dealer couldn't find the leak, and after many failed attempts, I took the upper dash apart and found the culprit. It appeared that when the windshield was put on, the bead of adhesive touched around the VIN tag and must have smeared just enough to let the water run and drip into the cabin. I took care of it with some black silicone.

Last edited:

rabbit_season

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had this leak too, vertical seam where the lower cab center and cab side join below the corner of the back glass aperture. It was a very small leak. I could duplicate it by running a hose at the d/s lower corner of the back glass. I used flowable silicone and carefully tucked the nozzle in between the lip on the back glass and the painted body, about 2" from the bottom of the glass. The flowable stuff seems to have made its way into the gap. No more leak. Found it while replacing the leaky cab vents. Ha!