A lot more engine noise-manifold bolts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Well @RAZ175 , the verdict is in, and the reason for all the noise is.....a seized fan clutch! Good call! Only bad part is that they are NOT covering it under warranty because of "foreign contamination of dirt and grime into the fan clutch assembly" from off-roading. If I try and force the claim through and Chrysler sends out a tech to verify, they can void my extended warranty due to abuse. I'm going to reach out to the area Chrysler service rep to see what they say.

RAZ175

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L
I would push for warranty replacement. If the seal had not failed at the back of the clutch, it wouldn't have seized from dirt while "off-roading". Driving these trucks off road does not cause fan clutch seals to fail. It's a defective part and should be replaced. You have the video evidence. Elevate to customer care. They can't void your extended warranty for driving off road unless you drove through a river with water up to your windshield.

OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
That’s kind of my point. I’ll be bringing that up with the Chrysler rep.

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I would push for warranty replacement. If the seal had not failed at the back of the clutch, it wouldn't have seized from dirt while "off-roading". Driving these trucks off road does not cause fan clutch seals to fail. It's a defective part and should be replaced. You have the video evidence. Elevate to customer care. They can't void your extended warranty for driving off road unless you drove through a river with water up to your windshield.

Ummm, He mighta. Actually it was probably deeper.:happy160: jk, kinda.

I don't know what the cost of a new clutch fan is or if the clutch and fan are serviceable, but if the dealer doesnt take care of his customer and you end up needing a clutch, I happen to have a perfectly good clutch on my broken fan. If you can use it, its yours. let me know.

OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Ummm, He mighta. Actually it was probably deeper.:happy160: jk, kinda.

I don't know what the cost of a new clutch fan is or if the clutch and fan are serviceable, but if the dealer doesnt take care of his customer and you end up needing a clutch, I happen to have a perfectly good clutch on my broken fan. If you can use it, its yours. let me know.
I appreciate it, but they’ve already ordered the parts. They’re fixing it, I’m just trying to see if I can get it (rightfully) covered under warranty.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Well @RAZ175 , the verdict is in, and the reason for all the noise is.....a seized fan clutch! Good call! Only bad part is that they are NOT covering it under warranty because of "foreign contamination of dirt and grime into the fan clutch assembly" from off-roading. If I try and force the claim through and Chrysler sends out a tech to verify, they can void my extended warranty due to abuse. I'm going to reach out to the area Chrysler service rep to see what they say.

That's got to be one of the dumbest arguments ever. It's a factory purpose built off road truck (power wagon) , yet they won't warranty it for you because you drove the truck off road????!!!!???? :bs::Stupid Me: good grief man. I hope they come to their senses. That fan clutch is a known failure prone part.

OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
That's got to be one of the dumbest arguments ever. It's a factory purpose built off road truck (power wagon) , yet they won't warranty it for you because you drove the truck off road????!!!!???? :bs::Stupid Me: good grief man. I hope they come to their senses. That fan clutch is a known failure prone part.
I agree, especially since I know when the failure occurred, which was before I got to the off-road event this weekend. The seal failed (I have a picture of it), which caused dirt and grime to build up inside naturally, and then it got even more caked at the event but by then it was already toast. I've left a message with the field rep, I'll keep updated.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Late to the thread, but yea definitely a fan clutch issue.

The failing fan clutch is a known issue that has plagued the 6.4 trucks. Mine sticks on occasionally when it shouldnt, but usually lets loose once I get on throttle a bit. Been doing this for years. I am planning on it locking up for good one of these days.

Best of luck getting it covered under warranty!

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
bad fan clutch hasnt plagued every 6.4. yes there did seem to be a batch of bad clutches on some of the trucks few years ago but i think thats all sorted out far as i know. my '16 had a bad one right out of the gate and the new replacement went bad right away also. my '17 has been fine and worked perfect thus far (4yrs so far).
the fact that the OP fan worked fine for several years, then the seal went bad (for what ever reason) , is something entirely different than the bad clutches that were bad on virtually brand new units

OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
bad fan clutch hasnt plagued every 6.4. yes there did seem to be a batch of bad clutches on some of the trucks few years ago but i think thats all sorted out far as i know. my '16 had a bad one right out of the gate and the new replacement went bad right away also. my '17 has been fine and worked perfect thus far (4yrs so far).
the fact that the OP fan worked fine for several years, then the seal went bad (for what ever reason) , is something entirely different than the bad clutches that were bad on virtually brand new units
My truck has 53k miles on it. Now, I did get a new engine last year at 40k, and I don’t know what accessories transferred from the old engine to the new one. I’m assuming the fan assembly is the original but I can’t be 100% sure.

PW69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I started my 2017 1500 a couple of weeks ago and heard a low ticking sound, two days later it was louder and sounded like the lifters were failing. Made an appointment at the dealership and left the truck with them. The problem was manifold bolts, several of them broke off. I have 43k miles on the truck and it's still under warranty.

OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
So I spoke with the Chrysler service area rep, who I’ve known for almost 15 years. He informed me that there is a third party company that actually backs the Maxcare warranty (even I didn’t know that) and it isn’t actually Chrysler. So his ability to override what they may or may not say if we forced the warranty claim through the system would be pretty limited due to that fact. However, he agreed with me that the cause of the failure being off-roading or just a failure is difficult to determine, and we agreed to split the cost of the repair 50/50 between Chrysler and myself, which I thought was fair. Now I’m just waiting on the parts to come in and it to be finished.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
So I spoke with the Chrysler service area rep, who I’ve known for almost 15 years. He informed me that there is a third party company that actually backs the Maxcare warranty (even I didn’t know that) and it isn’t actually Chrysler. So his ability to override what they may or may not say if we forced the warranty claim through the system would be pretty limited due to that fact. However, he agreed with me that the cause of the failure being off-roading or just a failure is difficult to determine, and we agreed to split the cost of the repair 50/50 between Chrysler and myself, which I thought was fair. Now I’m just waiting on the parts to come in and it to be finished.

Sucks... having a warranty, then having to negotiate for that warranty to cover 'half' the repair costs of what the warranty is for.

OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Sucks... having a warranty, then having to negotiate for that warranty to cover 'half' the repair costs of what the warranty is for.
Agreed, the problem is...they’re absolutely right. If I roll the dice I could end up losing out on my lifetime warranty, one that isn’t offered anymore. That’s not a risk I’m willing to take.

Robert Anderson

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
on my 2011 5.7 I have the cold air intake filter system and when I Rev high I get a very loud roar under the hood

OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Got the truck back last night (finally) and all seems to be well. It was definitely the fan clutch seized closed (good call again @RAZ175 ) and they replaced the fan assembly. No loud noises (other than what the ones supposed to be there lol) and it’s back to normal. Shop got some of the costs down and after the split I ended up paying $275 which I thought was fair. Chrysler picked up the rest.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
275 isn't too bad but they still should have covered it IMO. But if you are happy with it, that's all that matters. Glad it wasn't something more serious!

OP
OP
IRSmart

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
275 isn't too bad but they still should have covered it IMO. But if you are happy with it, that's all that matters. Glad it wasn't something more serious!
Me too, and while I agree with you, the risk of getting my lifetime warranty cancelled was too great for me. Although at this point I’m running out of things that my warranty will cover lol

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
looks like you could of bought just the clutch portion for $168 and changed it yourself