AA is driving me crazy, can't shut it down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So I've been using AA some lately in my 22 Ram 2500, 12" uConnect v5. It's okay, nice for longer trips. But I don't always want it to run. I run a VPN type ad blocker on my Samsung S22 Ultra Android phone, and that has to be stopped for AA to work. So AA can't start up automatically when I start the truck. But it tries ever so hard to do so. I get a message on my truck screen every 30 seconds or so about not being able to connect to the phone. And it goes for hours like that.

I've soft rebooted the U5 system, I've wiped the cache and rebooted the phone. No joy, still get the continuous messages. I know I can go into the phone settings and disable the app, put in deep sleep, etc to kill it, but that means I can't use AA w/o doing a lot of tweaking to get it running again.

So what am I missing? How do I stop it from trying to connect?

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
SO I'm at a loose what does AA stand far.
is that those BOOKS that read to you while driving ..
We have friends that have that hooked up on their new Subaru . & The books starts up every time the car is cranked & seems like about 50 times in an hour drive. & I've don't have a clue of what kind of books they listen to . But i've never heard on good line in the last 2 years .
Yes I'd have a stroke if I had to hear that crap.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
AA - AndroidAuto which links your phone into the vehicle radio and certain apps run on the screen, mostly navigation, music and podcast/ebook apps. The iPhone version is called CarPlay.

@jejb is it possible to put an exception in the VPN to allow AA through so it doesn't need to be stopped?

14 Lonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
is that those BOOKS that read to you while driving ..
We have friends that have that hooked up on their new Subaru . & The books starts up every time the car is cranked & seems like about 50 times in an hour drive. & I've don't have a clue of what kind of books they listen to . But i've never heard on good line in the last 2 years .
Yes I'd have a stroke if I had to hear that crap.
AA is Android Auto

woojyee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Try deleting the phone from the Uconnect device manager. Then, when you want to use AA, simply plug the phone in so it can reestablish the connection. You then can use it wirelessly until you delete it from the radio again.

OP
OP
jejb

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Try deleting the phone from the Uconnect device manager. Then, when you want to use AA, simply plug the phone in so it can reestablish the connection. You then can use it wirelessly until you delete it from the radio again.
This is close to the solution. While in AA, I touch the AA icon at the bottom of the truck screen, go into device manager and touch the AA symbol for the connected device. That shuts AA down on the uConnect side and stops the nagging screen. Someone on a different forum turned me on to it.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Friggin U Connect 5 with all it's bugs, lol, makes me happy I got no frills plain jane U Connect 4 radio in Bighorn.

But I am running an I Phone, not AA.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wanted to stop it. I only want it to run when I want it to.

I use an app on my Android phone to control all traffic. It allows specific phone apps to be blocked and that works for me while in my truck.

This also gives me control over which apps can call home. I've uninstalled many apps, and disabled those that can't be removed without rooting my phone. They still call home unless you block them with an app like Netguard.

OP
OP
jejb

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Friggin U Connect 5 with all it's bugs, lol, makes me happy I got no frills plain jane U Connect 4 radio in Bighorn.

But I am running an I Phone, not AA.
In this case, it is not a bug. I had uConnect 4 in my 18 2500 with the 8.4" screen. I much prefer uConnect 5, even with the occasional quirk.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In this case, it is not a bug. I had uConnect 4 in my 18 2500 with the 8.4" screen. I much prefer uConnect 5, even with the occasional quirk.
braver than dis BOIRD

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Two very simple solutions for you. One being set Android auto to not automatically start by default. Your second solution would be in your VPN app. Give Android auto permission to run. Even the most basic VPN software or app will allow this. Just going to be in the settings.

OP
OP
jejb

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Two very simple solutions for you. One being set Android auto to not automatically start by default. Your second solution would be in your VPN app. Give Android auto permission to run. Even the most basic VPN software or app will allow this. Just going to be in the settings.
Thanks. Shutting it down via device manager as above works great for me so far. I will not use AA much, so I'm good with it now. It did work well for this trip, but I doubt I'll use it locally.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I've been using AA some lately in my 22 Ram 2500, 12" uConnect v5. It's okay, nice for longer trips. But I don't always want it to run. I run a VPN type ad blocker on my Samsung S22 Ultra Android phone, and that has to be stopped for AA to work. So AA can't start up automatically when I start the truck. But it tries ever so hard to do so. I get a message on my truck screen every 30 seconds or so about not being able to connect to the phone. And it goes for hours like that.

I've soft rebooted the U5 system, I've wiped the cache and rebooted the phone. No joy, still get the continuous messages. I know I can go into the phone settings and disable the app, put in deep sleep, etc to kill it, but that means I can't use AA w/o doing a lot of tweaking to get it running again.

So what am I missing? How do I stop it from trying to connect?
I enjoy silence while driving for the majority of the time. Otherwise, I tune into 97.1 Classic Country radio. The only other thing I might run is SIRI directions thru Google Maps in my iPhone to get somewhere I'm unfamiliar with.
But, I always have been an outcast. :)
All the fancy-schmancy media stuff that seems to pervaded today's car driving has, IMHO, killed old fashioned being in the actuality of the driving experience; you know, concentrating on driving sans accidents due to distraction! Just my 2 cent's worth! Peace!

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I enjoy silence while driving for the majority of the time. Otherwise, I tune into 97.1 Classic Country radio. The only other thing I might run is SIRI directions thru Google Maps in my iPhone to get somewhere I'm unfamiliar with.
But, I always have been an outcast. :)
All the fancy-schmancy media stuff that seems to pervaded today's car driving has, IMHO, killed old fashioned being in the actuality of the driving experience; you know, concentrating on driving sans accidents due to distraction! Just my 2 cent's worth! Peace!
HALF the time I just hit Mute on the System. On MY 19, 5th Gen, I can actually turn off the radio, on my old 2015 ED, I could not, weird, lol.

ADDED: Like this AM, I had pulled out trailer from Garage and put Truck in, due to Hail forecasted last night. This AM, 24 May, I pulled truck out, and backed trailer back into garage. Of course, I got both windows open, and radio MUTED, so I can hear anything not right. I only have a couple feet on either side, so I "Painted" a line on the garage floor which is where I align the left side trailer tires, and another mark on "How" far back to push trailer in. Helps to have marked areas when basically backing by "feel", since of course rear camera not help U when U have trailer connected. I always mute radio, have to hear in case I hear "scraping", etc, hence the marked garage floor. (Limited by side to side, depth and also overhead rafters, has to be precise). I ripped the top 3 marker lights off one time before BOIRD got a "Ford Moment", lightbulb went off, and marked floor.

Last edited:

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HALF the time I just hit Mute on the System. On MY 19, 5th Gen, I can actually turn off the radio, on my old 2015 ED, I could not, weird, lol.

ADDED: Like this AM, I had pulled out trailer from Garage and put Truck in, due to Hail forecasted last night. This AM, 24 May, I pulled truck out, and backed trailer back into garage. Of course, I got both windows open, and radio MUTED, so I can hear anything not right. I only have a couple feet on either side, so I "Painted" a line on the garage floor which is where I align the left side trailer tires, and another mark on "How" far back to push trailer in. Helps to have marked areas when basically backing by "feel", since of course rear camera not help U when U have trailer connected. I always mute radio, have to hear in case I hear "scraping", etc, hence the marked garage floor. (Limited by side to side, depth and also overhead rafters, has to be precise). I ripped the top 3 marker lights off one time before BOIRD got a "Ford Moment", lightbulb went off, and marked floor.
I went to a Lexus Dealer today to buy 1500 dollars in parts for one of my best customers. Lexus won't deliver, and I needed a bit of time away from the shop. I tuned in my classic country station and spent an hour total. :) :)

OP
OP
jejb

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Your second solution would be in your VPN app. Give Android auto permission to run. Even the most basic VPN software or app will allow this. Just going to be in the settings.
I did try this yesterday. My VPN brings up a lot of apps I can give permission to, but not AA.

OP
OP
jejb

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Well, considerably off topic here, but I also have to be extremely careful when backing my trailer into our RV building. Very tight side-to-side. But I depend on the mirrors, not my ears, to get it right. But whatever works and all.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn