AC/heat only blowing from front vents

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Hawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I have a 2003 2500 and the Ac and heat work great, but it won’t switch over to defrost. I can change how hard it blows and the temp, but it is stuck on the front vents

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You have broken blend/ mode door(s) in the hvac box. A common problem.

Bloody_Knuckles

USN 81-86
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
And it is a PITA to repair. You can do it with a helper to move the dash but count on it taking the whole weekend. The special tools you will need are a set of AC coupler disconnect tools, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SRCK6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and an AC vacuum pump and a set of AC gauges. You can borrow the pump and gauges from O'reilly's. Get refrigerant with oil in it because you'll lose a little when you evacuate the AC system. You'll need two cans, one with oil and one without.

Buy the whole set of blend. mode, and recirc doors. https://www.blenddoorusa.com/collections/3rd-gen-02-09-dodge-ram-truck because you don't want to do this twice. Youtube has several good how to videos on it. If the Blend door USA price is too steep, you can find them cheaper, but I sent back 3 doors I got from Dorman via Amazon because one wasn't the right part, the second shaft was bent, and the third shaft had a crack in it. Go OEM or Blend door USA.

Last edited:

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've got the same issue on my 2007 1500. It was fixed in 2010 under warranty and it happened again about two years ago. I just live with it. Very costly to get repaired.

Red

Bloody_Knuckles

USN 81-86
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've got the same issue on my 2007 1500. It was fixed in 2010 under warranty and it happened again about two years ago. I just live with it. Very costly to get repaired.

Red

Only about $400 in parts and there is nothing in the job that you can't do in your garage.

Slueybalz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My friend had this recall done by the dealer, they cut a giant hole to gain access and taped it up with tin tape. Tape fell off a year later. We replaced the whole box in half a evening and half a 12 pack.

Bloody_Knuckles

USN 81-86
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My friend had this recall done by the dealer, they cut a giant hole to gain access and taped it up with tin tape. Tape fell off a year later. We replaced the whole box in half a evening and half a 12 pack.

That would be absolutely unacceptable for a manufacturer recall. I had the box out of the truck in about an hour and a half, another hour or so to replace all the doors, and a couple of hours to reinstall.