A Ram 1500 without a Hemi?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mortarman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi everyone. So I'm having a dilemma in making a decision. Not sure if I need advice or just need to vent. Anyway, so I'm going to be getting my first truck soon. Now I've been a mopar guy all my life as far as classic cars go. I've had a '67 Dodge Dart, a '68 Plymouth Satellite, and a '72 Duster. But this will be my first truck ever and I know it's going to be a shock with gas cost and whatnot since my current car gets 32 mpg. Now if it was any other brand I would not hesitate to get a 6 cylinder but I feel it's almost sacrilegious not to get a hemi in a Ram. Just to make it clear, I have no current need or future plans to tow anything.
So there is my quandary; either I risk almost certain ridicule and get a Ram with a v6 or I deal with the higher cost of lower mpg and get a hemi. Anyone want to chime in? Have at it. :)

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
U might want a V8 when on the GSP or Turnpike, just saying.... There are a lot of folks who have ED Rams and V6 Penstar Rams, there is no shame. The V8 will get U 13-18 mpg in the city and 16-22 on Hwy, at least mine does, but all on how U drive, weather, traffic, etc etc

HEY: Each to their own, LOL. I had an ED for 3 years. Great truck, rode great, great MPG. SInce I do not tow hardly ne more, and not like I travel far, 5 miles to town, the ED did not fit my needs,. NE BODY who has an ED knows U need to work them some or uh oh, LOL..

Last edited:

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
IMO get what you want and what works for you.
It is your money so :p to the haters lol..
The Hemi is a great motor and fun to drive for sure.. From all i have read MPG varies but not too bad and with in 2/3 MPG of the Pentstar V6 ! I have a 2015 1500 4x4 Quad cab with the V6 and LOVE it. I do not haul a camper and at most maybe a small boat so the V6 works for me . I avg 20 MPG around and 22
22.6 MPG Hwy at 70/75 my best was 23.4 but the 22 is normal for me ! The HEMI has had some issue but any motor can !
And if anyone doen't like you choice just tell them to **** off lol If you do plan on hauling a big trailer in the future the Hemi is a must !
We all have our opinion's so you will get alot of them lol

Last edited:

CincyZach

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Always do what is right for you! Here is my 2 cents... I love my Hemi truck, I look for excuses to drive it. If it were a V6 I would still like it, but I wouldn't be looking for an excuse to drive it. It would be very nice transportation to get me from point A to point B and back to A. For many years I drove a sensible car that got good gas milage, not because I wanted to, but because that what was best for me and my kids. If I could of afforded to do otherwise I would have, but I did what was right for me at the time. If you can afford to go with the Hemi I say go for it you only live once and you know you'll love it, but if it will financially hurt you don't do it. Then get the V6 and be happy it's not a 4 door sedan! lol. Good luck to you!

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah just personal preference, for me I stick with the hemi's cause that's what I want. If the v6's were to get twice the gas mileage I could see thinking about it, otherwise I'll pay a little more and have the v8.

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Stick with a Hemi.. gives you more then what you need right now but when you do need it you’ll be glad you have the extra power. The difference in mpg isn’t much if you learn to keep your foot out of it and use cruise control when you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I drove a Rental 300S with the 3.6. Its got some ass to it. For me, considering the weight of mine, crew cab, 6’4” bed, 4x4, the hemi moves it with ease. I am not really taxing the truck, the v6 will easily move it, just has to work harder. If I maintain consistent right foot control, I get about 17.2-17.5 mpg combined. I got 22.x mpg on a 200mi trip a couple months ago, even being leveled with heavy ass tires.
But I unleash the beast to hear it roar too.
Its your truck to fit your needs...but it sounds like you will be in a hemi. No regrets!

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Do you really want to respond to your friends yelling out "That thing gotta hemi?" by drooping your shoulders, blankly staring off into the distance and uttering under your breath "no....it's a ughh, well, a ughh V-6"....?

I am one of those super lucky guys and don't have any friends so I was able to get a V-6 EcoDiesel and not go through that nonsense, but if I did have friends, I'd of got a hemi!

All kidding aside, get what works for you.

OP
OP
mortarman

mortarman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks everyone, I guess my mind was already made up but I still needed some wise guidance. I'm gettin' a hemi! Johnny mac, your post made me laugh out loud! And you guys are right. Looking at it, the mpg savings in a v6 is not enough to justify getting one. Thanks again!

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Thanks everyone, I guess my mind was already made up but I still needed some wise guidance. I'm gettin' a hemi! Johnny mac, your post made me laugh out loud! And you guys are right. Looking at it, the mpg savings in a v6 is not enough to justify getting one. Thanks again!
Even though I LOVE my V6 I have driven the HEMI'S from the Auctions and I KNOW you will LOVE it as well :) I have to ask about your name, Is that Mortar's the ARMY uses and you were a Motar Man ??? or mortar for brickwork ? I ask because my son was a Motar Man 10th Mtn Div.

OP
OP
mortarman

mortarman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Even though I LOVE my V6 I have driven the HEMI'S from the Auctions and I KNOW you will LOVE it as well :) I have to ask about your name, Is that Mortar's the ARMY uses and you were a Motar Man ??? or mortar for brickwork ? I ask because my son was a Motar Man 10th Mtn Div.

Yes, mortar as in 60mm mortar but not as in the actual army but as in a WWII reenactor using a functional (black powder) but replica 60mm mortar. It goes back lots of years and a very long story. Although I am a veteran (USAF) not army. But thanks for asking!

OP
OP
mortarman

mortarman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well as I understand it, most likely 3.21. Am I correct in that the 3.92 is more for towing? Since I don't need to tow anything I'll go for the smaller gear ratio. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Correct. 3.21 for mileage, 3.92 for towing. A lot of people say due to the 8 speed the difference is minimal. If you ever wanted a taller tire though a 3.92 will help off set the ratio change of the taller tire.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
2 or 4 wheel drive?
2wd = 3.21
4x4 = 3.92

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Yes, mortar as in 60mm mortar but not as in the actual army but as in a WWII reenactor using a functional (black powder) but replica 60mm mortar. It goes back lots of years and a very long story. Although I am a veteran (USAF) not army. But thanks for asking!
Thanks for the reply and Thank You for your service..
My son had the smaller Mortars in Afghanistan and when they got the 60s they did not get messed with again lol
The reenactment deal sounds pretty cool !

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup...exactly were I stand. I used to have a ram 1500 and I loved it. Traded it in for a charger, but now in the next couple of years I want to get back into a pickup 4x4.

I have to stay mopar , so I’m doing homework between a ram and a brand new Jeep gladiator (basically a Jeep pickup) . I’m very torn, but since I don’t tow, and little off roading..and I’m fine with a v6.

Passed owner of a Ram 1500, Current owner of a Dodge Charger, possible future owner of a Jeep Gladiator.
Mopar for life

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Now you are faced with 3.21 vs 3.92 gearing. LSD or not...

3.92 and LSD! Might as well go all the way!

I've always gone hemi 3.92 and LSD, only thing that have changed for me drive train wise was when they started using the 8 speeds. I don't tow or have huge tires, I just much prefer the performance of the hemi matched with the 3.92's. And much prefer LSD for winters here.