A Thought On Power Wagon Towing Specs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RSL0311USMC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
M
Engine
M
I always here people say to me man that's a big truck but it cant tow as much as bla bla bla. I know because it's meant for offroad and the ability to flex. So in my time today I was thinking about my old 2002 Ford F350 7.3 that I had with bigger swamps hybrid injectors, turbo, built trans and the list goes on and what it could tow. Anyway if you compare both as far as towing you would be shocked at how close they are especially one being a diesel and a torque monster in its day. Our Wagons tow about 10k and some have towed more and below I will post the specs on the 2002 F350 7.3. I dont know why I thought it was crazy but I did. Just shows you how far the tow specs for trucks have come since 2002 especially diesels. I think our rigs do plenty for what they are.

Power Wagon just shy of 10,000 lbs

20200130_015905.jpg

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Blows me away considering my 2015 ram 1500 sport 5.7 8 speed is good for 10,000 and change but a powerwagon is less? [emoji848] Weird... I was under the Impression the frames were the same as the diesels?
e1cf315c2ca7b10f0c65288a00ec029e.jpg

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Blows me away considering my 2015 ram 1500 sport 5.7 8 speed is good for 10,000 and change but a powerwagon is less? [emoji848] Weird... I was under the Impression the frames were the same as the diesels?
The frames aren’t the limiting factor, it’s the crazy soft suspension. They sag under any amount of weight.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep. Its the taller and flexier suspension that kills the towing. And weak ass D rated tires... I mean wtf, they have the same size duratrac with the E rating, why the hell dont they use them?!

Rated R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yep. Its the taller and flexier suspension that kills the towing. And weak ass D rated tires... I mean wtf, they have the same size duratrac with the E rating, why the hell dont they use them?!

Possibly a better ride?

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
At least Ford is concerned about their truck's towing and the driver's safety in regards to the decreased capabilities at high altitude.

I tow 99% of the time at high altitude. A stretch of highway that I drive back and forth on between Vail, Colorado to Woodland Park, Colorado is a distance 120 miles one way. It never drops below 8,000 feet in elevation and the highest summit of the four is just slightly above 11,500 feet at Hoosier Pass. I am guessing that the average elevation of this route is around 9,000 feet. Towing capacity drops some 18% per Ford at that altitude.

I could assume that our Ram Power Wagon trucks are invincible and don't have similar decreased capabilities at high altitude as the Ford trucks do, but then I can state from experience that there is a noticeable loss of power at high altitude with my Power Wagon versus driving it at sea level.

Per the 2020 Ford truck towing manual....

"High Altitude Operation
Gasoline engines lose power by 3-4% per 1,000 ft.
elevation. To maintain performance, reduce GVWs
and GCWs by 2% per 1,000 ft. elevation starting at
the 1,000 ft. elevation point."

This statement has been in their towing manual for the F-150 to F-250 pickup trucks from at least as far back as 2013 through their current 2020's.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
There’s no point in engaging in debates with people that are trying to pump up their little man egos. It’s a purpose built truck.

I’ve had 3500’s with Cummins, and of course the PW. For the purpose of highway towing, one of those things is better than the other.

Saying one is better than the other is like comparing a carpenter’s hammer to a sledgehammer. They each have a purpose.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't understand the people bad-mouthing the Power Wagon for the payload and towing capacities. It's clearly stated in all the literature and documentation what the capacities are. Not like they are advertising it as the ultimate tow rig and then people find out after the fact it is not. Not really any different than somebody buying a 1500 series truck and then moaning it doesn't do a good job towing around their 25,000 lb. goosneck equipment trailer. The Ford Raptor is the same way. I believe the towing capacity on a 2020 Raptor is between 6,000-8,000 lbs. pending options, where as you can get over 13,000 lbs. towing capacity on a regular F-150.

For the comment about the D vs. E rated tires........same reason they use lighter springs. The D rated tires are softer for a better ride and generally get better traction off-road because they actually flex and conform to the terrain.

Also keep in mind that while the current Power Wagon towing capacities are low compared to current "normal" Ram 2500 trucks, they are very comparable to older models. My last truck was an '03 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L gas truck with all of the HD and towing options available at the time and was only rated at 9,800 lbs. towing!

OP
OP
R

RSL0311USMC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
M
Engine
M
Just think of the power wagon like a giant jeep rubicon. They are made to climb over things and flex. If it had the regular suspension set up it would be the same as the other 2500s.

OP
OP
R

RSL0311USMC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
M
Engine
M
I don't understand the people bad-mouthing the Power Wagon for the payload and towing capacities. It's clearly stated in all the literature and documentation what the capacities are. Not like they are advertising it as the ultimate tow rig and then people find out after the fact it is not. Not really any different than somebody buying a 1500 series truck and then moaning it doesn't do a good job towing around their 25,000 lb. goosneck equipment trailer. The Ford Raptor is the same way. I believe the towing capacity on a 2020 Raptor is between 6,000-8,000 lbs. pending options, where as you can get over 13,000 lbs. towing capacity on a regular F-150.

For the comment about the D vs. E rated tires........same reason they use lighter springs. The D rated tires are softer for a better ride and generally get better traction off-road because they actually flex and conform to the terrain.

Also keep in mind that while the current Power Wagon towing capacities are low compared to current "normal" Ram 2500 trucks, they are very comparable to older models. My last truck was an '03 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L gas truck with all of the HD and towing options available at the time and was only rated at 9,800 lbs. towing!
Yeah that's what I am saying at the top compared to the 7.3 diesel in 02. I honestly wonder if people dont know what a power wagon is or the mechanics and ability behind it. Plus it's not all hyped up like the Raptor. I have people say were did you get that winch to. I say it came with it they go no way what's a power wagon lol.

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
One thing the PW does better than a diesel and similar 1500 towing rate truck is off road towing. Last night I had to pull a broken down 10,000 lbs tractor off my farm. Neighbor wanted to use his tractor because he thought no way a truck could tow it in the mud as it had been raining all day. His tractor couldn’t do it. Hooked it to the PW, put it in 4 wheel low and locked the diffs and never even spun a tire. I can tell you that as bad ass as my 2017 Powerstroke was, it would have torn ruts through my farm pulling the tractor. So, it all depends on your purpose. I didn’t need to pull 15,000 lbs anymore but regularly need to pull around 6,000 to 8,000 lbs off road. So PW better than Powerstroke for me and I’ll take the ride quality. All I need to do is add the the air bags like Olyelr. I do occasionally tow 12,500(10,000 lbs tractor plus trailer) up to John Deere with the PW. It’s all farm country with no traffic but that’s the day I miss the Powerstroke!

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
I used my PW once again to tow a homemade wood plank plow to clear several inches to a foot deep in places of snow this morning. Living rural at high altitude we have lots of snow and it pretty much stays put for weeks to months depending on season temperatures. Cleared about 1/4 mile of my road down to the dirt within 5 minutes. Clears up to 2 feet deep and 9 and 1/2 feet wide with ease. Had to engage both the front and rear lockers after going up an incline due to I had stopped. Got instant traction.

On my 1998 Chevrolet K1500 4x4 I don't have such features other than a self locking rear 3.73 to 1 gear ratio differential and so I disconnect the plow when it gets stuck, back down the grade, install tire chains on the 32" Duratracs, and give the hill another 4,000 RPM 4x4 1st gear compound low WOT all out run to the top towing the plow. So much easier with the Power Wagon.

Resized_20200127_140626.jpeg

20200128_123540.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RSL0311USMC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
M
Engine
M
One thing the PW does better than a diesel and similar 1500 towing rate truck is off road towing. Last night I had to pull a broken down 10,000 lbs tractor off my farm. Neighbor wanted to use his tractor because he thought no way a truck could tow it in the mud as it had been raining all day. His tractor couldn’t do it. Hooked it to the PW, put it in 4 wheel low and locked the diffs and never even spun a tire. I can tell you that as bad ass as my 2017 Powerstroke was, it would have torn ruts through my farm pulling the tractor. So, it all depends on your purpose. I didn’t need to pull 15,000 lbs anymore but regularly need to pull around 6,000 to 8,000 lbs off road. So PW better than Powerstroke for me and I’ll take the ride quality. All I need to do is add the the air bags like Olyelr. I do occasionally tow 12,500(10,000 lbs tractor plus trailer) up to John Deere with the PW. It’s all farm country with no traffic but that’s the day I miss the Powerstroke!
Hell yeah that's awesome and totally agree.

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I used my PW once again to tow a homemade wood plank plow to clear several inches to a foot deep in places of snow this morning. Living rural at high altitude we have lots of snow and it pretty much stays put for weeks to months depending on season temperatures. Cleared about 1/4 mile of my road down to the dirt within 5 minutes. Clears up to 2 feet deep and 9 and 1/2 feet wide with ease. Had to engage both the front and rear lockers after going up an incline due to I had stopped. Got instant traction.

On my 1998 Chevrolet K1500 4x4 I don't have such features other than a self locking rear 3.73 to 1 gear ratio differential and so I disconnect the plow when it gets stuck, back down the grade, install tire chains on the 32" Duratracs, and give the hill another 4,000 RPM 4x4 1st gear compound low WOT all out run to the top towing the plow. So much easier with the Power Wagon.

View attachment 193499

View attachment 193500
That’s awesome! Tried to get my wife to move out to Montana when we decided to leave Nashville but she wanted to go back home. Do you have trout fishing where you are at? Used to go to Livingston for a week to fish from sunup to sundown. Kids got in the way of that now

donivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just think of the power wagon like a giant jeep rubicon. They are made to climb over things and flex. If it had the regular suspension set up it would be the same as the other 2500s.
That's exactly how I think of a PW....a Giant Rubicon....except I use the term Heavy Duty Rubicon! I see some jeep guys spend big $$$ putting HD axles and V8 motors which comes factory on the PW. For towing it's all about your perspective and where you are coming from....I was originally thinking of getting a Jeep Wrangler since I really don't tow but wanted the offload capability; then the Gladiator came out I'm like whoa...twice the towing and more payload capability for a little more money; when I found out about the PW it was even more towing and payload capability plus much roomier inside so I was sold!

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
That’s awesome! Tried to get my wife to move out to Montana when we decided to leave Nashville but she wanted to go back home. Do you have trout fishing where you are at? Used to go to Livingston for a week to fish from sunup to sundown. Kids got in the way of that now

Yes, we have some 300 small lakes with trout up on the Grand Mesa, but the season up there is quite short at the high altitude lakes due to there's little access through the deep snow without a snowmobile. The Power Wagon helps with the mud in Spring. The long winter season doesn't stop ice fishing out on our largest lake the Blue Mesa near Gunnison which is accessible during all seasons. Drove pass there last Friday and there were dedicated ice fishermen out on the lake. Trophy sized brown trout, rainbow trout, and lake trout. I take my powerboat out there during the summer. Elevation is 7,500 feet and it normally gets extremely cold during winter with a record low of minus 60 degrees Fahrenheit.

If you want to know what this area looks like then watch the 1969 True Grit movie with John Wayne.

https://icefishcolorado.com/colorado-ice-fishing-trips/blue-mesa-reservoir-ice-fishing/

https://westerncooutdoors.com/archives/5165

Last edited:

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, we have some 300 small lakes with trout up on the Grand Mesa, but the season up there is quite short at the high altitude lakes due to there's little access through the deep snow without a snowmobile. The Power Wagon helps with the mud in Spring. The long winter season doesn't stop ice fishing out on our largest lake the Blue Mesa near Gunnison which is accessible during all seasons. Drove pass there last Friday and there were dedicated ice fishermen out on the lake. Trophy sized brown trout, rainbow trout, and lake trout. I take my powerboat out there during the summer. Elevation is 7,500 feet and it normally gets extremely cold during winter with a record low of minus 60 degrees Fahrenheit.

If you want to know what this area looks like then watch the 1969 True Grit movie with John Wayne.

https://icefishcolorado.com/colorado-ice-fishing-trips/blue-mesa-reservoir-ice-fishing/

https://westerncooutdoors.com/archives/5165
Looked up those links and I’m so jealous

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
I always here people say to me man that's a big truck but it cant tow as much as bla bla bla. I know because it's meant for offroad and the ability to flex. So in my time today I was thinking about my old 2002 Ford F350 7.3 that I had with bigger swamps hybrid injectors, turbo, built trans and the list goes on and what it could tow. Anyway if you compare both as far as towing you would be shocked at how close they are especially one being a diesel and a torque monster in its day. Our Wagons tow about 10k and some have towed more and below I will post the specs on the 2002 F350 7.3. I dont know why I thought it was crazy but I did. Just shows you how far the tow specs for trucks have come since 2002 especially diesels. I think our rigs do plenty for what they are.

Power Wagon just shy of 10,000 lbs

View attachment 193451
Wow, the PW is not that far off from the coveted 7.3 f350. I do not hot-shot for a living so 10,000 is enough for me in the PW tow ratings. The drive train will not fail us if we hook a tow strap up to a broken down rig pulling a trailer, to pull it off the road or out of harms way. Apparently it pulls a home-made plow well too!

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Another comment is I don't think a lot of people understand how big of a trailer 10,000 lbs. can be. And also that a lot of people making negative comments don't tow a heavy trailer anyways, and maybe have never towed a trailer period!

In regards to a bumper pull camper trailer, a 10,000 lb. version getting to be pretty big trailer. You are getting into the 35'+ range with multiple slide outs.

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Another comment is I don't think a lot of people understand how big of a trailer 10,000 lbs. can be. And also that a lot of people making negative comments don't tow a heavy trailer anyways, and maybe have never towed a trailer period!

In regards to a bumper pull camper trailer, a 10,000 lb. version getting to be pretty big trailer. You are getting into the 35'+ range with multiple slide outs.
Same can be said about payload. I’m not sure what people are wanting to put in their bed that weighs more than 1500 lbs. If I need to haul 3,000 in the bed it’s going to be with a flat bed and loaded with a fork lift. When I fill my bed completely full of feed/seed, only about 1200 lbs will even fit. So these shorter bed 1/2 tons that have a higher payload I cannot imagine what would be 2,000 lbs and even fit. Maybe if you put 4 overweight men in the cab and filled the bed with bowling balls!