AC temperature at vents

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn. What should the ac temperature blowing out of the vents be? Mine blows out at about 50.1 degrees. and that's on Max AC. Dealer said this is normal but inside the cabin never gets cold. Especially around the head area. Any thoughts?

Take your average neighborhood chihuahua and hold the little critter up to the outlet air and see if it makes the little fella shiver! ;)

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the same issue until I installed a ball valve to cut the flow of hot water to the heater core. I get 41 degrees now. I have to open the valve for winter driving. The A/C works great if you do this on the 1500. I heard you have to be careful on the 2500 and 3500 not to block the transmission cooling lines. I have not looked into that myself because I have the 1500 Hemi. To check this, put a fuel line clamp on the heater core line temporarily to see how it works.
I know a lot of the cars in the 70's and 80's I used to work on had a heater control valve that would block coolant flow to the heater core when the A/C was on. They used to get clogged all the time if you didn't keep your cooling system clean and you would basically lose your heat and defrost until you replaced it or cleaned it. Other than getting clogged once in a while they seemed to work well. I'm surprised they don't use them on some of the newer vehicles anymore.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

oldmako

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi, non eTorque
I just saw this and jumped to the last page. I'll go back and read the entire thread.

I have a 2019 1500 and the AC sucks. I don't know how else to 'splain it. My truck is Silver, so it's bound to be cooler than a black truck, for example.

I keep a thermo in the dash vent and only occasionally do I see temps near 50F. I typically see 60. And to me, that is totally unsat. If I take a longer drive, it's OK. But for running errands on a 90 degree, sunny day in Virginia Beach, it sucks. It is literally the ONLY thing I don't like about the truck.

I have a 1990 Mercedes with R12 and you could hang frozen meat in that thing after a 5 minute drive. On a road trip you turn the temp UP it so cold.

I read a thread last summer where a guy put a small shut-off valve in one of the heater lines. As I recall, it produced decent results. Once it cools off enough to crawl up under the hood and undertake that job.

mlappin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Take your average neighborhood chihuahua and hold the little critter up to the outlet air and see if it makes the little fella shiver! ;)

When my father in law passed we inherited his little taco bell dog, all five pounds of her. If its below 80 she shivers. She pretty much spends the winter on a heat vent or a heating pad.

GeoffreyXE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just pinch off the heater hose going to the heater core. Harbor freight has a hose line vise for $8. I zipped tied mine so it wouldn't fall while driving. It's not a permanent repair but will be cold inside and tells you if your blend door is mixing in heat when it's not supposed too. Took me 30 seconds to pinch the hose and zip tie. Went from 52 driver vent to 38. Same day within one hour. During the middle of a hot day as well.

I just saw this and jumped to the last page. I'll go back and read the entire thread.

I have a 2019 1500 and the AC sucks. I don't know how else to 'splain it. My truck is Silver, so it's bound to be cooler than a black truck, for example.

I keep a thermo in the dash vent and only occasionally do I see temps near 50F. I typically see 60. And to me, that is totally unsat. If I take a longer drive, it's OK. But for running errands on a 90 degree, sunny day in Virginia Beach, it sucks. It is literally the ONLY thing I don't like about the truck.

I have a 1990 Mercedes with R12 and you could hang frozen meat in that thing after a 5 minute drive. On a road trip you turn the temp UP it so cold.

I read a thread last summer where a guy put a small shut-off valve in one of the heater lines. As I recall, it produced decent results. Once it cools off enough to crawl up under the hood and undertake that job.

Last edited:

LoadedExpressRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For us uneducated ignorant mechanics could one of you post a picture of this pinch or ball valve deal? Really interested in trying this but i could see myself pinching the battery cable without some proper guidance. Appreciate the help south MS is hot as chit right now.

Bluejoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello members. I brought mine in for AC service because it didn’t feel cold enough for me. They evacuated system did recharge plus leak detector. Said it was blowing at the recommended temp. 52 degrees at 1500 rpm. Is it possible you can add another product without overcharging to get it colder. I have a product can I purchased at car show which when added it decreases temp getting colder. It states it changes the molecular structure which makes what your using perform better. Any thoughts

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hello members. I brought mine in for AC service because it didn’t feel cold enough for me. They evacuated system did recharge plus leak detector. Said it was blowing at the recommended temp. 52 degrees at 1500 rpm. Is it possible you can add another product without overcharging to get it colder. I have a product can I purchased at car show which when added it decreases temp getting colder. It states it changes the molecular structure which makes what your using perform better. Any thoughts

in 38 years working commercial refrigeration only time have heard of a so called additive that makes it more efficient was an oil additive, a large customer at the urging of the snake oil salesman tried this in one of their stores. we were in there for days changing oil and cleaning plugged expansion valves, it was a mess. do not add anything to your system, is likely doing the best it can in the conditions.

Desert Dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tested on my 2019 today. Left vent next to radio is blowing at 73°, vent to the right of the radio is 42°, lol
Taking it to the dealership to get checked.cb27eb076cdd757e6d0dce3936b2d276.jpga9a9a4e9ce2e2f44d9b69103f0f81db0.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
We're sorry to hear about your A/C concerns @Desert Dude. If you would like additional support throughout the duration of your dealer appointment do let us know! Send us a private message with your vehicle's VIN to get started.

Hannah
Ram Cares

tom martley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have a 2019 1500 Limited. The A/C was not putting out very cool air. On hot days, the A/C did a really poor job of cooling. I took truck to dealer and they re-charged the A/C. Same story, bottom line, Ram has a very poor A/C in that truck. Since then, have talked to other owners who have the same problem.Of course, you will never get the Ram dealers to admit the problem. Next had the entire Nav system quite working. It has been a month now and truck still not fixed. Dealer had to order parts. Am looking at new F150

Felt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
6.7L
There's a recall for the 2500 trucks. I haven't read the whole thread if the recall is mentioned previously but there is a recall that they change out the HVAC box under the dash or something.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2019 1500 Limited. The A/C was not putting out very cool air. On hot days, the A/C did a really poor job of cooling. I took truck to dealer and they re-charged the A/C. Same story, bottom line, Ram has a very poor A/C in that truck. Since then, have talked to other owners who have the same problem.Of course, you will never get the Ram dealers to admit the problem. Next had the entire Nav system quite working. It has been a month now and truck still not fixed. Dealer had to order parts. Am looking at new F150

NOT A RECALL REF AC HVAC EVAPORATOR: TSB Issued: TSB # 24-001-20. Has to be approved by your dealer and FCA prior. Parts have to be ordered and U are looking at 1 - 2 days at Dealership. I am currently awaiting parts coming in to take MY 19 to Dealership for TSB Work.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There's a recall for the 2500 trucks. I haven't read the whole thread if the recall is mentioned previously but there is a recall that they change out the HVAC box under the dash or something.

See entry # 95.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hello @tom martley! Our team is sorry to hear about your vehicle's A/C's concerns and would like to look into this further. Please send us a private message with your vehicle's VIN to get started.

Hannah
Ram Cares

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
I hate to tell U but 50 degrees in 90 degrees out is within Ram Specs. Now I get from 50-57 out front vents and 48.2 lowest on center rear vents. U would have to do a popular HVAC hack to get colder on the MY 19;s

HERE ARE THE SPECS: I am not happy on the poor peformance designed into the truck, but sure do enjoy driving it: But everybody has their own personal preference on stuff, IMHO...

View attachment 216913
Old post I see, but are these temperatures with regular or max ac on, regular ac doesn’t get that cold in my truck (high 50’s) but max ac is around 45F. Tested today truck said it was 80F outside (weather channel 78) 61% humidity outside. My Tahoe went down to 40F today she gets chilly.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
GM has always had the best AC out there, period. RAM was 2nd and Ford third in the past. But now, in my experience, GM #1, Ford #2, RAM #3. But I also have an early build 2019 DT truck (Apr 2018), and had to have the TSB done due to faulty parts installed. With TSB done, on Auto temp, say set at 62 in cab, mine will now blow at 48 ish at 90-100 degrees outside, On MAX AC, if Moving, I can get down to 44 ish. Now if I do hack, and put CLAMP on outlet water-hose to core, I can get down to 41 ISH, but I have found for dis BOIRD, the 44-48 OK. But also each vent has a different temp. I found the coolest vent on my truck is the right side center vent (Pax left vent), and the warmest is drivers side by door. And that is with the hack and the moved/added sensors etc.,.