Ac clutch engages but pressures stay the same

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryan J

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie limited
Engine
5.7 hemi
My ac wasnt working so i figured it needed recharged as i have had to rechage it the last couple summers. So today i did that. Pulled a vacuum, put some refrigerant in it and the pressure never dropped on the low side. I checked the clutch and it was engaged, warm air blowing. I had 100psi on both high and low side. Equalized basically. I didnt even get 1/2 of a 12oz can in and it calls for 26oz. The low side would never drop lower than the pressure in the can to add more. I do refrigeration for a living so i know how a system works but not all that familiar with auto ac. Clutch engages but pressures stay the same with warm air blowing.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Other than some higher than usual head pressures you'll see in stationary equipment, the same principals apply in automotive refrigeration.
If the high and low side are equal than the compressor isn't working. It's highly unlikely that you wouldn't see some sort of differential pressure if the metering device was hosed.
You could try pulling all the refrigerant and making sure the oil charge is correct then weigh in the refrigerant charge but it probably won't help.

OP
OP
Ryan J

Ryan J

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie limited
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ok sounds like i need to change the compressor out then.