AC clutch is not turning on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmm47172

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST Regular Cab
Engine
3.7 L V6
I have a 2008 Dodge RAM 1500 with a 3.7L V6.
My AC clutch is not turning on.
I suspect either the low pressure switch or the high pressure switch.
How can I bypass them as a test to see if the clutch turns on?

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I have a 2008 Dodge RAM 1500 with a 3.7L V6.
My AC clutch is not turning on.
I suspect either the low pressure switch or the high pressure switch.
How can I bypass them as a test to see if the clutch turns on?
If you haven't checked low or out of freon will keep it from kicking in too.

OP
OP
cmm47172

cmm47172

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7 L V6
I'm working without gauges and an Ohm meter. I know, I need to get the right tools. I had a friend with gauges that added a can of refrigerant after replacing a bad high pressure line.
He first pulled a vacuum on the system and the added a 12oz can of refrigerant. He said the system had enough in it to make the clutch come on but I'm not sure about that. Could be low refrigerant like you said. Before I invest in a gauges set and a meter and teach myself how to use them properly, I thought it might be a good idea to test both switches first. Do you know how can I bypass them as a test to see if the clutch turns on?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'm working without gauges and an Ohm meter. I know, I need to get the right tools. I had a friend with gauges that added a can of refrigerant after replacing a bad high pressure line.
He first pulled a vacuum on the system and the added a 12oz can of refrigerant. He said the system had enough in it to make the clutch come on but I'm not sure about that. Could be low refrigerant like you said. Before I invest in a gauges set and a meter and teach myself how to use them properly, I thought it might be a good idea to test both switches first. Do you know how can I bypass them as a test to see if the clutch turns on?
All you need to do is complete the circuit when you disconnect the connector at either switch. I use a paper clip. Disconnect the low pressure switch and jump the terminals with the paper clip and hold it in place to see if the clutch engages. Then for the same thing to the high pressure switch.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cmm47172

cmm47172

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7 L V6
Thanks for your reply.
The high pressure switch connector is a 4 pin connector but only has three wires that connect to it.
I’m tempted to use a paper clip to jump the wires together but I’ afraid if I pick the wrong two wires I may fry something.
Which two wires should I jumper?
SwitchBack.JPG SwitchFront.PNG

OP
OP
cmm47172

cmm47172

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7 L V6
Just following up to post the fix. I replaced the pressure switch rather than jumping wires and so forth. Replacing the switch was the fix. I also bought some gauges and charged the ac up myself. Works like a champ now.