ABS issues @ 22k miles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

18MegaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
The ABS module took a dump as I was pulling out of the driveway with my 20k lb 5th wheel. This resulted in me NOT having any trailer brakes. So vacation was cancelled, and now the truck has been at the Dealer for two weeks. Last week they finally installed the new ABS module, but it turned out to be defective. Dealer called around trying to find another part, with no luck. On Thursday FCA said they would "overnite" the part. Well, on Friday it did not arrive. I'm hoping it shows up on Tuesday, but I kinda doubt that it will. This is going the be the third week in the shop. What good is a warranty when your vehicle ends up in the shop for 3-4 weeks? Just venting now.
Is the ABS module failure a common, or known, issue?

OP
OP
18MegaRam

18MegaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
The truck has been in the shop since May 16. They installed the second ABS module, and pump this time, and it's still throwing codes. They don't know what's going on, so they elevated it to Corp tech. Waiting to hear from Corp on a fix. FCA doesn't seem to be too rushed on getting back to the mechanic about possible solutions. This is BS.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The truck has been in the shop since May 16. They installed the second ABS module, and pump this time, and it's still throwing codes. They don't know what's going on, so they elevated it to Corp tech. Waiting to hear from Corp on a fix. FCA doesn't seem to be too rushed on getting back to the mechanic about possible solutions. This is BS.
You should read more on this forum,ram service is real bad at a whole lot of dealers, the best bet is to try and find an independent mechanic/shop .

OP
OP
18MegaRam

18MegaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
You should read more on this forum,ram service is real bad at a whole lot of dealers, the best bet is to try and find an independent mechanic/shop .
It's warranty work is why I went to the Dealer. The Dealer seems to be on top of it, it's FCA that is slow to respond to the dealer inquiries.

OP
OP
18MegaRam

18MegaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
So, another week has gone by. They are still scratching their collective heads.
gaBkhAe
gaBkhAe

OP
OP
18MegaRam

18MegaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Well, it's been nine more days, and it's still in the shop. Waiting for over a week to hear back from Stellantis engineers on how to proceed. What does it take to get Corporate to respond?

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
That is unbelievable. Man I feel for ya.

Probably was never the ABS module in the first place. Another example of a shop not being able to do in depth diagnostics. Sounds like they may be just reading codes, checking for service bulletins and changing parts to see if it makes the issue stop.

I don't know much about travel trailers the size of yours, but I wonder if you could have just pulled the ABS fuse and still had trailer brakes for your trip. You'd just live w/out ABS on the truck while the fuse was pulled. Probably wouldn't have cruise control and have some annoying dash warning lights on as well.

OP
OP
18MegaRam

18MegaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Well, five weeks and still down. Stellantis recommends checking the batteries and continuity. Tick, tick, tick.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Have you ever heard the expression “ the squeaky wheel gets the grease.” You should start to squeal and squeak and make all kinds of noises ,if you let people walk all over you they will. And they are. Wait till you get your bill.

OP
OP
18MegaRam

18MegaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Have you ever heard the expression “ the squeaky wheel gets the grease.” You should start to squeal and squeak and make all kinds of noises ,if you let people walk all over you they will. And they are. Wait till you get your bill.
I've been squeaking like a ****. No bill, it's under warranty.

OP
OP
18MegaRam

18MegaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Well, today is my two month anniversary. They ordered another new ABS module, this time from Canada. The thought by Stellantis is that the others may have been from a bad batch, so going to a different source. So because it's coming from Canada, it won't arrive until next week. And that will make it 9 weeks, plus a few days to install and reprogram. I am not confident that this will do the trick.
Meanwhile, all my summer travel plans have been cancelled and my $100k fifth wheel sits in the driveway.

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hope they are providing a rental car for you.....this is terrible service.....consider the lemon law or get an attorney.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
You have the patience of a Saint, but there's not much you can do today with inventories and prices where they're at.

Pre-'rona I would have had that truck traded in by week #2.

I still contend this is something simple and the shop the truck is at just doesn't have the ability to properly troubleshoot this.

OP
OP
18MegaRam

18MegaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
You have the patience of a Saint, but there's not much you can do today with inventories and prices where they're at.

Pre-'rona I would have had that truck traded in by week #2.

I still contend this is something simple and the shop the truck is at just doesn't have the ability to properly troubleshoot this.
They have the area tech from Stellantis doing the troubleshooting with assistance from Stellantis "engineers". Actually, I think the Corporate bean counters are doing the "troubleshooting". They are going to try to fix it as cheaply as possible.
There is another truck in the shop, a 2021 TRX with 2000 miles on it, it sucked a valve. It came in right after mine, and Stellantis is still not authorizing an engine replacement after all this time. They keep asking for paperwork they've already received.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
They have the area tech from Stellantis doing the troubleshooting with assistance from Stellantis "engineers". Actually, I think the Corporate bean counters are doing the "troubleshooting". They are going to try to fix it as cheaply as possible.
There is another truck in the shop, a 2021 TRX with 2000 miles on it, it sucked a valve. It came in right after mine, and Stellantis is still not authorizing an engine replacement after all this time. They keep asking for paperwork they've already received.
Hopefully the area tech and engineer thing is truly happening and it's not just the dealer telling you it is.

I would loose my mind if I was the guy with the 2021 TRX w/ 2000 miles on it. Not so much with the valve crash because stuff happens with mechanical things, but because they're dragging their feet on THAT?