About to buy Limited Diesel, scam or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnnyRam76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Hi to all, presently own a 2015 Limited Diesel and while it’s had its share of issues (in shop for 1 month for egr, needed new turbo, screen went blank) all covered under extended warranty, I still love the truck.
Looking to special order a 2020 Limited Diesel with every option including off road package. I live in NY but the dealers here stink, barely any discounts, so I’m looking anywhere for a great discount as well as getting the most I can for my 2015 which has 105k on it but in mint condition.

I decided to go to try either Koons or Browns in West Virginia, about 5 hours from me.

Both dealers are discounting about 15-17% of MSRP. When I do a build on rams website the MSRP works out to $71,995 but when either dealer does it it works out to $73,495. Not sure if it’s just because it’s a different state.

Anyway, One of them is charging me $62,071 for the truck which lists for 73,495, what I believe is a decent discount.

When they emailed me the build sheet they added a government fee of $350 and a processing fee of $849. I didn’t see the destination charge which I know is $1,695 but I’m sure that will come later.

Are those fees standard?

what about financing, I wanted to do the 3 year no interest financing but dealer told me I would lose a substantial part of my discount if I did not finance.

I would much rather purchase a vehicle that’s already on someone’s lot but when I do the build on Rams website I can only go out 150 miles from my location. Is there a way to do a nationwide search to see if another dealer has the truck I want with all the options?

Lastly, is there a dealership within 4-7 hours away from NY that someone can recommend that I can reach out to if I need to special order that’s easy to deal with?

thanks to all, love this forum

mlrtimemach

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Tradesman 4X4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
A dealer can do a search nation wide in their system. Only issue may be does the other deal want to let the truck go then how much would they want to charge to get it to you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Really depends on the dealership. I bought my truck through my local dealership, but it came from a dealership in Portland, OR. About 300 miles from my local dealership. The didn't charge me anything for the delivery. But I know other dealerships which will. There are a few really big Ram dealerships in the country. One kind of local to me is Dave Smith Motors. They consider themselves a national dealership, but it's in Kellog, ID. They are used to working with people who are long distance buyers. You're probably not interested in something that far away. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

OP
OP
J

JohnnyRam76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Thanks for the reply’s, what about the Government fee of $350 and the processing fee of $849? Am I getting scammed?

I know the dealer can search nationwide for the truck I want but can I? I’d rather buy direct from the dealer rather than go thru 2 dealers.

thanks again

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
No idea about the Government fee (I always called taxes Gvmnt. fees). I could be wrong, but my guess is that the processing fee is probably a fee the dealership charges to cover their own overhead.

The dealership I mentioned has a website. You don't have to go through your local dealership to shop with them. You can deal directly with that dealership. You can deal directly with any dealership in the country if you want. You just have to contact them.

tourrider

Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
Hi to all, presently own a 2015 Limited Diesel and while it’s had its share of issues (in shop for 1 month for egr, needed new turbo, screen went blank) all covered under extended warranty, I still love the truck.
Looking to special order a 2020 Limited Diesel with every option including off road package. I live in NY but the dealers here stink, barely any discounts, so I’m looking anywhere for a great discount as well as getting the most I can for my 2015 which has 105k on it but in mint condition.

I decided to go to try either Koons or Browns in West Virginia, about 5 hours from me.

Both dealers are discounting about 15-17% of MSRP. When I do a build on rams website the MSRP works out to $71,995 but when either dealer does it it works out to $73,495. Not sure if it’s just because it’s a different state.

Anyway, One of them is charging me $62,071 for the truck which lists for 73,495, what I believe is a decent discount.

When they emailed me the build sheet they added a government fee of $350 and a processing fee of $849. I didn’t see the destination charge which I know is $1,695 but I’m sure that will come later.

Are those fees standard?

what about financing, I wanted to do the 3 year no interest financing but dealer told me I would lose a substantial part of my discount if I did not finance.

I would much rather purchase a vehicle that’s already on someone’s lot but when I do the build on Rams website I can only go out 150 miles from my location. Is there a way to do a nationwide search to see if another dealer has the truck I want with all the options?

Lastly, is there a dealership within 4-7 hours away from NY that someone can recommend that I can reach out to if I need to special order that’s easy to deal with?

thanks to all, love this forum

What part of New York?

I bought my last few trucks from Tim. He knows trucks, and is a decent guy.
Tim Deinlein
[email protected]

Heritage Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram / Owings Mills
Sales & Leasing Consultant
Office: 410-654-7909
11212 Reisterstown Rd
Owings Mills, MD 21117

OP
OP
J

JohnnyRam76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Thanks for all replies, I live in New Rochelle, NY. About 30mins North of Manhattan.

OP
OP
J

JohnnyRam76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Tourrider, I just checked out Heritage website, pretty amazing internet pricing. I’m reaching out to Tim via email now.
Thank you

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
All fees are negotiable as they can be absorbed or charged to the customer and it is the dealer's choice. This is why I always deal directly with either the finance manager or the sales manager from the moment I step on the lot. It eliminates most of the negotiating BS when the sales person says that they need to check with so and so and then come back in 10-15 minutes saying that they tried but it is a not a go.

MSRP is a fictional number and I start by negotiating off dealer invoice. I know that the invoice amount is a lot higher than the true cost to the dealer as there are sizeable rebates and discounts that they get, but it is a starting point.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Just change the zip code you are using on the Ram website and you can search anywhere in the country. Still within the 150 mile radius, unfortunately. I do it all the time, most manufacturers websites use the same sort of method.