Accessory power off of battery? ps AMP running boards still suck!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I followed the instructions word for word. but these are not even close.
My 14 Express was the first one I did and also the one that fit the worst. I hate to say bounce on them to fit because your feet don't actually leave the running board but it definitely took me a few sessions of some pretty sturdy up and down action to get the passenger side to clear. They definitely made the clearance pretty close and should have addressed it by now. As far as function after getting them to clear they have been great. I love how tight they fit up to the bottom of the truck and are pretty much undetectable until they deploy. I've had mine on for over 5 years with no issues as all. All the other trucks have been fine so far as well as far as function after getting them to clear. It's up to you but since you already have them installed you may want to try bouncing on them to get them to clear and go from there. My passenger side was pretty bad and I honestly didn't think I could make it clear but it eventually did.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Westwind1124a

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
I have the Amp steps on my 2016 and no issues what so ever. Just followed the instructions and I was good to go. Same cab generation so not sure what the problem is on yours, strange?

The amp people claim that the quality control at ram is bad an thats what causes the problem

donivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I installed amp steps recently and ran into this problem where the steps wouldn't clear the pinch weld. I didn't think they would work but did some serious "bouncing" along the entire steps. I'm tipping the scales at 250 and still got my wife out there to help with some weight and momentum. The truck suspension was getting a workout. If you're a lightweight get a wife or friend to help "bounce". After they cleared they have been working perfectly. The family loves the steps since my truck is riding on 37s. The main reason I went with amps over the competition was they plug directly into the truck vs. having some magnets on the doors to activate the steps.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I’ve had several sets of the Amp steps and wouldn’t change a thing. Again bouncing was the key on every install and I’m pushing 300+....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I assume the instructions are the same for your year where you have to stand and bounce on them. It took me like 15 minutes of doing it per side. I even called customer support and the told me to keep doing it. Mine have been great since I finally got them to clear.

Also I ran power directly to positive battery terminal and to the fender ground junction. That is until I installed the relay/fuse panel later. The kit comes with an inline fuse so you are good.

Something is not right. The running board edge should not be touching or extending beyond the pinch weld. You're not using the extended links? Yeah, have to jump up and down on them to get them "settle" or they'll catch the pinch weld when deploying. Major, major PITA as a DIY project. Took me a whole day to install.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
If they built them with 1/4 plate and could double as a slider, I would be intrigued. They were nice on my Pavement Queen I own a few years back. Not sure they belong on a PW that will do any serious off-roading. IMO :popcorn:

3FC81315-B1AA-4948-83A9-1E58071D2EF1.jpeg

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
If they built them with 1/4 plate and could double as a slider, I would be intrigued. They were nice on my Pavement Queen I own a few years back. Not sure they belong on a PW that will do any serious off-roading. IMO :popcorn:

View attachment 228472

All true. I would suspect major damage if they got hung up on a rock or huge stump buried in mud or in a hi-center situation. Nevertheless, my other half complained about having to climb up into the cab.

C'est la vie!

OP
OP
Westwind1124a

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
All done. that truly did suck! All said and done the front end cap on the board rubs slightly on both sides. They function properly though so I may just leave it alone.

Thanks for all of the input!

As a recap, I did have these same boards on my '12 ram. The install on those sucked too. That was one of the reason I waited so long to put these on my power wagon. I was lead to believe that they had fixed the fitment problems since then. So when I put those on last night it sent me through the roof.

The fix was partially to jump on them. but that only worked after I removed the top filler plate on the front side. I included a pic below. Then I had to have someone stand on them while I drilled the holes and rivet them into place.

What I thought was correct in regard to the jumping on them. I climbed under the truck while someone hopped on them and it was actually caving in the back of the rocker.

Now that they're on I'm sure that they'll be rock solid. But these things need a major refresh. Its like they made a cool product back in the day and still think that these are cutting edge. Fix this **** already!

Sorry for the rant

IMG_9560.jpeg

TerrysWagon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Had Amps on my ‘18. Had to modify the pinch weld. NOT getting them on this truck. Gonna order some White Knuckle Off Road rock rails with a top plate to serve as a “step”

Last edited:

bigdodge

Reaction score
I'm confused. That black filter plate goes inside the body cavity so how did removing it change anything?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Westwind1124a

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
I'm confused. That black filter plate goes inside the body cavity so how did removing it change anything?

It was not the lower one. there is one at the top of the front too. when I took it out and riveted it in at the top it pulled it tighter at the top and that seemed to be just enough

IMG_9564.jpeg

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

No, there is a reinforcement plate that goes inside the body to prevent the rivnuts from pulling through.
This is a "spacer" for trucks that do not have the crash protection cross member. It allows the bracket to sit flush against the body because there is a "notch" in it to accommodate the cross member.

Mine fit with no problems using the spacer and I would be a little nervous about running with out either the spacer or cross member. It's not going to sit flush against the body which is essential for a secure mounting I would think.

OP
OP
Westwind1124a

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
No, there is a reinforcement plate that goes inside the body to prevent the rivnuts from pulling through.
This is a "spacer" for trucks that do not have the crash protection cross member. It allows the bracket to sit flush against the body because there is a "notch" in it to accommodate the cross member.

Mine fit with no problems using the spacer and I would be a little nervous about running with out either the spacer or cross member. It's not going to sit flush against the body which is essential for a secure mounting I would think.

Agreed. But that was the only way it fit. See above rant

My next stop will be a fabrication shop if it fails.

Last edited:

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Agreed. But that was the only way it fit. See above rant

My next stop will be a fabrication shop if it fails.
This is interesting to hear i had a set of amp power running boards installed on my 2015 ram crew cab limited. The truck accessory store where I purchased them installed them. They looked and worked great with no issues. I traded the truck in on a new gen 5 limited which has the steps from the factory on the truck, they also work and look great. I had 70-k miles on the 2015 and over four years of non issues with the amp steps which were installed right after I purchased the truck. I went from the dealer to the the place I purched and had them installed. First I've heard of fitment issues.

OP
OP
Westwind1124a

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
This is interesting to hear i had a set of amp power running boards installed on my 2015 ram crew cab limited. The truck accessory store where I purchased them installed them. They looked and worked great with no issues. I traded the truck in on a new gen 5 limited which has the steps from the factory on the truck, they also work and look great. I had 70-k miles on the 2015 and over four years of non issues with the amp steps which were installed right after I purchased the truck. I went from the dealer to the the place I purched and had them installed. First I've heard of fitment issues.

I'd be curious to know if the pinch weld on the new cab is a little more consistent.

bigdodge

Reaction score
That's just it. There is nothing more consistent than a stamped steel panel that is welded by robots. I wonder how consistent amps parts are? I personally think it falls more on them.

OP
OP
Westwind1124a

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
That's just it. There is nothing more consistent than a stamped steel panel that is welded by robots. I wonder how consistent amps parts are? I personally think it falls more on them.

Their parts seem well built. Again, I just think that they need a refresh. probably not going to happen on a 13 year old cab though. :)