ABS/brake light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dne007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi, I'm Dne' in Cypress, Tx. I became a little desperate when my ABS/brake light came on, so here I am. We bought this truck right after being flooded by Harvey, so I've had the truck almost 3 years. It has 89k miles with the 5.9 Automatic 4x4. I only use it when we need to pull the 14' trailer or get some bags of fertilizer. It's stored in the garage all the time. I don't drive it on rainy days, I take good care of it. It's a pleasure to drive, extraordinarily quiet, sits up high, and different from all the new 4 door new trucks.

A year or so ago, I replaced all the brakes(calipers, wheel cyl, drums, etc) and master cylinder. While doing the front brakes, I noticed the left front wheel bearing was quite loud, so I replaced both front wheel bearings with the ABS pickups. No problems until the ABS module went out months later, making the loud noise it does. I bought a used one from ebay and it's worked great until the lights came back on months later. A couple days ago, I replaced the VSS~ the lights went off for about a day, then during a sudden stop, the light/s came back on. I'm very depressed about this, I love my truck and get compliments all the time! On the VSS, I didn't have any dielectric grease but have some coming. I have noticed the brake pedal being a little spongier, so I may re-bleed the system. I now have a power bleeder to do a better job.

Any ideas are so welcomed!
dne' ;)

2000-dodge-ram-1500a.jpg

Scscuba1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the same problem. I have changed everything in the system except the master cylinder and both lights are still on. I just try to ignore the lights as best I can.

OP
OP
Dne007

Dne007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Funny thing, I pulled my 14' trailer to bring home a Ford Tractor and the light stayed off the entire time of pulling the trailer~ almost hate not pulling the trailer! lol

OP
OP
Dne007

Dne007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know this is a dumb question, but is it possible to eliminate the ABS system? I mean like it was never there? Not just unplug it!

DodgeLady

Military
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L
For what this is worth , I have a 1997 5.9 2wd 1500. My ABS and brake light have been coming on for a while. What I found is that I can get both lights to go out by pulling up ever so lightly on my brake pedal - with my toe.
I have ordered a new brake light switch that will be installed soon. I expect that to fix it.
The problems here sound more complicated but thought I would throw this out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
One thing that you should get get checked out

You can bleed your brakes until you buy the auto parts store out of fluid.
You can have every bubble of air out of the regular brake system, BUT did you bleed the ABS System ? The ABS servo needs to be cycled to get the air out of the ABS system.
Then you may have to bleed the regular system again afterwards.

If air is in the ABS system, your brake pedal can suddenly go all the way to the floor boards

There are some scan tools that can cycle the ABS servo, but they likely cost what a Brake Shop would charge you.
If you want a good Scan Tool, buy it, it can save you dealership charges & other type shop costs too.

There are several good scan tools that auto bleed the ABS system, this is one of the less costly units.

Other members will likely tell you what devices they prefer & why

Bear_Gibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Mine randomly comes on as well. I have yet to find the culprit. 99 % of the scan tools out there will NOT scan the systems beyond the engine in these trucks. You really need a good snap on scanner or the OEM DRB 3 scan tool. I bought one of the high end ones from harbor freight and it freaked out the dash and I had to un plug it. All the lights came on and it gave the no bus message. I was trying to scan that same light. Mine is a 99 1500

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk