A year later and no fix yet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I bet it's your water pump I have a 2017 Laremie.
With only 4000kms my truck was doing exactly what yours is doing.
Got it replaced under warranty and the squeak is gone.
Apparently they had a batch of faulty water pumps on that year of truck.
I second this post by @Liver. My bet is the seal and bearing in the water pump. Here lately in Texas at my dealership I have had to replace quite a few 5.7 water pumps for this exact concern. Then, just a few days ago, my 5.7 water pump started doing the exact same thing on cold starts or if I let it sit for over 4 hours.

If your new dealership needs help with their diagnosis tell them for a small consulting fee that @Fast69Mopar will assist. Haha

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I just reach down to the underside of the water pump when the engine is cold enough that the fan will not come on.
Right where the water pump shaft is, directly below it, there is a weep hole.
If that weep hole has any liquid directly in or under it, the water pump seal is about ready to give out completely.
That's time to break out your wallet

Tadpole

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had that noise on my 2009 hemi. I found that the power steering pump pulley was not aligned with the other pulleys. It was pushed in too close to the pump. I bought a pulley puller and had to move the pulley almost a quarter inch to line it up. Sound gone! Good luck.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I had that noise on my 2009 hemi. I found that the power steering pump pulley was not aligned with the other pulleys. It was pushed in too close to the pump. I bought a pulley puller and had to move the pulley almost a quarter inch to line it up. Sound gone! Good luck.
That's definitely not the OP's issue.

njjeff201

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E Torque Hemi
That's why I charge on a cc. You should've called the bank to dispute the charge... after calling dealer for a refund. No fix... NO PAY!

Mopar1987

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Mine is currently doing the exact same thing. Noticed it when the morning temps started dipping into the 30s. I’m leaning toward the fan clutch. I buried the front of my truck in a water/mud whole last summer with it still running. I’m thinking I goofed up the clutch

Octane

Reaction score
Idler pulley has a sealed bearing,oiling it is usually useless.Oil or oil spray may not get into the bearing.It does sound like every squealing idler I've ever had.Even my replacements have been troublesome.

Lee Stroud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Sounds like the water pump! I believe it is the bearings in the water pump! Look to see when it is squeaking if coolant is not leaking from the weep hole!

Tadpole

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's definitely not the OP's issue.
I think it is his problem. I had the same noise as his truck.

If you spray a little water on the belt while at idle, and the noise disappears, then its definitely a belt or pulley issue.

Octane

Reaction score
Drive it till it breaks and then you'll know what the bad part was all along.Sometimes that is all that works in the real world.

Last edited:

Octane

Reaction score
similar issue ended up being motor mounts.
I had really bad mounts on a truck once that the vibes would come thru to the steering wheel when the blower was turned on high,steering wheel would just shake.Never experienced anything like it before or after.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I think it is his problem. I had the same noise as his truck.

If you spray a little water on the belt while at idle, and the noise disappears, then its definitely a belt or pulley issue.
I meant not his problem as in not a power steering pump pulley since his 2017 doesn't have one.

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I likely will join them, or at least join the local EMA for weather spotting. Thanks for the feedback on the pix.

I have already replaced the belt twice. The last time with a gator back belt. No change at all. I have a feeling it is coming from either the fan or the water pump.

I listened to your video's and the water pump was the first thing that came to mind ...

Jryski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Ok, this is going to sound strange, but I had a 2010 with the same maddening issue. I'll spare you the long drawn out explanation of all the things I tried and skip to this... it was the mount for the windshield wiper assembly. Had to take off the trim to get at it, I lined it with some felt before putting it back together. Never squeaked again, the noise was near impossible to track down, but I was laid off at the time and took the hood off and spent a few hours just touching things. Hope this helps.

AWLINK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 2020 Ram 2500, 6.4 Hemi. It makes the same noise when its first started after sitting. I live in Tenn.

OP
OP
Intense-Dakota

Intense-Dakota

Landscape and Nature Photographer
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry for the long delay. We are finally moved and are now out of the god forsaken state of Illinois. We are in norther Alabama now, and surprisingly, the squeak is still here. It actually seems worse after the last dealership messed with it. I am now in the process of finding a local dealer here to take it into and start the process all over again. I agree with others that say it is likely the water pump. I said this to the dealer when I first it in also, but they dismissed it and went the exact opposite direction.