A/T Tire: Nokian Outpost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Giorgio_Rampa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
Anyone running these tires in Canada? More specifically, Quebec.

I'm currently shopping around for tires and I wanted something that's good for winter (we get a lot of snow/ice).
The tire must have the snowflake on it because of the provincial laws.

Current options:
Nokian Outpost ($1,479 CDN installed)
or
Nokian Nordman 7 ($1,577 CDN installed) and pay $120 every season to swap the tires back to the OEM All Season tires.

Thanks in advance everyone!

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Nokian makes much better tires for winter. Studded 10 suv.

Also, buy a second set of rims to put them on.

Attachments

• IMG_20220913_122359.jpg
    IMG_20220913_122359.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
Giorgio_Rampa

Giorgio_Rampa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
Nokian makes much better tires for winter. Studded 10 suv.

Also, buy a second set of rims to put them on.

I wanted to avoid studded tires (I already have those on my car).

I ended up ordering the Outpost A/T, I don't have space for a second set of rims.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
From what I know of nokian, I think you will love them!
Im on the greater south shore of Montreal and worked for a long time in a automobile garage and we sold and installed nokians by the dozen. they were a newcomer to the market at first but now they are reputed as being an excellent winter tire in our varying conditions. once you drive them in real winter conditions you wont want anything else. I run them in the winter ever since!

OP
OP
Giorgio_Rampa

Giorgio_Rampa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
From what I know of nokian, I think you will love them!
Im on the greater south shore of Montreal and worked for a long time in a automobile garage and we sold and installed nokians by the dozen. they were a newcomer to the market at first but now they are reputed as being an excellent winter tire in our varying conditions. once you drive them in real winter conditions you wont want anything else. I run them in the winter ever since!

Yeah I've been using Nokian tires for 10+ years now. Never going back to another brand for winter tires.

What's your take on the Outpost on the RAM?

I'll give a review once I pick up my truck haha!

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yeah I've been using Nokian tires for 10+ years now. Never going back to another brand for winter tires.

What's your take on the Outpost on the RAM?

I'll give a review once I pick up my truck haha!
no personal experience for me but ive seen a few on contractor trucks and the one guy i asked said they were good so theres that haha

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
lol that truck needs a bath! and mud flaps! the truck will stay cleaner longer by having less debris flung at it by the tires and if you keep it for a long time the paint behind the wheels will thank you! with all the salt and sand we have on the roads around here it doesn't take long to sandblast the area with road spray

here are my mopar mud flaps. they work fine and were included with the truck so perfect for me. but I can see if you had bigger wheels and tires you would need different flaps

you might recognize one of the backgrounds its in your town!
the other 2 are across the lake on my side haha
:favorites13:

Attachments

• 20221015_154629.jpg
    20221015_154629.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220910_131012.jpg
    20220910_131012.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220910_131528.jpg
    20220910_131528.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20221015_154553.jpg
    20221015_154553.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
Giorgio_Rampa

Giorgio_Rampa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
I actually don't recognize the background haha! But I think I saw your truck a few weeks before I got mine, you can spot the blue from a mile away!

The salt doesn't get caught up between mudguards and the body?
I was thinking of putting some, but I don't want salt build up, then it will lead to rust...

How much were the Mopar ones?

The truck will shine in the spring/summer lol!
Too cold to wash it :(

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
haha! its possible theres only 2 or 3 blue warlocks that ive seen often in this area.
the middle two are taken at poste dorion HQ after my rustproofing at your local krown (rue chicoine - highly recommend)
the other 2 are are on the other side of the barrage les cedres

to be honest its possible to have some abrasives temporarily stuck in there but ill take my chances vs the 100% probability forecast of sand and salt showers with rock chips in the mix for fun!

good rustproofing habits and regular washing are your best bet for keeping rust at bay! i prefer the krown product and the people that do it in vaudreuil are really professional and run a good business. and the price is good
the product does drip a bit after application be warned but its worth it with its great penetrating/creeping qualities

the mopar flaps are probably around 50 tp 75 each set but if youre paying for them out of your pocket do your research for best bang for the buck, ease of installation et cetra
the mopar ones screw/push pin into the existing holes

OP
OP
Giorgio_Rampa

Giorgio_Rampa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
I didn't even know that there was a Krown in the area, I've been going to St-Jean (West Island) for my other cars.
Krown is great!

If I get them, I'll get the Mopar ones, I don't want to drill any new holes.
I'll start shopping around with them, it's that or a 3M protector to prevent any stone chips.

zrock

Reaction score
a little late to reply to this one. I have those tires and found they really suck in snow. Usually i do not have to use 4x4 in the winter unless its deep or im on a lick uphill trying to get moving. This year with these tires i had to use it just about every time to get rolling.
Also was not impressed with the local Kal tire that installed them. They messed up my alignment 3x causing a fair amount of wear and i ended up paying for the difference in tires and installation for 2 tires and not the 4 that we damaged. Last set of tires i get from them ill go back to the Canadian tire brand of tires that were great and long wearing or go to BFG's

OP
OP
Giorgio_Rampa

Giorgio_Rampa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
I drove it in a light snow fall and the truck was sliding in 2WD... I think I'll get a dedicated winter set (probably studded tires).

They look amazing though haha!

OP
OP
Giorgio_Rampa

Giorgio_Rampa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
Couldn't edit the first post, but after driving ~15,000 KM with these, here's the verdict:
- Looks great
- Slides when you're taking off from a stop in the rain
- Extremely slippery on mud
- Does not do well with very little snow (~5 cm) on the ground

Keep in mind, this is all in 2WD and with no weight in the bed.

I would NOT recommend these for winter, let alone Quebec winters... It's fair to say, that Nokian doesn't make good summer/all weather tires.
I'll look into some Hakkapeliitta for the winter.

zrock

Reaction score
ill agree with that... these are the absolute worst tires i have ever owned had to have another 2 replaced and after a few emails to their HO they covered the cost. Its interesting as the reviews on the previous version of this tire were great but their was not a lot of reviews on the new version and lets just say they really messed up on these ones... Next year i plan on replacing them and probably get a set of BFG's, i would replace them this year but want to pay off a few things prior..

Absolute garbage tire..

To bad Canadian tire quit producing the tire i used to get from their was a great all around tire and was long wearing...

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Couldn't edit the first post, but after driving ~15,000 KM with these, here's the verdict:
- Looks great
- Slides when you're taking off from a stop in the rain
- Extremely slippery on mud
- Does not do well with very little snow (~5 cm) on the ground

Keep in mind, this is all in 2WD and with no weight in the bed.

I would NOT recommend these for winter, let alone Quebec winters... It's fair to say, that Nokian doesn't make good summer/all weather tires.
I'll look into some Hakkapeliitta for the winter.
Well, I am not in snow belt, but I run these Falkens, and they did well in our lil -5F winter we had in 2021 with 8" ice/snow etc.,. Just what I use. My bigger problem is hydroplaning when we actually get our normal rain. Just posting FYI. Falken Wildpeak AT3W's M & S rated tire. Just showing another option so OP is informed.

New tire on truck.jpgNew tires left side truck.jpg

OP
OP
Giorgio_Rampa

Giorgio_Rampa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
@turkeybird56
My buddy has the same Falken's and they're doing great in our winter as well.
For now, I'll run these Nokian's until they're dead and get a dedicated winter tire.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@turkeybird56
My buddy has the same Falken's and they're doing great in our winter as well.
For now, I'll run these Nokian's until they're dead and get a dedicated winter tire.
Dedicated winter tire ==== dedicated rims. U may want to keep an eye out and pick up 4 if U R gonna go that route so U have on hand.