AC Manifold Gages Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Quick question regarding ac gages. I've used my set quite a few times over the years (have to recharge about once a year) with no issues. Today I went to recharge my ac and had a weird issue with my low side gage. Ambient temp was 100, low side read 40 and as I added r134a, the high side went up as expected but the low side wouldn't move.

My temperature pressure chart shows low should be 50-55 and high should be 315-325 at 100 degrees. Well, high side reached 325 no problem but the low side never moved off the initial 40psi.

If I kept filling to about 350 on the high side the low side would suddenly spike up to about 65 psi.

I'm thinking my gages have taken a dump on me, anyone have any thoughts about what is going on here before I buy new gages?

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Could be a hose went internally bad, one of the layers let loose.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It may be a good idea to figure out where it’s leaking from and fit that as that could be part of the problem or possibly your gauge going bad. Check with another gauge to confirm

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a new set of gages coming today. I will try those and report back. Also last night when I took the coupler off the low side service port the Schrader valve was leaking, I could hear gas escaping. Hopefully that's where my leak is.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Did you check the suction line temperature? There maybe a problem with the expansion valve or a plugged/dirty evaporator.

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't have an IR gun but it's cold to the touch. My new gages just arrived so I'm going to go out and see if I can figure out what is going on

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
New gages show LS was low at 30psi. Added r134a and high side reached the right psi but low side stopped at 40 (supposed to be 45-50).

Pretty much the same issue as the other gauges, won't go past 40 on LS.
Not sure what is going on, LS is 5-10PSI low and HS is normal.

Vent Temps are only going to 60 degrees (96 outside when measured).

Perhaps I introduced air into the system which is why it's not cooling well despite pressures being normal on high side a little low on the low side?

I may just take it in the have it vacuumed and refilled and see what happens. At least then I'll know there's no air in the system.

Attachments

• 20220806_090929.jpg
    20220806_090929.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220806_095420.jpg
    20220806_095420.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 3

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
air in the system would cause everything to go high, some more than others. Get a contact thermometer probe, take some good readings of the suction line and the temperature drop across the evap.
Having the charge weighed in is a good idea.

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bear with me, as you can tell I'm no ac expert. I can measure the temperature of the suction line no problem, but my understanding is that the evaporator coil is in the hvac box under the dash.

Probably a very dumb question but how do I get access to that to measure the difference in intake air and output air (the temperature drop)? I assume the output temp is the same as the vent temp since that's where the cooled air ends up?

This week I replaced my trucks thermostat and fan clutch. Getting annoyed with her shenanigans haha.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Probably a very dumb question but how do I get access to that to measure the difference in intake air and output air (the temperature drop)? I assume the output temp is the same as the vent temp since that's where the cooled air ends up?
Only would have been dumb not to ask.
For the inlet air temperature, stick the probe in at the air filter opening or just above that through the recirc door opening. The temp coming out of the vents is fine. Check the suction temp as close to where it comes out of the firewall and the system should be set in Max Cool (recirculation and fastest fan setting).

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks crash! I'll have to pick up an IR gun or contact thermometer so it might be a few days til I can check it out. I'll report back!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'll have to pick up an IR gun or contact thermometer so it might be a few days til I can check it out.
IR thermometer are horrible to use for diagnosis, they're effected by air movement and surface reflectivity. Find yourself a thermometer that uses a bead probe type.
I have a couple of Fluke thermometers that use K-Type bead probes, there's other less expensive meters if your not looking to spend a bunch of money one. You can strap the probe to lines if needed with Velcro straps or even electrical tape.

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I used digital food thermometer for now until my probe arrives.

Evap inlet @ recirc door was 111.7, vents lowest temperature was 65.8. However during measuring the compressor cycled off several times and the vent Temps went up to 80.

I was not able to use my thermometer on the suction line at the firewall as it was picking up the heat from the engine: however, when I felt the suction line it is at least as warm as the outside air which is 107 currently

The cycling between warm and cool air and the warm low pressure line would be what I would expect if it was low on refrigerant. Unless I sprung a massive leak in the past few days I can't see how it would have warmed up so quickly

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Quick question regarding ac gages. I've used my set quite a few times over the years (have to recharge about once a year) with no issues. Today I went to recharge my ac and had a weird issue with my low side gage. Ambient temp was 100, low side read 40 and as I added r134a, the high side went up as expected but the low side wouldn't move.

My temperature pressure chart shows low should be 50-55 and high should be 315-325 at 100 degrees. Well, high side reached 325 no problem but the low side never moved off the initial 40psi.

If I kept filling to about 350 on the high side the low side would suddenly spike up to about 65 psi.

I'm thinking my gages have taken a dump on me, anyone have any thoughts about what is going on here before I buy new gages?
You may have an issue with overtightening the valve on the hose fitting and damaging the schrader valve core in the A/C fitting.

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey Sherman,

I for sure am going to replace the Schrader valve, empty the system, and fill it back to the proper level. I don't trust that Schrader valve at all. When I drove it this morning the air stayed at 60 degrees. Now 6 hours later the air cycles between 65 and 80. I think it is losing quite a bit of r134a in a very short time

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Make sure that your condenser coil isn't plugged up by debris in the fins, etc., and that the fan is working also.

If the system can't shed heat, cooling is affected.

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good thought Ed, I actually hosed off the condensor about 2 weeks ago so I don't think that's the issue

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I think it is losing quite a bit of r134a in a very short time
I'd do a good leak check possibly with nitrogen (w/trace of 134a) before evacuating(vacuum leak check also) and recharging the system.
It almost sounds like too much refrigerant in the system and a high pressure control is turning the compressor off. Not 100% sure your AC system has a high pressure sensor but the newer 1234 systems do.

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm going to head outside in a little bit and see what the pressure is this morning to see if it lost refrigerant since yesterday. I'll report back