Ac stuck on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Will Huet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
my AC is stuck on no matter what I do. I remove the relay in the clutch turns off. I've even swapped relays and it's still stays on when they're plugged in. Turning on the AC and turning off the AC does nothing it only turns on the condenser fan. I can't figure out why it won't respond to the button it just stays on at all times unless I unplug the relay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think defrost keeps the a/c condenser on at all times regardless of heat setting and pushing the button. Something about drawing out the moisture from the air before heating it up and blowing it onto the glass.

Try switching the settings around and see if it will ever turn off.

If not, then try disconnecting and reconnecting the battery to see if the computer is just being dopey. If that doesn’t work either and you still haven’t found an issue you might just need to swap the ac control unit. It might just be that dirt and residue has managed to build up and cross circuits on the board the same way that it did in the multifunction switches, causing them to do all sorts of crazy stuff.

Good luck!

OP
OP
W

Will Huet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Alright I'll try that
I think defrost keeps the a/c condenser on at all times regardless of heat setting and pushing the button. Something about drawing out the moisture from the air before heating it up and blowing it onto the glass.

Try switching the settings around and see if it will ever turn off.

If not, then try disconnecting and reconnecting the battery to see if the computer is just being dopey. If that doesn’t work either and you still haven’t found an issue you might just need to swap the ac control unit. It might just be that dirt and residue has managed to build up and cross circuits on the board the same way that it did in the multifunction switches, causing them to do all sorts of crazy stuff.

Good luck!
I'll give that a try. It's like there's a short somewhere causing the clutch to engage regardless of HVAC panel control setting. Only way to turn on is put relay in it's spot in fuse box. Only way to turn off is to remove said relay. It doesn't even cycle the compressor when on too. I notice it freezes over the little radiator thing in the truck if you drive highway speeds. Like it will slowly blow less and less air and keep getting colder till it's completely froze over. I'll give the AC control unit a try.

I'll keep ya updated!

jonnyques

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi did you ever find a solution?
Having same issue. Ac clutch engages intermittently.while system is off.
Thanks

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi did you ever find a solution?
Having same issue. Ac clutch engages intermittently.while system is off.
Thanks
Do you have climate control? Or wondering if the ac controls may be failing. Or could be a short in the wiring for the controls
Unfortunately it says the OP was last logged in July 13, 2019

Mahilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m having the same issue. Has anyone else been through this and found a fix? Thanks.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I’m having the same issue. Has anyone else been through this and found a fix? Thanks.
You have a gen 4 truck, turn the temp adjust knob up a click or two. Gen 4 automatically turn on a/c when temp knob is all the way to cold.