About to pull the triger on S&B CAI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jmann1098

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ive been looking around too for a good price seem to all be 299USD

Looked at Moes-performance.com and see they have a few add on options. Anyone know much about those and what they are?

ie. Scoop (99$)
85mm Ported throttle body (279)
87mm " " (329)
87mm " " (359)

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I am not a fan of S&B's air scoop, so I would save your money on that one.

The ported throttle body is just an optional upgrade. So many people install these together because you have to pull the intake off to install a throttle body. Because of this, we knock $20 off the cost of the throttle body if you purchase one with the intake.

stricnine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, after weeks of debating I've decided to go with the S&B. Only thing that has kept me from ordering right away is trying to find any discounts availabe. I've tried autoanything.com but it looks like just about any brand worth buying is excluded from their online codes.

Does anyone know how and whssere I may be able to get a deal on one of these intakes?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

A little secret about autoanything.com. As you mentioned, your coupons for them will rarely work on anything of high cost, however if you call them they will come off that price. The key is calling them. As a matter of fact, they will match any competitor price as well and offer that price match for a year afterwards. This is why I do the majority of my shopping through them. They also sponsor many of these forums.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Awesome, have you install it yet, well I guess not but lets us know when you do, I need to order a TB myself to go with my S&B intake but it might be a little while.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
According to Matt the scoop showed no gain on the dyno.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Not surprising, the lower opening where the scoop attaches is way down by the tow hook pedestals. If its open you're getting some fine cool O2 already; at least in comparison to to the air in the engine compartment.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
$300 is a big pill to swallow but worth it in my opinion.

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I'm curious do you still get a throaty sound under load with this intake being its sealed?

homeguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I love mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
I'm curious do you still get a throaty sound under load with this intake being its sealed?

Its isn't loud like an open element K&N intake, but you definitely hear it over stock. I have even had guys remove the plexiglass cover if they wanted more sound out of the intake. Kinda defeats the purpose of a sealed airbox, but it does give a little more sound.

OP
OP
e_thorpe88

e_thorpe88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well its already in hand. Moe's ROCKS! Rediculous shipping speed.

Still waiting on my throttlebody but not a big deal. I intend on doing it all at once with an exhaust upgrade (y-pipe & probably 18" magniflow)

Since my truck is just about to hit the 30k mark Ive got my Redline 5w20 oil and Royal purple filter ready to go.

My question now is what spark plugs should I go with

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I really notice mine when I'm getting on it...

....normal driving, I can't hear it over my exhaust.

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well its already in hand. Moe's ROCKS! Rediculous shipping speed.

Still waiting on my throttlebody but not a big deal. I intend on doing it all at once with an exhaust upgrade (y-pipe & probably 18" magniflow)

Since my truck is just about to hit the 30k mark Ive got my Redline 5w20 oil and Royal purple filter ready to go.

My question now is what spark plugs should I go with

I wouldn't bother with a spark plug change at this point.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
I wouldn't bother with a spark plug change at this point.

Stock copper plugs are recommended to be changed at 30k miles. Some of the newer trucks come with irridiums which have a longer swap interval.

OP, I would just go back with another set of the OEM NGK plugs. That We even run the OEM NGK plugs in our 2011 heads/cam shop truck.

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Stock copper plugs are recommended to be changed at 30k miles. Some of the newer trucks come with irridiums which have a longer swap interval.

OP, I would just go back with another set of the OEM NGK plugs. That We even run the OEM NGK plugs in our 2011 heads/cam shop truck.

Where in the Ram maintenance manual does it say this??

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
on the earlier 4th gens it says 32k on yours kotta390 it will more than likely be the 100k change. I myself do the stock NGK coppers as I don't want a potential miss showing up down the road.

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
If you find an easy way to replace the plugs and don't find it to be a burden they just get copers as 16 iridiums are going to cost you around the same as your intake lol, but worth it if it takes you all day to get the plugs out, so you dont have to go through the madness again in 30k miles.

OP
OP
e_thorpe88

e_thorpe88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you find an easy way to replace the plugs and don't find it to be a burden they just get copers as 16 iridiums are going to cost you around the same as your intake lol, but worth it if it takes you all day to get the plugs out, so you dont have to go through the madness again in 30k miles.
Ive done my dads 2011 about 4 times now (hes got 150k miles on his truck) and i think I can do it under 4 hours lol. Theres no real fast way to do it that Im aware of.

OP
OP
e_thorpe88

e_thorpe88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well big day today. Got my S&B filter installed as well as moes 87mm throttlebody. Went ahead with my tune up. NGK plugs, redline 5w20 and Royal purple filter. Really happy with wverything. Engine is much throatier and the acceleration is noticeably better. Nothing to blow you away but noticeable. Engine sounds super smoothe with the new oil as well. Next is exhaust and a tuner..... praying for a big Christmas bonus lol.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not surprising, the lower opening where the scoop attaches is way down by the tow hook pedestals. If its open you're getting some fine cool O2 already; at least in comparison to to the air in the engine compartment.

Not just that, but the mouth of the "scoop" points straight down at the ground. It's not really much of a scoop, just an additional air input.