abs traction control service 4x4 light on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joshysock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I'm new to this forum, just wanted to express how annoying this issue is, traction control, abs and service 4x4 light on, I live in Ohio and its winter time and I cant use my 4x4 or cruise control, I changed the rear abs speed sensor and connector didn't solve anything, checked volts in both I had 12 volts but no ground so I had the truck on the lift inspecting the wire harness and ended up losing power to the abs connector, so clearly its an electrical issue not sure why there isn't a recall on this issue, now I'm debating on getting rid of the truck and or trying to fix it, I've always fixed my own trucks, thought about calling a dealer for a quote.

Johnnyroastbeef

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I have the same issue on my 2019 2500. It used to happen only once in a while and now it's every time it rains. lI get warning lights for ABS, traction control, Front Collision, Trailer Brake and no 4wd. I dont have a solution yet but i'm working on it and feel your pain.

Dutra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was told the control module went out. Im still waiting on the part for my 2018.

Johnnyroastbeef

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
yeah i've also read online that some guys have had the ABS Module replaced and it fixed the issue. I'm going to load up the parts cannon and fire a new module at it. i'll let you know if it fixes the issue,

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You should at least check and see what specific code is causing those warning lights to come on. There are several different reasons the warning lights can be triggered and while checking the code doesn't tell you exactly what the problem is or what part needs replaced, it can least narrow down where the issue is coming from.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Faulty brake switch can do it too. Happened on mine. Maybe your initial problem WAS the wheel sensor, but this time it's the brake switch. They weigh about 20 grams so it's no wonder they commonly fail. It's a super-easy DIY replacement. Have someone do a scan and see what comes up. Or watch the pedal switch real-time within the scan tool as you press the pedal many times to see if you get a bad signal (not closing the circuit) on a push. Autozone or OReilly's can scan for free, or anyone with a snap-on scanner can read that. Or just replace the switch. I think they're like $30 from Amazon and a 10 min install. Hopefully that's your problem.

Good luck. Hope it helps.

Edit: 2012 is a GREAT year btw. Lot less electrical gremlins... No EPS.

Last edited:

Hm710

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Watching this thread, I have the same issue with my 2019 3500.

Hm710

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can't remember if I tried to hook up my old obd and there wasn't a spot or I got no codes. I'll look when I'm home next.
Also looking for the proper front fascia wiring harness and replacing the park assist sensors. Guessing they are related issues...

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Edit: 2012 is a GREAT year btw. Lot less electrical gremlins... No EPS.

No its not. its literally the worse year . POS 6 speed , POS Lifters in engine, 1st year for those POS gen 4 front diffs. Every cool upgrade is 2013+ when you're looking to buy something.

I love my 2012 and that because I literally almost have nothing left that was original... :p

Shawn Burns

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
once you can pull the codes, we should have a better idea on what the fix is.

Johnnyroastbeef

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
1677606711832.png

I went to a dealer today on the way to work and had them scan it while all the DTC lights were all on.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There have been owners here who've had to replace their abs module. So they do 'fail'. I would probably first get the wheel sensor resolved and then manage the module. Just in case. But I guess if you're having the dealer do the work, they'll probably just do it all at the same time.

You might ......before replacing the module, wiggle the module connector, make sure all the wiring to it appears good, no corroded or bent connector pins, etc. Then remove, inspect, test and wiggle any and all fuses associated with the module.

Advanced info for DIY-er's:
For advanced tinkerers and mechanics: I would consider cracking open the ABS module and inspect for cold solder joints or other 'obvious' electronic faults. I 'just' had a charging device which I cracked open the other day (that's the right term since the plastic case was solvent-welded) A few firm blows with a hammer on a gasket scraper (on the seam) did the trick w/o damaging the case. I discovered a loose transistor right off the bat. It was poorly soldered. Soldered it back up and the charger works great now. I've fixed a number of automotive items which had bad solder joints. There are some good youtube videos that can bring ya up to speed.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
View attachment 514887

I went to a dealer today on the way to work and had them scan it while all the DTC lights were all on.
The ABS code for right front wheel speed sensor is what is most likely causing the light. All of the codes below that regarding ABS are probably only active because because of the wheel speed sensor signal.........invalid data received is simply saying it got some bad or out of range data from the wheel speed sensor, and the ABS disable is just the default mode that shuts off ABS if it has a bad wheel speed signal (it's better to just turn off ABS versus the possibility of getting some weird braking situation based off of a bad wheel speed signal). The first code for passive entry has nothing to do with the issue and is an old code and not currently active, hence the "stored" note.
Back to the right front wheel speed sensor.........just because it states right front wheel speed sensor in the description does NOT automatically mean the sensor is bad and you should throw a new sensor on. Yes, it could be the sensor itself but it could also be working the way it's intended and saying it has a bad reading. Check the wiring, connections, and the tone ring on the wheel hub before randomly changing the sensor. From my experience at least half the time the issue is not the sensor itself that failed....

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
We see that you have received some great advice from your fellow forum members! However, if these suggestions do not address your concern and you decide to visit your dealer, our team would be happy to offer additional assistance throughout that process! We're available via private message.

Callie
Ram Cares

Dutra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram cares doesn’t care lol

Update! Found the parts in Texas will be here in 3 days. Dealership told me August 2023!! Part numbers have been changed it took some work but I am finally getting it fixed. $679 now since the part is in high demand with this known problem!

68143491AB hydraulic control unit
68347098AB control module

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram cares doesn’t care lol

Update! Found the parts in Texas will be here in 3 days. Dealership told me August 2023!! Part numbers have been changed it took some work but I am finally getting it fixed. $679 now since the part is in high demand with this known problem!

68143491AB hydraulic control unit
68347098AB control module
Out of curiosity, did you ever verify that the right front speed sensor signal was correct as shown in the code listing?

Dutra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Out of curiosity, did you ever verify that the right front speed sensor signal was correct as shown in the code listing?

Only code that was tripped was C0020-01.

This is exactly worded from the work order I have:
ABS PUMP MOTOR CONTROL GENERAL ELECTRICAL FAILURE.
TROUBLE TREE STATES TO REPLACE THE ABS HYDRAULIC CONTROL UNIT...
IF HYDRAULIC CONTROL UNIT DOES NOT FIX CONCERN NEXT STEP IS TO REPLACE ABS CONTROL MODULE..

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would inspect the connector, fuses, etc. Free & quick to do. Might not help, but you never know. Any electrical/power issue would give you that error.