AC Compressor Knock?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DStroot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7
Hi,
I recently replaced the AC compressor in my 05, 4.7v8.

Seems to be working just fine in terms of cooling, but when it is turned on, there is a knock when it engages.

I assume its the clutch engaging in the compressor. But the old one with the blown clutch never made that noise...

Just curious if it seems like something that needs to,be addressed or just forgotten about.

Thanks

OP
OP
D

DStroot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7
To be clear.

Its one hard-ish sounding knock... Only one. Its not persistent.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Does the "knock" disappear when you turn the HVAC off? Or does the sound continue even though the compressor clutch is not energized? Did you put any oil in the compressor when you replaced it?

OP
OP
D

DStroot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7
Just one single knock a couple seconds after I turn it on, and no other knocks, ticks, buzzing after. If I run the AC, stop for an errand and turn it back on, generally no knock

Seems more audible if the trucks been in the sun for a while, like after work. As opposed to early AM.

Compressor had oil in it. Came with oil in it, I double checked to be sure.

Maybe too much or too little refrigerant? Gas expansion may explain more audible knock in the afternoon?