A Loosing anti Freeze ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Not my RAM .
Trying to help my Ex wife out who step son is having a issue , Yea I talk to the Ex lol

Any help would be great ! THANKS

It is for a Jeep I think 2013.

But I think leaks can apply to all cars/trucks

The jeep keeps loosing Anti Freeze but not seeing any leaks and I forgot to ask her about any white smoke .

Her mechanic does not think it is a Head Gasket and I assume he checked the oil for water !

I told her to check the oil from the dip stick and it should be brownish and not look milky !

He told her maybe the water pump. But he is up there in years like me lol and maybe missing something

So WHAT have you seen or found out about loosing anti freeze with out any visual leaks ?

I forgot to ask how fast it is being lost! But will next time I talk to her !

Her step son is a great kid so doing what I can to help as her BF is dumb like the me about auto repairs lol

Thanks

Wallyb4

Retired EWC(SW/AW) 1983-2003
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Have them check the radiator cap. If that is bad you will loose coolant and overheat. Is it overheating also? Do they smell antifreeze in the veh while driving? If so might have a heater core going bad. Sorry I just remembered you said they took to mechanic, but still check the cap. Also how much they looking? Could have a broken overflow tank. Just throwing things from the top of my head.

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Have them check the radiator cap. If that is bad you will loose coolant and overheat. Is it overheating also? Do they smell antifreeze in the veh while driving? If so might have a heater core going bad. Sorry I just remembered you said they took to mechanic, but still check the cap. Also how much they looking? Could have a broken overflow tank. Just throwing things from the top of my head.
Thank you for your reply.
I am going to have her tell him to get a new cap! A cheap try lol.
As for her mechanic he is way older then me and could have missed something ! We are not all perfect and can miss things .
As for the smell Ill ask her if they smell anything ! And will ask her if passenger side may is wet !
I also asked her to be sure they pressure test the radiator!
I assume he checked the oil for water but again will ask her

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
Could be a small leak in the rad and its burning off before it can hit the ground.Maybe try to pressurize the system and peek around.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many miles on it? I've seen heater and radiator hoses get pinhole leaks in them before when they have a bunch of miles on them. If the vehicle has over 100K on it I would replace all the hoses and flush the cooling system and rule that out for sure.

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
How many miles on it? I've seen heater and radiator hoses get pinhole leaks in them before when they have a bunch of miles on them. If the vehicle has over 100K on it I would replace all the hoses and flush the cooling system and rule that out for sure.
Thanks. Yea over 100k miles .
I'll get more info on it.

Thanks for the replies everyone

Dan98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks. Yea over 100k miles .
I'll get more info on it.

Thanks for the replies everyone
Srv1 makes a good point and if we had a timeline to go with amount lost would help

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Srv1 makes a good point and if we had a timeline to go with amount lost would help

I have not talked to her in the past few days But I will ask how long it takes to go low... Thanks