AC Blows Hot air sometimes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My '18 Rebel 5.7l 4x4 sometimes will blow hot air when the AC is engaged (Seems like the condenser system doesn't kick in right). Usually on real warm days, but only like 2-3 times a year. I live in NC, near the SC boarder, so pretty warm climate. Most of the time, it is on days I can deal with the warmth, but I noticed something odd the other day. It was too warm to have warm air blowing, so I left the system off for a couple minutes, and cracked the windows, but it was still warmer than I want, so I turned the AC back on. Am I correct in my assumption that the system was "frozen" (or the sensor read wrong), and just needed to either thaw, or recheck the temp?

I haven't been able to reproduce it at a level I feel like asking someone I'm paying.

I do have the cabin air filter, from factory as it happens. Problem is, the shops don't realize the rebels seem to come with cabin filters, so mine went ~40k unchanged...

Just trying to figure out if it is something I need to worry about, or if it is just a mis-sample from the sensor.

I never turn off "AUTO" on the HVAC system in the truck if it matters.

ncdave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have no idea if it applies to your case, but my 08 ram was doing this about a year ago. Turns out it was the condensor pully. had it and the belt replaced. mine would stop working if I stopped at traffic lights and would work when at speed.