A rant about electronics becoming obsolete and quitting working.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
That really does suck. As much as I think factory NAV and whatnot are nice anytime I've used them in rentals, etc. I never buy vehicles equipped with it because of exactly what you describe. I know of other people who've gone through the same thing.

IMO, there's going to be one or more smart phones in the vehicle anyway, so I just rely on them.

I don't care for aftermarket electronics either, but I do know my brother likes his big screen generic andriod he installed in his 2019 Ram 1500 classic. I think for the most part it was all plug-n-play.

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That really does suck. As much as I think factory NAV and whatnot are nice anytime I've used them in rentals, etc. I never buy vehicles equipped with it because of exactly what you describe. I know of other people who've gone through the same thing.

IMO, there's going to be one or more smart phones in the vehicle anyway, so I just rely on them.

I don't care for aftermarket electronics either, but I do know my brother likes his big screen generic andriod he installed in his 2019 Ram 1500 classic. I think for the most part it was all plug-n-play.
Aftermarket if you get a reliable brand like Sony, Kenwood, Pioneer, Alpine etc..... is always better than the cheap stock electronics they put in vehicles.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Aftermarket if you get a reliable brand like Sony, Kenwood, Pioneer, Alpine etc..... is always better than the cheap stock electronics they put in vehicles.
I hear you, but it all depends on the install. I've seen way too many "professional" hack installs of name brand audio equipment.

Bird nests of scotch-lock connectors stuffed into the dash, mashed against factory wiring, or worse.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes, I understand the fixes. I've ordered the map update ($150). It just bugs me that you pay for a thing and it stops working. I understand that technology marches on and that is fine. But nothing on a 1964 Mustang just stopped working when new cars were invented. Everything it was sold with kept working until it wore out.

I think now the proper solution is to replace the radio with a modern replacement that supports Apple Car Play. Looks like it will be a couple grand to get it done right.
So, you're complaining about something that stopped working and you weren't going to pay for the services that utilized that feature anyway? You can still update the radio via USB as you did, and updates for the maps are still available. Don't believe dodge planned on 3g being phased out when they equipped vehicles with a 3g modem.

Kenobi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L Diesel
We've got a 2015 Ram 1500 with the Hemi. It's been a good truck. Only real problem we had was the common leaky 3rd brake light issue.

However, I was driving it yesterday and the nav system was horribly out-of-date. So, I set about to figure out how to update it.

First thing I had to do was update the computer's software. It was 18.11.07 and needed an update to 18.45. Followed the instructions on the internet, downloaded and unzipped it on a thumb drive, and got it updated.

Decided to see if the update maybe would let the App Store give us Apple Car Play so I didn't have to spend $150 on the map update. I wouldn't connect, said call a phone number. I called, and the lady said that our car is 3G and all the 3G towers are gone so my car won't talk to the internet anymore. But she also told me Apple Car Play only works on 2018 and later anyway so I guess there is no need for me to connect to Uconnect anymore (although it was kind of neat to log into the mopar web site and see any issues reported by the car). But I don't want to pay $10 a month for Uconnect anyway.

I did see on the Uconnect web site there was something about "BYOD". But I plugged in my cell phone's IMEI number and it said it wasn't valid anyway. So I'm not sure if Uconnect will work with my car using my phone or what.

I'm just bummed that the car is only 7 years old and it seems like the electronic things on it are slowly starting to not be supported anymore and so they quit working. I am used to paying for things and they work until they physically break. Now with all these electronics they can just take things away from you on a whim whenever they decide they don't want to support it anymore.

Well, that's my rant.
I feel your pain. My '14 Shelby has the first generation of Ford Sync radio - which is a Microsoft operating system. It's a flaming pile of chit and I hate every aspect of it. The last update came out in 2016 or so, and that didn't really do anything.

Some companies offer a newer radio that will supposedly work with the integrated satellite radio and HVAC controls, but boy are they expensive.

Stever68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have a 2018 and it had a delamination issue, was able to get it replaced under warranty thankfully. I was actually dumb enough to pay the $150 to update the factory navigation. What a waste that was, Android Auto is still far superior.

But more to the point, all the experts. Ow are predicting that new vehicles will be subscription based. So the manufacturers will make all the vehicles the same and the extras will be sold as a subscription. Want heated and vented seats, well they are already equipped but won't function until you pay a fee, monthly or yearly for FCA to turn them on for you. Should be a real cluster

OP
OP
M

maillemaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2018 and it had a delamination issue, was able to get it replaced under warranty thankfully. I was actually dumb enough to pay the $150 to update the factory navigation. What a waste that was, Android Auto is still far superior.

But more to the point, all the experts. Ow are predicting that new vehicles will be subscription based. So the manufacturers will make all the vehicles the same and the extras will be sold as a subscription. Want heated and vented seats, well they are already equipped but won't function until you pay a fee, monthly or yearly for FCA to turn them on for you. Should be a real cluster
Yup. I really am not a fan of these "computer on wheels" cars. It is ripe for obsolescence issues, as we have already seen.

But it also opens the door for abuses like subscription-based amenities. Really ****** me off when all the hardware is there but they want money to enable it. I expect a lot of hacks that bypass the computer to turn things on/off manually.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's funny, people were griping about the 'voodoo' of computers in cars back in the 80's. Now some people call trucks from that era some of the best trucks ...lol. The aftermarket will usually find a way, and the internet is a great way to get info out. Also, 4th gen Rams being perhaps the longest running model pickup ever ...there'll be a ton of aftermarket support for years to come. Or at least I hope so :party52:

But yeah, in the meantime electronic hiccups can be expensive and a PITA at times (for me too!!!)

dapadest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
MY issue is with the UConnect (3G?) internet and messaging system. I got a ODB adapter from RAM/T-Mobile that was supposed (per FCA) to take care of the issue by using 4G. What they DIDN'T tell me is it is NOT a fix for my issues. I still lost connectivity to most internet thru the radio, and my biggest issue is the loss of text messaging thru the radio. It appears, I have no clue why, that I can RECEIVE texts thru the radio, but can not respond without picking up my phone (which is ILLEGAL) and texting back or pulling over to do it.

I think that FCA KNEW well in advance that 3G was going away and continued installing radios with the 3G hard-wired in their radios. Mine is a 2016 Laramie with all the bells and whistles, but I also have neighbors with 2018 and 2020 RAMS who ALSO lost their capabilities when 3G went away.

In my opinion, this was 'planned obsolescence' on FCA's part, especially for hard-wiring it for so long in advance and after 3G going away.

I feel that this is a safety issue, as it appears that there is NO planned fix in the works to make owners of the 3G radios WHOLE!, and forcing them to either pick up their phones or try to pull over to do it.

I would gladly pay for a replacement if I could find something that would actually give me what I had, with the caveat that 4G or 5G is not hard wired into the radio and I will be going through this again in the near future.

I'm 69 years old, and travel a lot between WI (Home) and ID to visit family, and have siblings/kids/grandkids that worry about me driving that far and making sure I'm not tired, have eaten, taking breaks, etc., etc., etc. I was also nice to punch in for gas on the radio and have it show all the nearby stations and prices, or restaurants, or lodging. I still have Sirius, but these functions do not work, keeps telling me I have no internet connectivity, so again, pick up phone (if I have service) and hunt.

This S*(ks!!

Last edited:

Taspeace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I drive a 2014 with a Uconnect 5.0. On the day that 3G went down in Seattle (sorta near where I live) the radio became locked on the station I was listening to and all the other features went dead. Uconnect is very vague about the problem, but offer to sell me a new one for $500+. The dealership says they can test to see if the radio is "fixable" (for $250), but they can't fix it. I've done a "hard re-start", but that didn't change anything. Have any of you had similar issues? I know that on that same day, certain models of Subarus all lost their radios due to the shut down of 3G. I could go aftermarket, but I'd like to use the truck's installed mic for the phone, and I was completely satisfied with the Uconnect 5.0 before it froze up.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Side note worth mentioning, FCA just started putting wireless carplay/android auto in vehicles, but if your's doesn't have wireless but does have carplay/auto ability via wire get one of these. Worth it IMHO: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08ZHCS8R3

I've had wireless in a couple of rentals and it's a very cool feature. It took me a little bit to figure out how to connect, since I had to do a hardline connection first, but once set up it's so easy to use.

naclty1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have a 2021 2500 Tradesman with the 8.5 screen. No nav from the factory. It will do nav via car play or android. Although my phone connects via Bluetooth I also plug it in and put the phone in its cradle I installed on the dash.
My only issue with the nav is when I get no cell service, I have a scrolling graph pad of a screen with a directional arrow, that is not fun.
My wife’s car has the chip you pay $150 to upgrade the maps on her in car navigation.
I have used for years and just purchased a Garmin RV unit to use in the truck. Free updates for the life of the unit, uses satellite vs cell signal, and they’ve always worked for me for the years I’ve used them.
The “new” ones, including the one I just bought allows you to Bluetooth your phone to it but since I’ve already got that set up in the truck I won’t be doing that.
I believe but because I haven’t hooked it up, it allows you to make/receive calls and setup your destination among other things.

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Which brings the question.....do you have to pay the price of having these things already in th car and then have to pay a again monthly to have them work?
I see that being a major flop for car dealers.

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Side note worth mentioning, FCA just started putting wireless carplay/android auto in vehicles, but if your's doesn't have wireless but does have carplay/auto ability via wire get one of these. Worth it IMHO: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08ZHCS8R3
I don't really see an advantage being able to do this wirelessly.
IDK...maybe I'm missing something. Why is it worth spending $125 to do that when I can just plug it in?

Last edited:

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I don't really see an advantage being able to do this wirelessly.....and then spending $125 to do something i can do by plugging it in and its charging while its plugged in.
IDK...maybe I'm missing something. Why is it worth spending $125 to do that?

On a long trip I'll plug it in and leave it. Short trips, I can leave it in my pocket and not futz with it from stop to stop. I do it with bluetooth now, but sound quality is better through wifi than bluetooth, so using this wireless is like plugging it in. In rental cars, wireless was great.

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On a long trip I'll plug it in and leave it. Short trips, I can leave it in my pocket and not futz with it from stop to stop. I do it with bluetooth now, but sound quality is better through wifi than bluetooth, so using this wireless is like plugging it in. In rental cars, wireless was great.
Ah, well there ya go, I never leave my phone in my pocket while in the car.

CaptQ

Reaction score
Save your money!

I added the adapter to my Power Wagon and after lots of calls and problem solving it only worked half the time.

How well did it work you ask? Shows my truck off the coast of Africa.

D7B134F9-505D-40FD-805C-FD7572975E76.png

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just curious if the Power Wagon has 5G capability? That would give you longer service life (presumably).

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The FCC had planned to shut down 3G for quite a while
3G bandwidth was only partially used, so in their mind, it was inefficient.
FCC is going to Auction Off the Frequencies used by 3G

I can still use my 2016 Ram Bighorn Bluetooth to make phone calls & receive some Text messaging, i never tried to send text messages
Yesterday, my radio made me jump, i was listening to an FM station with Stereo. All of a sudden an Emergency Broadcast came over the speakers.

I never used the FEE Based Apps, that i think used 3G, but then again, i have never owned a Smart Phone

I once had trouble with Navigation, but once i uploaded 18.11.07 to my 2016 RA4 8.4AN unit. everything straightened out