A trunk for my Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

19RCSB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I ordered my truck I was going order the Rambox option until I went and looked at one in person. It's a great idea, but I was not impressed with the construction and fit and finish. The one I looked at didn't close and fit as nicely as I had expected. After thinking it over, I decided not to order the Ramboxes.

So I went a different route for lockable storage. I made this plywood box which fits into the bed divider slots in the side walls of the box. It is completely removable by lifting it out with the top handles. It locks down securely with toggle clamps attached to the tie down hooks in the bed.

When the tailgate is locked it is completely secure. You can't release the clamps and remove the box with the tailgate up. They are only accessible from the rear. It's made of 1/2" marine plywood, and I coated it with Herculiner bed liner paint. Most of the hardware is stainless.

I think it will be handy for things like golf clubs, or anything that I don't want exposed. I'll try it for a while and see how it goes. If it gets to be in the way too much I can just take it out and store it in the garage.

018.JPG 020.JPG 011.JPG 004.JPG 012.JPG

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I looked at a 19 Power Wagon with the Ram boxes and one of the putter trim pieces was already coming off so that alone turned me off of getting the Ram boxes.
Back on subject... your storage chest... How has it affected your mpg’s??
I really like the box excellent construction BTW

The Blue Mule

OP
OP
19RCSB

19RCSB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I looked at a 19 Power Wagon with the Ram boxes and one of the putter trim pieces was already coming off so that alone turned me off of getting the Ram boxes.
Back on subject... your storage chest... How has it affected your mpg’s??
I really like the box excellent construction BTW

The Blue Mule

I just finished it up so I don't have any miles on it yet. I'm hoping it won't affect the gas mileage. The top is flush with tailgate top, so I don't think it will make much difference.

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Turned out nice......

And looks easy enough to remove if needed

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
What if I just so happened to have a 6" hole saw in my pocket?

Well fabricated, are you against a tonneau cover? I'd imagine even a cheap $150 one would pay for itself quickly in aerodynamic fuel savings if you do any highway driving.

Last edited:

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Does it not rain where you live? Nice work but I don't think it would last long in Houston weather. I would like something to keep my junk towards the tailgate area as well.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I just finished it up so I don't have any miles on it yet. I'm hoping it won't affect the gas mileage. The top is flush with tailgate top, so I don't think it will make much difference.

I am thinking it will affect mpg on hwy trips by changing the airflow in the bed. As you said though easily removable. Nice job. Will warping in the hot sun be an issue ?

OP
OP
19RCSB

19RCSB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I considered a tonneau cover, but I'm not crazy about how they look. maybe I've only looked at cheap ones, but the ones I've seen looked a little flimsy, like you could tear them open with a pocket knife. You're not getting into this thing with a pocket knife. Now a Sawzall is a different story. :)

How this box holds up to weather and temperatures remains to be seen. It's marine grade plywood and I used exterior grade adhesive. The truck is garaged, so that will help. The herculiner paint seems pretty tough, but only time will tell how it holds up to the elements.

I've got about $125 in materials and my time to build it. We'll see how it holds up. I'll report back if it self-destructs.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What if I just so happened to have a 6" hole saw in my pocket?

Well fabricated, are you against a tonneau cover? I'd imagine even a cheap $150 one would pay for itself quickly in aerodynamic fuel savings if you do any highway driving.
Tonneau covers do nothing for gas mileage in any kind of driving.

18ram18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great job 19RCSB. I have the ram boxes no complaints great fit and finish on mine. If i had to find a problem with the RB is that it can't hold my golf clubs. The only problem I have with yours is no access to the rest of the bed with your box installed.
Did you consider making your storage box run front to back so you could get to bed?

OP
OP
19RCSB

19RCSB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great job 19RCSB. I have the ram boxes no complaints great fit and finish on mine. If i had to find a problem with the RB is that it can't hold my golf clubs. The only problem I have with yours is no access to the rest of the bed with your box installed.
Did you consider making your storage box run front to back so you could get to bed?

I thought ramboxes were big enough for a set of clubs. Is it the width or height or the length that is the problem?

Yea, mine definitely has it's limitations if I need to load something big. That's why I made it fairly easy to remove. I never thought to make it front to back. But that's an idea.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Looks r like you did a real nice job on it ! Should hold up well and I really do not thing it will effect MPG! What are the clamps you used to hold the box down ? I have a Bed Box that I have strapped in but like you clamps better ! Thanks

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
That is a fantastic concept!

M² Mods.