A little help getting the right used differential please.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In summary amid my upgrades to my 2014 4x4 Sport I had the truck in for a oil change and rotation. Boom. Nightmare.
No warranty (Canada import back to US)

Please bare with me as I'm not too knowledgeable about suspension transmission etc. I'm good with interior electrical stuff basic maintenance but this is over my head.

I've been trying to track a clunk noise at low speeds in and out of driveway aprons and small potholes at low speeds for months. No luck everywhere. Can't replicate. One time I had someone in to listen I couldn't replicate. I just let it go.

This week I got my truck back from my oil change and tire rotation and noticed when I would break moderately a "rubbing noise" would be present afterwards and would subside after a minute or two. Very faint but to my ear I could notice it was an issue. This would continue through what i assume is regular driving off the brakes turning and straight and acceleration(just cant hear it anymore after I got over 1500rpm or wind noise etc). It would subsidr after a while then come right back. I thought it was just maybe something from the rotation. It is rhythmic with speed. Usually only audible with no engine noise or windnoise or roadnoise. Sometimes it would get loud enough to hear more obvioisly but really couldn't tell if it was because my truck heated up or I drove over the right thing or braked the right way. In the end I never really figured out what I was able to do to replicate it after a few days. I brought it back and someone rode with me immediately. Was only able to get the nosie faintly but he heard it. He reviewed all wheels brakes and tires. They all were fine.

He found my front passenger tire when spinning is binding in the differential extension housing and bearings. We also found the source of that thump noise. He was able to jiggle my CV assembly and I instantly knew that noise to be the one from the past few months.

They worked a quote up but can't get me the front passenger extension housing for the differential. Attached is the diagram of what they believe to be the problem. It is one of those famed ram "not serviceable parts". This now became a 2grand differential replacement not including the CV assembly. I'm in no way prepared for this. I confirmed that no matter where I go this "extension housing" can't be seperated. Dealers, Benny from Mopar parts, even the scrap yards only sell the differential.
The shop agreed to let me get my own differential but they said "I'm on my own" and "don't get the wrong one". Evidently the two dealerships they talked to where surprised about this situation and not being able to get the extension housing.
My parts department at my dealership was helpful and made sure they got me all the info I needed about my truck. They also offered to cross check any part numbers I may come across. It's pretty obvious I'm only going to be able to get an entire differential. I'm sure it will be easier to replace the entire differential then pay to break down my current one, the replacement one and reassemble. I have yet to get a labor estimate from them for the diff replacement entirely but at least the labor cost for the CV joint and the diff fluid change (which I'm due for anyway) will be absorbed into this repair if the differential is replaced.

Can anyone help clarify what I'm looking for so I can easier spend the week on parts sites?

This is what I know:
I know I have 3.21 front gear ratio. Dealer told me I need to make sure the differential I get is 215mm. I do not have a lsd
The part number provided from dealership was 68257420AD

Here are some itemized questions before I proceed with this nightmare hoping some of you can shed light on

1)I'm running into a lot of places referring to this part in a search as a carrier? Same thing as differential correct?
2)I'm only usually able to find the descriptions as 3.21 or x.xx ratio but nothing about the 215mm or likewise any mm. Where does that play in to this part and finding the right one? (I do know I need to make sure I get the front and the right ratio)
3)I have 85k on my truck. Obvioisly I have options of low mileage differentials with higher prices. I'm assuming since the potential of replacing the entire differential is still in the possibilities instead of using the "extension housing" only, I may be better off getting a low mileage one. Confirm?

Any other knowledge to help is always welcome. Few people already mentioned to trade the truck. I worked hard to get my truck the way I like it. I really dont want to do that. I have probably one year left before its mine. I have my lights and siren installed for fire (professionally installed), did my wheels and leveling, and did all the little things to make this truck mine. It would be a hell of a lot of work to undo all that or just eat it and trade or sell. I already have out of pocketed exhaust manifold replacement, water pump. I take really good care of her. I really try. This has obviously taken away from being able to do my 4c UAQ upgrade which I already paid for everything and have waiting to install.

20181123_214130.jpg

Last edited:

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think you will find the 215 axle in any of the newer front diffs unless a 6cyl is different . The 09 through I think 2012 had a 205mm axle. They had a low pinion smaller diff compared to the 2013 on. Diff and carrier is the same in these trucks. I was not sure either because most vehicles don't list them as being the same but I asked the seller and he said a carrier is what they sell as the whole axle assembly as do others I have learned. Ebay has a lot of front carriers . Fortunately for you a 3.21 is usually the cheapest and increase in price as you approach 3.92 which are more in demand. Do your shopping as I get a notice from Ebay every time a 3.92 carrier is posted and they range from like 450 to 1250 for the same diff with same mileage so dont grab the first one if you can't find just the part you need.

OP
OP
jdip

jdip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@Gary2 thanks! That clears things up a bit for me. I've spent the past few days on lkw and car part. Just got off email with an lkq yard not far from here. He had a few options for me and I think I picked a good middle of the road one with low mileage and med price and the other quotes I put in for I haven't even heard back from yet.