A few questions about 21' + Rams......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Starting to get the itch for a new truck and I had some questions about new Ram 1500's. I am currently in a 2015 Ram 1500 Sport CC, so I'm curious about a few things on the newest generations.....

1) What is currently a good discount off MSRP? When I purchased my 2015 Ram, I ended with just about 20% off the sticker ( $53K sticker, $10.5k off ) . I told the salesman when I purchased the truck in 2015 that i had a number in mind and it was all wrapped up with dealer discounts, rebates and so on.......20% off sticker was my end game. Is that possible right now with the covid inventory issues right now?

2) Does the 5th generation Hemi still have the problem with exhaust manifold bolts breaking and leaving the trucks with a lovely exhaust leak? Have my replaced multiple times in my 6 years of ownership.

3) Has Ram increased the quality / quality control of its paint jobs? They were very hit or miss on the previous generation and my truck was no exception. I have a couple little acne bubbles, luckily in inconspicuous locations that i did not catch when i purchased the truck. Thankfully the paint hasn't chipped away exposing the sheet metal underneath or gotten any worse, but they are quite bad in terms of quality control

4) Can any 1500 be purchased without the word RAM on the front grille? I just dont like the RAM lettering and prefer the Rams head logo like the tail gates usually have.

Thanks !

Last edited:

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I was about to order a 22 PW and I was getting 1500 off invoice. I ended up switching to a Ford Tremor 350 because it better suited my needs. On my 18 I didn't have an issue with the paint out of the norm. As far as being able to get different grilles etc you'll have to do that after the fact. I didn't want the big *** RAM on the tailgate of the PW but they were unable to order it that way. Honestly anything off right now is better than nothing. I also don't think they've done much better with manifold bolts but I could be wrong.

OP
OP
N

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was about to order a 22 PW and I was getting 1500 off invoice. I ended up switching to a Ford Tremor 350 because it better suited my needs. On my 18 I didn't have an issue with the paint out of the norm. As far as being able to get different grilles etc you'll have to do that after the fact. I didn't want the big *** RAM on the tailgate of the PW but they were unable to order it that way. Honestly anything off right now is better than nothing. I also don't think they've done much better with manifold bolts but I could be wrong.

Yea, I hate the big RAM lettering on the tailgate too.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Starting to get the itch for a new truck and I had some questions about new Ram 1500's. I am currently in a 2015 Ram 1500 Sport CC, so I'm curious about a few things on the newest generations.....

1) What is currently a good discount off MSRP? When I purchased my 2015 Ram, I ended with just about 20% off the sticker ( $53K sticker, $10.5k off ) . I told the salesman when I purchased the truck in 2015 that i had a number in mind and it was all wrapped up with dealer discounts, rebates and so on.......20% off sticker was my end game. Is that possible right now with the covid inventory issues right now?

2) Does the 5th generation Hemi still have the problem with exhaust manifold bolts breaking and leaving the trucks with a lovely exhaust leak? Have my replaced multiple times in my 6 years of ownership.

3) Has Ram increased the quality / quality control of its paint jobs? They were very hit or miss on the previous generation and my truck was no exception. I have a couple little acne bubbles, luckily in inconspicuous locations that i did not catch when i purchased the truck. Thankfully the paint hasn't chipped away exposing the sheet metal underneath or gotten any worse, but they are quite bad in terms of quality control

4) Can any 1500 be purchased without the word RAM on the front grille? I just dont like the RAM lettering and prefer the Rams head logo like the tail gates usually have.

Thanks !
To answer your questions,
1) You're not likely to get a new truck for much under MSRP right now. But some people have had success with getting good deals by buying from one of the high volume dealerships like Mark Dodge in Louisiana, or Dave Smith in Idaho, then having it shipped or fly out/drive back.

2) Yes, the Hemi in the 5th gens is mostly unchanged from what was use in 4th gens. People have started reporting issues with broken bolts. Hard to say if it is as prevalent because 5th gens just haven't been in service long enough to know yet.

3) The switch from the Warren Assembly Plant to the Sterling Heights Assembly Plant had people anticipating that the paint issues would improve. But 5th gen owners are complaining about some of the same issues people saw on 4th gens, with fish eyes and orange peel being the most prevalent.

4) No, you can't buy a 5th gen without the word RAM on the grille. My opinion is that it's the name a the brand. Mine is color matched black with the grille so it's less obvious.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've always figured you should be able to get whatever the hell you want if you order a truck even if it takes a bit more time to make it. But I get it only certain options are probably on certain assembly lines etc. Makes sense. I'd wait another two weeks if I could have gotten a ram head on the tailgate.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I've always figured you should be able to get whatever the hell you want if you order a truck even if it takes a bit more time to make it. But I get it only certain options are probably on certain assembly lines etc. Makes sense. I'd wait another two weeks if I could have gotten a ram head on the tailgate.
I'm sure there is someone out there who would trade you tailgates. The trick is finding someone close enough with the same color truck. I've seen threads with people trading hoods (sport versus non-sport). Try making a thread offering to trade yours. If I had a HD I wouldn't mind trading for one that says RAM. I had one of those tailgates on my 2017 Rebel and kind of miss that.

Phil DeRochi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
E torque 5.7 gas
i purchased my 21 limited night edition in April . not only did i get $10,000 off the msrp but was also offered 0% for 6 years. there are deals like that still out there You have to do A lot of searching but it can be found if the truck u want is available. i flew from illinois to Austin for $185 to drive my Ram home . i couldn’t deal in illinois anywhere.

stormcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn
Engine
V6
i purchased my 21 limited night edition in April . not only did i get $10,000 off the msrp but was also offered 0% for 6 years. there are deals like that still out there You have to do A lot of searching but it can be found if the truck u want is available. i flew from illinois to Austin for $185 to drive my Ram home . i couldn’t deal in illinois anywhere.
Something I find interesting. I am in North Texas and our local dealer is sending cars and trucks all over the country. You are in Illinois and went to Austin. Austin bent over backwards to steal a customer from Illinois. My son years ago wanted a Jeep Liberty and I promised him one for Graduating UT with an aeronatical engineering degree. We had to go from Texas to Naperville Ill. to get it. I gave him flyer miles and he went and test drove it. They came down another 3k (from price they quoted on the phone) when he told them he was flying back to Texas.

Our local dealer is the same way. I just bought 2 GC, 1500 limited and my wife a Renegade this year. I offered to my local dealer what I can buy them for and they said I could not. I did and you would have thought after the 2nd car, they would believe me. And then came the 3rd and the forth. I then traded the limited for more than I paid for it and bought a bighorn 4x4 with level 2 package and a 3.6 engine for almost the equity in my limited.

So, I just do not understand why the local dealers stick it to the local people but if you drive a couple hundred miles, they fall all over themselves to "steal" a customer.

The previous commentary and a dollar will buy you a cup of coffee at an out of town dealership.

dklozik

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi eTorque
I got my '21 for approx 12% off sticker 6 weeks ago in Houston. Paint quality...eh. I had one fender flare painted a different shade of white than the rest of the truck. My tailgate came stock without the large "RAM" on the back.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My tailgate came stock without the large "RAM" on the back.
That's no surprise. Power Wagon, TRX, and Rebel are the only current models that get the RAM tailgate. If you get a Rebel with the MFT you get the ram's head badge instead of the RAM letters.

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
Something I find interesting. I am in North Texas and our local dealer is sending cars and trucks all over the country. You are in Illinois and went to Austin. Austin bent over backwards to steal a customer from Illinois. My son years ago wanted a Jeep Liberty and I promised him one for Graduating UT with an aeronatical engineering degree. We had to go from Texas to Naperville Ill. to get it. I gave him flyer miles and he went and test drove it. They came down another 3k (from price they quoted on the phone) when he told them he was flying back to Texas.

Our local dealer is the same way. I just bought 2 GC, 1500 limited and my wife a Renegade this year. I offered to my local dealer what I can buy them for and they said I could not. I did and you would have thought after the 2nd car, they would believe me. And then came the 3rd and the forth. I then traded the limited for more than I paid for it and bought a bighorn 4x4 with level 2 package and a 3.6 engine for almost the equity in my limited.

So, I just do not understand why the local dealers stick it to the local people but if you drive a couple hundred miles, they fall all over themselves to "steal" a customer.

The previous commentary and a dollar will buy you a cup of coffee at an out of town dealership.
I don’t get it either, but something about snagging the out of market customers looks good on paper. My last 2 trucks were bought via internet or phone, out of my market. Local dealer actually told me , “that’s our price and that’s as low as we’ll go.” I drove my trade over 1 state and picked up my new one. Incidentally, numerous people tried to get them to sell it out from under me before I got there, they sold to me, I am sure my trade was the difference…….well that and the fact that I told them If they renieged, I waould raise so much hell, I’d be going to jail and they would be getting a bad rap online. Anyhow, we were all happy. I haven’t regretted my decision at all, but I do miss the old 2500, if only I could have convinced the wife, I needed both.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The dealers by me are doing market adjustment for over sticker price.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
Ram dealers near me are getting msrp and dont have much inventory but some ford dealers still add "addendum" extra charge . I have seen a few gm dealers that are taking a few dollars off and actually have some selection. there is no rhyme or reason.