ABS and brake system ram 3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tobias

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Hi guys!

I’m trying to fix the brakes on a ‘96 Ram 3500. I bought new rotors, pads and renovated the front calipers. I also changed the front brake lines and hoses. Next thing will be new wheel cylinders to the rear drums. So far so good.

But. The truck have been sitting at the same spot, outside in a field for the last 4 years when I now tried to bleed the front brakes, the pedal went straight to the floor without any resistance at all. I pulled the master cylinder apart, cleaned it, lubed it up and put it back together. The result was even worse. A new master cylinder is ordered and delivered next week.

The thing is - the brake light symbols and the abs light symbol are on. This is maybe obvious, since I don’t have any pressure at all, but I really don’t know what in the brake system that turns these lights on?

Where and what turns the red brake symbols on, and where and what turns the abs symbol on? Is the abs light warning if the pressure is gone due to master cylinder failure?

I also wonder how the abs system in this particular model works? Is it a three-channel system, 2 front brake sensors and one for the rear axle?

I also would be very grateful if anybody could help me recognize these particular parts in my pictures. From the master cylinder comes two lines, that both enter “something” (?) to be continued with 2 outgoing lines to front resp rear brakes. What is this part? (red)

On the other side, next to it, is another thing that is completely secluded from both the master cylinder and the other brake lines. From this there were two old brake lines just cut with a nipper. What is it? Old parts of the ABS? (yellow) I even think that an accredited workshop did this a few years ago after the truck was restored after an accident like these brake parts were completely unnessecary. Please help me..

Edit: For me, the abs system’s normally require a unit, a pump and a computer. All brake lines should enter this pump unit and the proceed to each wheel (depending on the system). Here is no pump, nothing? Only these small strange parts I can’t determine.. so please, if you know anything about this I would be so thankful.

ABB7789B-4824-44C2-A45C-4BDA35E38DE8.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963