Abs and service towing messages.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Romanmcm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So it’s a 2018 Ram 1500. The ABS light, message, and service trailer brake system both came on. I took it to a parts dealer who scanned the obd2 and it spit out a code indicating the left rear speed sensor needed to be replaced. I got the sensor from the dealer and replaced it. Couldn’t have screwed it up, it’s pretty straightforward. The abs light remains on after driving it 200 miles, disconnecting the battery, touching the battery cables together, pumping the brake, pushing the start button and just about any other voodoo trick suggested by mechanics on the JustAnswer web service. I’m out of ideas…anyone else figured out what to do?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I cannot help U on the fixes, but 1st Thing I would do is get it rescanned and see if any pending, troubleshoot or other permanent codes come up for a way forward, or maybe a repeat of previous code you received.

There have been a few threads on ABS/Service system lights, You would have to research more to read up. I cannot turn a wrench well enuf to assist you there. Also, hate to say it, but you could have just gotten a bad part, definitely not unheard of in this new woke, no QC world, all IMHO...

Also check all your grounds. Make sure they are tight and not corroded, clean and wires OK and the Battery is up to s n u f f. After that, well you may have to find a good garage to diagnose all and get it repaired. Also IMHO ...

Last edited:

Wallyb4

Retired EWC(SW/AW) 1983-2003
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Yes post the codes you are getting from the scan tool. That will help us to help you.

REDNECK28871

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 CLASSIC 5.7
Engine
Have the code removed with a scan tool yes the same one that told you what was wrong with it.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's possible it wasn't the sensor but wiring to the sensor. Pinched wire under the frame, rodent-chewed somewhere ....or a corroded connector. It's also possible the new sensor wasn't any good. There's a coil of super-fine wire inside those sensors. Finer than human hair except maybe very fine arm-hair..lol. When you get that fine of wire, sure, a little internal corrosion (e.g. someone sneezed snot on some ...on the assembly line which led to corrosion) could potentially cause wire damage breakage.

If you do another scan it'll tell you. Maybe you had another sensor fail ..by bad luck. If you hook up to real-time data and move the truck (around the parking lot) it'll tell you what each sensor is reading as the wheel is turing. Assuming the scan tool has those capabilities (most good ones do). But the codes should reflect whatever fault shows up.

OP
OP
R

Romanmcm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

RAM.png RAM DTC C0037-1D​

Make:RAMCode:C0037-1DDefinition:Left Rear Wheel Speed Sensor - Current Out Of RangeDescription:The Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) Module monitors each wheel speed sensor individually. A failure is detected, if the measured sensor signal current is continuously out of range, as compared to the thresholds of ABS Module sensor input values.

OP
OP
R

Romanmcm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And it should be noted that it existed before the repair, immediately after the new sensor without even being started or driven, and also after 200 miles were put on vehicle. Then rescanned and same code is present.
My CANOBD II scanner is supposedly ABS code compatible and the erase function did not clear it.
I am trying to avoid the dealership...you know how their pitch is going to go. And it was a Dodge part from a Dodge parts counter.

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually no, the code does not pinpoint the wheel speed sensor as the cause, it's merely one of many possible causes. Wiring problems are more likely than the sensor itself. Chrysler even has a TSB on it although I don't what what specific vehicle this refers to: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10174173-9999.pdf

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, it's a TSB not a recall. It's supposed to educate techs what to look for when encountering those codes but clearly the techs at your dealership didn't get the memo....

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
With a TSB, you have to write your indicators down on the sheet of paper that they hand you when you take your vehicle in for service.

Do not tell them what to do, because they will charge you for what YOU TELL them to do, even if there is nothing wrong with part that you told them to change.

State that the light came on & that you replaced that part & show them the sales receipt & leave the mystery up to them

Philip Gao

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2012 ram 1500, the abs problem last two years and it got better recently, hope the following thing can help you:
to deal this under a big truck is really difficult:
prepare a voltage meter with 2 paper clip
1) turn on your truck, not need start the engine, disconnect two of the ABS SENSOR from the cable socket, one is the bad, another is the good
detect the socket voltage, the good one should have a 12V voltage, if the bad one no voltage, the cable or the ABS CONTROL MODEL has problem
2) if the cable is OK, swap the good and the bad side sensor, if the problem come swap, the sensor is problem, if not your sensor should be no problem, as you have replace it, the problem is not the sensor
3) if the cable is not OK, open the ABS control model, find the cable with your bad wheel pair, check if the cable is really broken or the problem is inside the circuit, my cable is good, I changed my ABS control model by myself, I found I can't refresh the code inside the controller, finally I find my original controller is only lost one resist, I move it from the new one, the ABS voltage come back in 12V
4) but my ABS problem is still there, I found my packing brake got destroyed totally, include the speed tone ring lost few teeth, I changed the tone ring, this is not easy, I have to open the rear differential to make the drive shift remove out, after all this, the ABS code gone
so in my case, the only good is cable, the ABS controller, ABS sensor, speed tone ring got problem
use a $100 odbII scanner can help you check the really speed in each wheel, this help you check what type the problem, my ODBII scanner is BlueDriver from Amazon, if too cheap it can't detect the ABS problem
The follow diagram can help you find the cable number, if it is still the same model:
1664988804092.jpeg1664988942516.png
1664989042029.jpeg

Last edited:

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Actually, Phillip has given you some good information and a wiring diagram, but understanding the factory code definition is also very important.

The Wheel Speed Sensor can be swapped with another wheel position to verify component is good.

C0037-1D-Left Rear Wheel Speed Sensor - Circuit Current Out-of-Range.

Monitoring and Set Conditions
The ignition must be in the On position, and battery voltage above 12.1 volts.

Symptoms​

• Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) indicator light illuminated.
  • Electronic Stability Control (ESC) System indicator light illuminated.
  • Red Brake Warning indicator light flashing.
  • ABS disabled.
  • ESC disabled.

Possible Causes

CONNECTOR/TERMINAL DAMAGE
WHEEL SPEED SENSOR (+) CIRCUIT SHORTED TO THE WHEEL SPEED SENSOR (-) CIRCUIT
WHEEL SPEED SENSOR (+) CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
WHEEL SPEED SENSOR (+) CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
WHEEL SPEED SENSOR (-) CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
WHEEL SPEED SENSOR (+) CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE
WHEEL SPEED SENSOR (-) CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE
WHEEL SPEED SENSOR (+) CIRCUIT FOR VOLTAGE
WHEEL SPEED SENSOR (WSS)
ANTI-LOCK BRAKE SYSTEM (ABS) MODULE

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 78321 miles

SpaceRanger1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Rebel
Engine
I had the same. The ABS light, message, and service trailer brake system both came on.. I took a can of brake clean pull (1)sensor out at a time and cleaned the grooves on the hub the sensor sees. Put sensors back in... No more code messages.

OP
OP
R

Romanmcm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Phillip, Dusty and SpaceRanger.
Thank you all for these insightful posts.
I will be revisiting this issue this week on my truck and post how it goes.
Bob