A KEY question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just curious. I looked up Stratec and found biomedical stuff. Other variations no help. Where did you buy the keys you referred to in your post?
Try strattec. That’s the first thing that popped up when I typed “stratec oem”

OEDRO

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cost about $10 to get a key, and then go to a locksmith to program it can save a lot.

HM_SanDiego

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Hydro/Laser Blue CC Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cost about $10 to get a key, and then go to a locksmith to program it can save a lot.

No no - FCA msrp on a new Ram fob is $250.00, and the door key blank that goes into it is sold separately (I don’t recall how much the emergency key blank was).

Programming of the fob is also a separate fee at the dealership or through an automotive locksmith - prices for programming vary WIDLEY. In my area programming fees run $70.00-$100.00+

You can find no name brand key fobs for $50.00 online - I purchased one and it would not program to my truck, so I sent it back and purchased an OEM fob at my friendly dealership.....I got the new fob, the new key blank insert, and the fob programmed at the dealership for under $200.00

There are other options for buying oem fobs online in the $80.00 - $100.00 range, and then there is still the above mentioned programming and blank emergency key cutting, and I don’t know if these other oem fob options include, or don’t include, the blank emergency key insert. I would guess they don’t include the key, as the dealership sells them separately.

Another fun fact regarding cutting a key at the dealership - most FCA dealers these days prefer to Or will only cut automotive keys by manufacturer code, not by trace-copying an existing key, like the old days. This is better anyway, as in most cases the remaining existing key is likely fairly worn.

That said, FCA apparently limits the number of times per calendar day that any given dealership can look up a key code (by vin). So get this, the day I was in the dealership, buying my new fob, and getting it programmed, the dealerships key cutting machine was down, waiting on parts. The parts manager ran my key code using my vin, and printed it out and gave it to me, and told me about the above key code lookup limitation......when I returned a couple days later to have the new blank emergency key cut, the kid behind the counter responded “we already ran the maximum number of allowed code lookups today, so sorry, we can’t do it today”.......then I handed him my code print out (provided by my friendly parts manager a couple days prior), and viola, they cut the new key....

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
NO KEY then you tell the dealer or seller price reduced by 375.00 and deal is closed or walk away. Ive been around awhile and it makes you laugh at what the dealers will try and get away with but I tell them aim waiting up the block for them another words aim ahead of their rip off. You know what it would cost if you lost the only set of keys ,towing computer time at dealer to find your code key, and purchase 2 new fobs I would say a grand for the whole thing. So guys get your second key fob or walk away.:biggun: