A sincere plea to Ram Power Wagon drivers [emoji4][emoji120]

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AzTrifecta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hello all, I am here today to make a sincere appeal for the help of Ram Power Wagon Truck owners. I am in the process of gathering information to find the right truck to fit my needs/ lifestyle. I currently drive a 2002 1500 Chevy Silverado. It’s been a good truck. Still runs great at 250k. But I’m looking to go a step up, to a 2500’s size.

In my search I have discovered the Ram 2500 Power Wagon. And it’s my top choice so far! I’m here today to hopefully hear from some of the people who drive them daily. To see if this truck, will indeed meet my needs. [emoji120]

A little about my lifestyle: I live in Arizona. So yes it’s Hot!! Lol. But every day I make a climb to 6800 ft elevation. Which means in the winter I also have Snow & ice. I need 4wheel drive just to get out of my driveway at times..lol. I was born to family of cattle ranchers. And it’s my where my heart & passion is. Throughout the year I often ride for many local ranchers. So I need a truck that can handle hauling horse trailers in rough terrain at times. And that can hold up to dirt wash board roads over the years. And that can also handle the pull of the steep climb up the Mountain back home when I’m done. But I also have my city girl side ;) I enjoy my creature comforts too. And often find myself visiting one for a weekend :) I’m looking for a truck that will handle both city, ranch style & mountain snow lifestyles.

The reason I’m attracted to the Power Wagon. Is it appears to be an all around truck. That can handle any situation you might find yourself in. It can go anywhere & is still beefy enough to haul a horse trailer while doing it. My life varies greatly every day. One day is cow **** & mud... the next day the Las Vegas strip! Lol

And I also just like the look of the Power Wagons. The 14 inch clearance gives it a little tougher appearance even stock. And the graphics give it just enough flash to not be like “every other” truck out there. I wish the cab size wasn’t only crew cab & mega cab. I don’t have kids & rarely have more than two or three passengers. I’m used to the extended cab size. And wonder how much different the PW size will feel to drive?

Please anyone that drives a Power Wagon. Let me know if you think this truck won’t fit my needs.

I’ll most likely be buying a newer used truck/ low milage. Ie 2015. +/- Are there are any “red flag” problems I should watch out for? The only negative thing I’ve heard is that the transmissions tend to go out at 50k miles or so. Do you find that to be true? And is that particular to any year specifically?

All suggestions & opinions will be greatly appreciated. Because after all ... who is better to actually know? Than the people who drive them. [emoji106]. Thank you & hope to be one of you soon! [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to Ramforum.

There's no truth to a prevalent 50K transmission failure issue. I believe it's a legacy of some weaker transmissions that were standard in previous generation Ram pickups. The 68RFE transmission found in the 2500 Ram trucks is extremely stout and will last a long time with proper maintenance.

The Power Wagon comes equipped as a 3/4T truck with the 5.7L or 6.4L gas HEMI engines or the Cummins diesel. The 5.7L will probably not have the power you need for towing your horse trailer. The 6.4L will as long as it's not a 3 horse setup. Plenty of power with the 6.4 and the diesel provides quite a bit more torque. I

f you are going to be towing a horse trailer do you know how heavy it is, loaded? Is it a tow behind or a gooseneck/fifth wheel type hitch setup? I am asking as while the Power Wagon is a great truck, you may need the 6.4L HEMI or a diesel truck to tow the trailer.

To be clear, just realize that the Power Wagon compares very closely with the other 2500 rated trucks from Ram so powertrains will be the same, whether it's the HEMI or the Cummins turbo diesel.

2015 + models are good ones and mostly sorted as far as any new truck, new powertrain shortcomings. You won't have much to worry about with that year or newer truck.

The truck is probably a bit taller, but no longer, than your current truck. The crew cab setup is what you get with the Power Wagon but it is very nice arrangement. I normally don't have passengers with me, either, so I run with the back seat folded down which creates a nice big flat deck behind the front seat to haul stuff you'd rather not have in the truck bed.

Good luck with your truck search.

Punishher7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
MADDOG is on point other than the PW coming with a Cummins. The only options are/were the 5.7 & 6.4 Hemi. Not sure of the exact year but recently RAM dropped the 5.7 altogether in the PW so now they only come w/ the 6.4. My daily rig is a 2018 PW and other than the gas mileage it is a hoot to drive. As long as 12 mpg average doesn’t scare you, I highly recommend one!

aad65a13f2416151e2f70bbf04a2987f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
AzTrifecta

AzTrifecta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My thanks to both of you for all the great info!! In regards to the weight of a trailer. I’d like to add a ball for a gooseneck. As that is what most people have here. I have an OLD two horse. Handed down from my father. It’s heavy heavy heavy. My 1500 screams & struggles to pull it up with one horse in it. But I plan to sell it for a lighter two horse slant or small stock trailer instead. I apologize ..I’m terrible at weight guesstimating. Lol Mostly I’d just need to haul a horse or two. But need the flexibility for example: to be able to haul a load of cows in your average Gooseneck stock trailer around the ranch. Lol.

It’s also good to know the length is no longer than my current truck. Visually it just seems so much bigger! But I read the PW has a shorter turning radius than the Chevy. That’s always a plus when parking!

Also trust me I’ve been warned by everyone about the gas milage! It doesn’t scare me enough to scare me off!

I will be sure to look for the newer 68RFE transmission too. That’s a relief! Again I appreciate the help so much! I’ll be posting pics in no time!! In fact, If anyone knows of a good deal on one... send it my way! Lol. .

BlkZrx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 SLT Std. cab
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You'll find the PW has a softer suspension, therefore a little less towing / load capacity then a regular 2500. Probably not a problem for a horse trailer, but if you're considering bigger loads later on..

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk

monteholic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
the Power Wagon comes with the 66RFE transmission not the 68RFE and its my biggest complaint of my Wagon

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My apologies....I was looking at the standard 2500 specs rather than the PW spec.

It is a 6.4L engine only.

The 66RFE transmission equipment standard surprises me.

Maybe it's a better idea if the OP gets a 2500 with the 68RFE transmission, a 6.4L HEMI and 3.73 gears.