Ac not cold and weird air tank pressure sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey yall, so truck had ice cold air last summer no issues, and then it was parked most of our winter last 5 months and only used a couple times.
Now we are getting some plus 30C weather and the air is blowing luke warm and theres this weird noise.
Sounds like a air tank filling up in the glove box area but only when i have the ac button on.
It does it for a good 20 seconds then stops.
I tried to make a video but my trucks too loud and having hard time picking it up.

I was going to bring it in to a buddy to do a ac recharge as hes just bringing home the machine after work but wondering if this noise would just be normal the ac pressurizing or something?

Also anything to check before i get system refilled? condenser drain plug ?

2014 ram sport with duel climate.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Can you tell if the a/c compressor is cycling or not? The E-fan in front of the engine driven fan?

I know you can't hear or feel the a/c compressor on my 2019 classic hemi when it kicks on.

You could check for oily residue signs of leakage from the condensate drain tube under the truck or eye ball the refrigerant lines for oily residue. Not sure what year Ram went with R1234yf refrigerant, but if yours has it, you're going to want to make sure there's no issues or leaks with the system due to it's cost.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ToxicFire

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can you tell if the a/c compressor is cycling or not? The E-fan in front of the engine driven fan?

I know you can hear or feel the a/c compressor on my 2019 classic hemi when it kicks on.

You could check for oily residue signs of leakage from the condensate drain tube under the truck or eye ball the refrigerant lines for oily residue. Not sure what year Ram went with R1234yf refrigerant, but if yours has it, you're going to want to make sure there's no issues or leaks with the system due to it's cost.
Yes mine takes 1234yf.

Just went outside so truck running with ac off then I press the ac on I don't notice anything different in the running or sounds.

Popped the hood and when I press max ac on the clutch starts spinning very fast.

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Sorry, I corrected the above. I meant to say I can't hear or feel the compressor kick on, on my 2019 classic, even though it does. I'd have to watch the clutch actuate.

Yes, even with heat or defrost selected, the compressor should cycle unless cold ambient temps hold it out. That's usually under 50F.

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
when a refrigeration system is low on gas you will get a hissing or whistling noise from the expansion valve which I believe the truck has and will have to look at my system again I don't remember there being a low pressure cut out switch. the only way to trouble shoot it is to put a set of gauges on and see what the running pressures are.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Willing to bet it’s low. As said before a hissing sound is usually a result of low refrigerant.

Very common leak is from the plug on the bottom of the condenser accumulator. It’s on the driver side bottom of the condenser.

OP
OP
ToxicFire

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well took truck to ac guy yesterday,he checked system said it was low and said everything held so filled it up and its back to ice cold ac.
Hopefully it stays and theres no actual leak.
Funny everyone out here wants 400 to 600 for a refill. They say the cost is crazy for 1234yf however the guy i went to said there is a difference but its not bend you over difference.

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well took truck to ac guy yesterday,he checked system said it was low and said everything held so filled it up and its back to ice cold ac.
Hopefully it stays and theres no actual leak.
Funny everyone out here wants 400 to 600 for a refill. They say the cost is crazy for 1234yf however the guy i went to said there is a difference but its not bend you over difference.

if it was low, guarantee there is a leak in the system, may be a very slow one.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
if it was low, guarantee there is a leak in the system, may be a very slow one.
Yeah. Hope he put in dye or something to find the leak when it is low again. Or how the leak is slow enough you get a few years before it's bad again.

OP
OP
ToxicFire

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah. Hope he put in dye or something to find the leak when it is low again. Or how the leak is slow enough you get a few years before it's bad again.
Yes he put a dye in it, I'm hoping it's very slow and I'm good for the summer.

OP
OP
ToxicFire

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey so an update hoping someone could answer for me.

So it's been about a week or so since recharge and I went out yesterday started truck to leave and it was blowing ice cold. Then started getting less cold then warm.

I turned climate off then on still blew warm, I then turned the heat on then off turned ac back on then all of a sudden it started blowing ice cold again and stayed ice cold until I got home 15 minute drive.

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe the leak is bigger than you think and it’s starting to act up because it’s losing refrigerant again. The fact that it worked perfectly after the recharge would lead you to believe it was indeed refrigerant level related and not something else.

I would bring it back to your buddy and have him put a light on it and see if that dye is evident.

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hey so an update hoping someone could answer for me.

So it's been about a week or so since recharge and I went out yesterday started truck to leave and it was blowing ice cold. Then started getting less cold then warm.

I turned climate off then on still blew warm, I then turned the heat on then off turned ac back on then all of a sudden it started blowing ice cold again and stayed ice cold until I got home 15 minute drive.

that sounds like an icing up evap which can be caused by being low on gas. you may have a bigger leak than thought. like I said earlier you need to put a set of gauges on the system to see what is going on.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I’m still betting the condenser plug is leaking. We do these daily at work when it starts getting warmer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963