AC never turns off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Braeden Clark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l
The AC in my truck never turns off and drips obnoxious amounts of water. It can run for all of 30 seconds on have a large puddle. Any help as to why my ac won't turn off? It sounds like the compressor is always cycling. I just bought this truck so maybe they added too much freon? How would I release it if the pressure was too high?

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Do not remove refrigerant, if you can’t shut it off pull the fuse. Freon is a brand name for DuPont R-22 refrigerant.

Wallyb4

Retired EWC(SW/AW) 1983-2003
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
First of all what kind of truck to you have? Are you using the automatic controls for the temp and fan? Do you have any pictures to share. If the truck is still under a warranty, take it back to the dealership and have them check it out. If not did you have any recent work done to the A/C? That is where I would start at.

OP
OP
Braeden Clark

Braeden Clark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l
First of all what kind of truck to you have? Are you using the automatic controls for the temp and fan? Do you have any pictures to share. If the truck is still under a warranty, take it back to the dealership and have them check it out. If not did you have any recent work done to the A/C? That is where I would start at.
2000 Ram 1500 5.9l. I am using the controls in the cab. Just bought the truck so I'm just trying to find possibilities as to why my ac never turns off

RamRod37

2014 Ram 2500 HD 5.7 Hemi
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
A/C Relay is possibly stuck in on Relay R 10 is the a\c relay and fuse J is the fuse for A/C swap R7 wipers with the A/C relay temporary and see if that fixed Issue if so replace Relay. My Internet is so messed up right now I can not get the fuse location image to upload

Last edited:

Wallyb4

Retired EWC(SW/AW) 1983-2003
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
It could also be the AC controller in the cab if your relay is working correctly.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The AC in my truck never turns off and drips obnoxious amounts of water. It can run for all of 30 seconds on have a large puddle. Any help as to why my ac won't turn off? It sounds like the compressor is always cycling. I just bought this truck so maybe they added too much freon? How would I release it if the pressure was too high?
If the HVAC housing is pouring water out of the drain tube location just after start-up I would look and see if the drain tube is still attached. The original drain tubes are made of rubber and are shaped like a 90° elbow.

When the drain tube gets old the rubber deteriorates and it falls off. This allows the condensation created by the evaporator to sit in the HVAC housing and when your first start the truck and turn the blower motor on it pushes the water out and it makes big puddles.

To determine why the A/C compressor clutch is staying engaged constantly, turn the HVAC Control Head to the off position and start the engine. Open the hood and watch the compressor clutch and see if it is actually engaging/disengaging. If it is then swap the A/C Clutch Relay with another relay and see what happens.

There is a possibility that the relay is stuck or the control head switch is faulty and not removing the power to the circuit to turn off the clutch.

Also, if the HVAC system is overcharged please go to a shop with the proper HVAC equipment to evacuate the refrigerant and properly charge it.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
If the compressor is cycling on/off in a normal A/C fashion and the cab is getting cold, something w/in the cab is calling for a/c.

I know the truck is old, but does it have some type of fancy automatic climate control? If so, most of those keep the a/c on even with heat settings.

If it's standard manual controls, A/C will run with any windshield defrost setting selected.

OP
OP
Braeden Clark

Braeden Clark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l
I have fo
If the HVAC housing is pouring water out of the drain tube location just after start-up I would look and see if the drain tube is still attached. The original drain tubes are made of rubber and are shaped like a 90° elbow.

When the drain tube gets old the rubber deteriorates and it falls off. This allows the condensation created by the evaporator to sit in the HVAC housing and when your first start the truck and turn the blower motor on it pushes the water out and it makes big puddles.

To determine why the A/C compressor clutch is staying engaged constantly, turn the HVAC Control Head to the off position and start the engine. Open the hood and watch the compressor clutch and see if it is actually engaging/disengaging. If it is then swap the A/C Clutch Relay with another relay and see what happens.

There is a possibility that the relay is stuck or the control head switch is faulty and not removing the power to the circuit to turn off the clutch.

Also, if the HVAC system is overcharged please go to a shop with the proper HVAC equipment to evacuate the refrigerant and properly charge it.
I have found that the ac is only engaged in one position that doesn't have the snowflake symbol. It stays on when it's on both your feet and face. Even tho it doesn't have the ac symbol. Other then that it works fine

Bear_Gibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
The compressor should come on when in the max cool setting, the standard cool setting, and both defrost settings. A large puddle of water indicates the a/c is working and pulling moisture from the air. That's normal. Mine doesn't cycle when its hot. A cycling compressor can be several things. High and low side pressures would be helpful here. You really need a proper set of a/c gauges to see whats going on. I have a manual on .PDF if you can't find one.