Abs, brake light on + no speedometer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badblackram06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2006 Ram 1500 2wd/ no abs on front hubs

I made a 75 mile trip the other day to pick up some r/t wheels for my durango. As soon as I headed back home I heard the dreaded ding in the dash. I looked down and the abs and brake light were on and I had no speedometer. Also lost cruise control. As soon as I went to cussing the lights went off and the speedometer returned to normal. It didn't last and started working intermittently before dieing completely for the rest of the trip home.. So I did some research and found, since I don't have abs sensors on the front hubs, the issue is with the sensor on the rear end. So I ordered the right part.

Well today I drove it and notice no lights and the speedometer is back working. WTH!

Can a sensor still work intermittently?

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Sounds like a faulty speed sensor and the answer to your question is - YES. It can work intermittent and usually does until it finally gives up.

OP
OP
badblackram06

badblackram06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like a faulty speed sensor and the answer to your question is - YES. It can work intermittent and usually does until it finally gives up.
Good to know. I was hoping it wasn't something else failing. Thanks

macsx6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 03 had the same issue after a camping trip. The abs-speed sensor that sits on top of the rear diff, I had a broken wire leading up to the connector, must have snagged a branch just enough to stretch the wire and break it. It would work sometimes, then as soon as I would hit a bump, the Abs/brake light would come on and the speedo would jump. Or the sensor is bad like badblackram06 said. I'd check the wire first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk