A Winch(no not the Wife)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamItFaster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Tradesman
Engine
Cummins
I know nothing about them. Have a small one on the VW sandrail, but I want one for the RAM. Own a '18 2500 Tradesman CTD 4x4. Lota places to get stuck on the property, mountainside in the trees with lots of soft wet loam. Pacific Northwest is a mighty wet part of the country.
Sure the AT tires help, but if I ever do get in a hairy situation I would like to know how powerful of a winch i would need to get unstuck. Thank you for any info y'all out there may have.

P.s. sorry I put this Thread here, but I couldn't find a 4x4 Forum and this didn't quite seem to fall under the Towing & Hauling Fotum

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I’d start at Warn.com. Are they expensive? Yes. For a reason.

Not to say there are not other good winches out there, but you have to shop carefully. And even Warn now sells their name on some lower price made in China winches.

For a heavy truck like yours I’d want 12k as a starting point.

There is a place for inexpensive winches; it’s the people who travel in groups and can assist one another. No biggie if one stops working. If you travel alone then buy reliability. That means quality construction with good seals against water intrusion.

OP
OP
RamItFaster

RamItFaster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Tradesman
Engine
Cummins
Serendipitous that you brought up Warn, they are offered by the same people I'm wanting to get my brush guard from haha. And yes my truck is the only 4x4 on my property, so unless I want to call a tow truck while getting stuck I do prefer a reliable yet expensive winch. Those who buy cheap get cheap results, i.e. failure. Thank you

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dont buy a Chinese warn. Cheap hardware and poor build quality

I speak first hand.

Since u have a 2500, you should have options for a winch mount. Including a hidden winch.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
I've owned both Warn and Smittybilt, those are the only two brands I recommend. Just be aware that you'll likely need additional recovery gear to use your winch (i.e. tree saver or tow strap, shackles...). Good number of choices from those manufacturers - capacity, wired vs wireless operation, IP rating...

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Mile Marker is pretty decent

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dont get me wrong about warn....just buy american built

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Dont get me wrong about warn....just buy american built

American built means nothing... My American built warn on my atv has the cheaper pressed powder composite gears. The damn cheap no name China built winch my buddy bought for his canam is all steal gesrs and a 40% stronger motor.
My warn hasn't failed yet, but there is already chips out of the gears after one season on the bike.
That's only a 600lb atv, hate to see what a full size truck will do to composite gears after a few pulls.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
They made winches for the HumVees

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
They made winches for the HumVees
So they probably have a GSA contract. I'm going to check them out. Thanks for that.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Since u have a 2500, you should have options for a winch mount. Including a hidden winch.

Can't say I have ever seen a hidden mount for a 2500/3500 Diesel? Pretty sure you are looking at bumper mount only.

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Crap. I thought i saw a kit on Vicedesigns.

Looks like theres one option the winch kit from a power wagon.

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dont buy a Chinese warn. Cheap hardware and poor build quality

I speak first hand.

Yeah I was gonna say I’ve seen hidden winch kits for 1500s but never for a diesel 2500.