A Lot of Weird Service Suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
What i find strange with Brakes

Take a motorcycle, a Yamaha will do

Here in the USA & every other country , we use brake fluid

Over in Japan, the same motorcycle will use distilled Water in the Brake System, it will also have Stainless Steel lines

Distilled Water does not compress the same as brake fluid
Alot going on here in your statement. First, fluids don't compress. What does happen is that brake fluid can get hot enough to boil, introducing gaseous elements into a braking system, and that gas will compress, resulting in brake fade. Second, water is better at dispersing heat than glycol-based brake fluid, resulting in better braking performance under certain conditions. Third, the stainless steel lines are braided stainless over flexible tubing. This braid prevents brake line expansion, which gives a spongy feel to the brakes....Not from fluid compression, but from line expansion.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Can brake fluid boil.........definitely yes, but as mentioned in some other posts it is highly unlikely it would boil in a single panic stop.

You and Dean2 are the only ones who've said anything about a single panic stop and that's a strawman of his creation.

Would you like to argue against contaminated brake fluid takes longer to stop as clean once the brakes are heat soaked, as that's the actual position I've argued?

Do what you want but this fascination with over servicing vehicles is expensive.

I hope I'm never in a place in life I consider $20 every two years for brake fluid as being expensive.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
What i find strange with Brakes

Take a motorcycle, a Yamaha will do

Here in the USA & every other country , we use brake fluid

Over in Japan, the same motorcycle will use distilled Water in the Brake System, it will also have Stainless Steel lines

Distilled Water does not compress the same as brake fluid

I suppose a summer only vehicle would be fine, but wouldn't you need to mix in some sort of anti-freeze if you wanted to use it in most of the US? Frozen 'brake fluid' seems like it'd lead a bad time...

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
I suppose a summer only vehicle would be fine, but wouldn't you need to mix in some sort of anti-freeze if you wanted to use it in most of the US? Frozen 'brake fluid' seems like it'd lead a bad time...
That is indeed what they do. Water-fluid brakes have been common on some bicycles for several years, and they mix it with ethylene glycol to prevent freezing, just at different ratios than engine cooling systems.

Ron Boggio

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
I keep coming back to this thread. I re-read the original post and I still throw up a little in the back of my throat. It’s a ****** reminder of why I left the automotive industry in 2000. I am still trying to discover what “IR Conditioning Oil” is and what it does. Even more significant, they recommended services they couldn’t or wouldn’t explain? Argh!

Ethanol Defense Kit? When Ethanol was first introduced it played HAVOC with rubber. For those who have had a vehicle with 40 miles of vacuum and fuel line, pre 92ish (slight exaggeration) ethanol broke those down quick. Depending on the mixture of ethanol one tank might produce heavy spark knock the next tank not so much. Around 2005 the ECM/PCM was being programmed to compensate for the air/fuel mixture and making timing adjustments for ethanol additives. That’s why engines designed to run ethanol have plastic and synthetic rubber for vacuum lines etc. Making a “Ethanol Defense Kit” an oxymoron.

I am curious if they explained what the “Fuel Injection Service” was? There are some “Fuel Injection Services” that would be worth $255 however they are somewhat invasive.

What I find interesting, Dodge Lifetime warranty requires servicing of the differential every 15,000 miles. Without knowing the service history, I have no idea if a Differential service has ever been performed. However, a diff service would have at least had verifiable credibility. (15 x 5 = 75)

The list as written is $908, a significant percentage of the cost presented is labor. If you requested your replaced parts be returned to you (You must request return of old parts prior to authorizing the work) the only part would be the CAF. Talk about creditable deniability!

Argh, this thread really stirred up some old feelings (teeth grinding).

Cmz2800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can get all your filters for about $50 on Amazon or $70 at Walmart. The flushes you can get done next time around. You must understand that the ONLY reason they’re in business is because they up sell (exploit) every customer. I know this because I was in the business a while back. EVERY single customer that walked in the building had to walk out with something (even oxygen in the tires $59). Honestly, you have to be just as ruthless as car salesman.

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
Well, I won't enter the brake fluid debate. Having said that I do think I understand what the naysayers are pointing out. That being, they have not made it part of their maintenance procedures and have never had an issue. As have probably hundreds of thousands of other car owners. It is an individual choice I guess.
For the OP, if he is shying away from a DIY brake fluid flush because it intimidates him, try a simple gravity procedure. I recently did my RAM and was pleasantly surprised to find out I did not even have to jack the car off the ground or remove any wheels. It is slower ( actually the fluid ran more swiftly than I expected ) but I do not have to deal with trying to communicate to the Admiral when to push, hold and release the brake pedal. Then there is the issue of sucking air back into the system. I have seen where a heavy grease was needed at the connection to act as a seal. I just do it when I have the extra time or sometimes I actually let it drip and go attend to something else. Maybe change the cabin air filter while it is dripping. ;)

Last edited:

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You and Dean2 are the only ones who've said anything about a single panic stop and that's a strawman of his creation.

Would you like to argue against contaminated brake fluid takes longer to stop as clean once the brakes are heat soaked, as that's the actual position I've argued?

I hope I'm never in a place in life I consider $20 every two years for brake fluid as being expensive.
I'm just tired of all these internet posts that confuse "better" and "best", or turn something from "not a bad idea to do" into a "the truck will explode and kill a bus full of nuns if you don't do it". It's like somebody sets a $10 bill on one side of a table and a $20 bill on the other side of the table and tells you pick one up. Sure, the $20 bill is "best" but even if you pick up the $10 bill it is "better" than what you had. On the Internet and Facebook that same philosophy quickly turns into a story about how if you pick the $10 bill the whole world explodes and it ruins your life...........
Again, I'm saying that periodically changing the brake fluid is a good idea (especially since it's relatively easy and cheap if you do it yourself). However I'm also saying that it's not going to cause a vehicle to explode and burn, and really can only cause issues under rare and extreme cases. Sure, if somebody is pulling a huge trailer with no brakes coming down a really long mountain grade and smokes the brakes, old fluid could cause some problems....but there are also many other potential problems besides just the brake fluid. Keep in mind that semis use air brakes and no fluid, and is why most freeways with long downhills have the emergency brake lanes.

Show me factory recommend maintenance schedules for replacing brake fluid.....point being is that not all manufacturers and/or models even have recommend brake fluid service intervals in the manuals.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
62blazer - well said. Reminds me of the very old joke - French explorer is captured - head hunters tell him he has a choice, death by beheading followed by boiling in a pot of water or Boogalo. He asks what is Boogalo, turns out it is sex. He says I will have Boogalo. Chief says okay then; Death by Boogalo.

Even a good thing can be carried too far.

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I confess I never changed brake fluid in any vehicle other than bleeding at brake change until we bought a Lincoln with about 150K on the clock. It was in great shape but brakes were a little mushy, changed out everything incl calipers. Brakes were actually in decent shape, but the fluid was absolutely disgusting.
20220629_113656.jpg
Super dark as you can see with a green tint and plenty of floating particles. Yuck!
Change the stuff once in a while.

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe so. i found some youtube videos showing how to replace it. It is hidden behind the glove box, so you have to pop out the glove box, then unclip an access panel. Apparently on some older models you have to cut an access port to get to it, but that was sonly early models like 2013 and before.
I have a 15 and had to cut mine.

Big Blue Hemi

Keep on keeping on
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Laramie
Engine
Since brake fluid seems to be a topic of current discussion I will ask “what brand brake fluid is considered best?”
There are many different brands.

dwhutch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So about brake fluid, I had an 89 Ford ranger where so much gunk built up in the flexible lines the RF caliper wouldn't retract. I drove it about 30 or so miles one day and when I got out I could smell burning rubber. The right front tire was smoking. That's how hot the wheel got from the caliper dragging. I bought it used in the late 90s but I don't think it had 100k miles on it yet. I think time does more to degrade brake fluid than mileage.

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Brakes ! I’ve seen bad vinyl lines or caliper seal cause a caliper to lock up . However not old fluid . But negligents of service. Also water does Not compress . Put some in the cylinders of a engine & see what compress’ . It won’t be the water.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Brakes ! I’ve seen bad vinyl lines or caliper seal cause a caliper to lock up . However not old fluid . But negligents of service. Also water does Not compress . Put some in the cylinders of a engine & see what compress’ . It won’t be the water.

“Hydrostatic Lock”

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So about brake fluid, I had an 89 Ford ranger where so much gunk built up in the flexible lines the RF caliper wouldn't retract. I drove it about 30 or so miles one day and when I got out I could smell burning rubber. The right front tire was smoking. That's how hot the wheel got from the caliper dragging. I bought it used in the late 90s but I don't think it had 100k miles on it yet. I think time does more to degrade brake fluid than mileage.
That "gunk" is not from the brake fluid but from other part of the brake system degrading, like a seal or rubber component. Same goes as a previous post showing a picture of very dark colored brake fluid that came out of an older car. Flushing the brake fluid isn't going to fix these types of problems.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I'm just tired of all these internet posts that confuse "better" and "best", or turn something from "not a bad idea to do" into a "the truck will explode and kill a bus full of nuns if you don't do it".

Show me factory recommend maintenance schedules for replacing brake fluid.....point being is that not all manufacturers and/or models even have recommend brake fluid service intervals in the manuals.

I'm curious who said it would explode or whatever other hyperbole you've got going on there?

As far as manuals, well:

Camaro service manual:
Fluid discoloration  Cloudy appearance-moisture  Dark appearance/ suspended particles in fluid-dirt, rust, corrosion, brake dust 2. Inspect the master cylinder reservoir cap diaphragm and the reservoir-to-master cylinder grommets for swelling, indicating fluid contamination. Do any of the above conditions exist? Go to Step 5 Go to Step 12 5 1. Flush the hydraulic brake system. Refer to Hydraulic Brake System Flushing.

Note the Camaro is a bit different in that the brake fluid is also hydraulic clutch fluid, at least in my generation.

RAM manual doesn't have a service interval, but does acknowledge "wet" brake fluid in a manner very similar to what I said:

use only new brake fluid or fluid that has been in a tightly closed container. Keep the master cylinder reservoir cap secured at all times. Brake fluid in a open container absorbs moisture from the air resulting in a lower boiling point. This may cause it to boil unexpectedly during hard or prolonged braking, resulting in sudden brake failure. This could result in a collision.

Would you like to argue brake fluid doesn't draw moisture over the years while inside the car's braking system? Or is the OEM also just being hyperbolic figuring 'wet' brake fluid will turn the truck into a nun seeking missile?

A lot of people neglect a lot of basic maintenance and see no problem. You think Joe and Sally AverageDude are changing their air filters on schedule? That a dirty air filter reduces performance and fuel economy small amounts is beyond intelligent debate, but they won't 'see a problem' because it's so minor over time they don't notice. Seriously, not that deep. Change your brake fluid.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
That "gunk" is not from the brake fluid but from other part of the brake system degrading, like a seal or rubber component. Same goes as a previous post showing a picture of very dark colored brake fluid that came out of an older car. Flushing the brake fluid isn't going to fix these types of problems.

What causes the system to degrade from the inside? Would the fact 'wet' brake fluid is acidic perhaps increase the rate of degradation?