AC Help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KingOfStevens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
Good afternoon everyone,

I just joined this forum and this is my first post. I had a quick reading of the rules and I don`t think I`m breaking any, if so please let me know.

I need help fixing my AC system. Just replaced the condenser fan and compressor. When we hooked everything back up and started charging the system the compressor would not power on. We were able to jump it off the fuse box to get it come on but the pressure in the system was rapidly going up even with very little refrigerant put into the system.

The pressure switch does not seem to have any power getting to it either (tested with test light)
I THINK that is why the compressor isn't getting power. I have confirmed the fuses are good, I don`t see any obvious issues on the wiring harness.

I have limited funds and wanted to ask what your thoughts were? I`m thinking of going to a junk yard to try a different pressure switch and if that doesn't work replacing the dryer bottle with a new one.

I have engine code P0533 refrigerant pressure too high

2006 Ram 1500 SLT 4.7 standard gas.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Replace the accumulator and expansion valve. One of the 2 is bad. This is for the pressure part.

The electrical part may need a wiring diagram.

It looks like the power for the clutch comes out of the TIPM

I actually have the 2006 service manual but it is too large to email I think.
Search for service manuals on here and other places - the link for the 06 manual still might be up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

KingOfStevens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
Replace the accumulator and expansion valve. One of the 2 is bad. This is for the pressure part.

The electrical part may need a wiring diagram.

It looks like the power for the clutch comes out of the TIPM

I actually have the 2006 service manual but it is too large to email I think.
Search for service manuals on here and other places - the link for the 06 manual still might be up.

From what I understand the power wont even be sent to the plug that connects to the compressor if the pressure is too high/low.

Is the expansion valve the same as the orifice tube on this truck? a lot of people seem to be using the terms interchangeably.

And thank you!

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Correct

My bad, yours uses an actual orfice tube vs. and expansion valve on the older models. Rockauto shows that you can also just buy the orifice tube by itself.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...ng,a/c+accumulator+&+orifice+tube+kit,1001977

NOTE: The A/C orifice tube can be checked for proper operation using the following procedure. However,
the A/C orifice tube is only serviced as a part of the A/C liquid line. If the results of this test indicate that the
A/C orifice tube is obstructed or missing, the A/C liquid line must be replaced.
1. Confirm that the refrigerant system is properly charged (Refer to 24 - HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING - DIAGNOSIS
AND TESTING - A/C PERFORMANCE).
2. Start the engine. Turn on the A/C system and confirm that the compressor clutch is engaged.
3. Allow the A/C system to operate for five minutes.
4. Lightly and cautiously touch the A/C liquid line near the condenser outlet at the front of the engine compartment.
The A/C liquid line should be hot to the touch.
5. Touch the A/C liquid line near the evaporator inlet at the rear of the engine compartment. The A/C liquid line
should be cold to the touch.
6. If there is a distinct temperature differential between the two ends of the A/C liquid line, the A/C orifice tube is in
good condition. If there is little or no detectable temperature differential between the two ends of the A/C liquid
line, the A/C orifice tube is obstructed or missing and the A/C liquid line must be replaced (Refer to 24 - HEATING
& AIR CONDITIONING/PLUMBING/LINE-A/C LIQUID - REMOVAL).

OP
OP
K

KingOfStevens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
Thanks for your help, this has taken a back seat. I have a bigger issue now. I`ll update if I ever get around to working on the AC.