Abs light, traction light, and service 4wd on dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tyler dean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Driving down the road and all the sudden speedometer went to 0 and abs light, traction light and 4wd service light popped on dash , anyone know how to fix this? Purchased new alternator due to failed voltage regulator and new battery also, didn’t remove dash lights

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Been dealing with the same issue on my 2012 1500 for several months now. It was intermittent at first, lights would go off when the truck was shut off and restarted, but now they are on all the time.

My research indicated that the most likely cause was a bad/failing wheel speed sensor. Best way to determine which sensor is bad, or if it's a more severe problem with something like the abs module, is a scan tool capable of reading ABS codes.

In my case, I'm just living with the lights for the time being. My front end is all new (went ahead and rebuilt it all, including wheel bearings recently when I found a bad ball joint), so I'm fairly certain that my issue is one of the sensors on the rear axle. I"m probably going to get an OBDlink mx+ and the ALFA OBD software soon, and hopefully will have some time over the holidays to diagnose/repair.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
@Tyler dean and @muddy12

We certainly understand why this would be concerning. If you are not able to determine a solution based on suggestions from fellow forum members and you decide to address this with your Ram dealer, please be sure to follow up with us via private message. We would be happy to offer our support alongside your vehicle service.

Kathryn
RamCares

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
OP, how did you diagnose this, or did you take it to a mechanic? Mine flashed on last week for about a day, over multiple engine starts. 4wd drive and traction control lights stayed on, cruise control didn't work. The next day it was gone and everything worked. I've read that you can clean the ABS sensor, but I can't figure out where it is our how to clean it. I've seen generic speed sensor replacement videos and it seems easy enough if I can figure out which one and where exactly it is.

OP
OP
Tyler dean

Tyler dean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I actually just fixed this issue , I replaced alternator and battery... nothing.. then bought a 17 dollar abs sensor and fixed everything. it was the sensor above the rear diff but didn’t go off right away either had to drive it for like 5 minutes

OP
OP
Tyler dean

Tyler dean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I didn’t I just started at the rear diff sensor which the part is just called the rear abs sensor, and figured it would be a good place to start and then bam everything went back to normal