Active Grille Shutters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Today I uninstalled the whole assembly for the AGS system. Hemifever coded it out for me so I could delete it. No issues there, not throwing codes. I was watching my temps on a 20min 75mph trip today and my temps were bouncing between my normal 195-203, but it was fairly rapid, which I have never noticed before. Wondering if theres a turbulence issue due to the AGS delete. Anyone have any experience with this?

Background: Before hand I had cheated and removed all but the very top and bottom shutters, the minimum needed to still “function” and nit throw codes. I ran it this way for 4 years now. The delete was because I have been running a Vararam intake.
I have an oem grille that has the deflector on both sides to funnel air into condenser/radiator. The AGS housing also directed air in the sane manor, but it actually blocked portions of the condensor/radiator.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What temp thermostat? Stock temp?
Doubt it is turbulance, but could be a stat opening and closing due to rapid cooling with that much air flow - maybe.

Is rapid - too fast to be real or just quickly but a realistic change?

OP
OP
ThunderMug95

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What temp thermostat? Stock temp?
Doubt it is turbulance, but could be a stat opening and closing due to rapid cooling with that much air flow - maybe.

Is rapid - too fast to be real or just quickly but a realistic change?
Stock Tstat, but am swapping in a 180.
Its just fluctuating on the Evic much faster than previous.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The stock stat is a 203 deg stat, so it is probably just opening and closing quickly - might be getting weak or maybe just the temps today, might act normal if it is colder or warmer out.

I only have 2 or 3 rows removed and mine is fairly steady most of the time after a few bounces - but I have seen it do the 195-203 bounce a few times.

OP
OP
ThunderMug95

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The stock stat is a 203 deg stat, so it is probably just opening and closing quickly - might be getting weak or maybe just the temps today, might act normal if it is colder or warmer out.

I only have 2 or 3 rows removed and mine is fairly steady most of the time after a few bounces - but I have seen it do the 195-203 bounce a few times.
Yeah it was a curiosity.

Daniel Ortiz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi V8
@ThunderMug95 , I recently replaced the stock thermostat on my 2017 5.7L Express (with a new stock thermostat), and upon road testing it (and paying super close attention to the coolant temperatures), noticed this rapid (but not unrealistic) up and down fluctuations in temperatures, faster than I ever remember seeing them change, as it got into the range of operating temperature, between 195 and 212 F. It would climb rapidly, shoot past 203, up to 210-212, then plummet back down to 195, then back up to 210, and so forth. But within about 5 minutes, the fluctuations reduced, especially as the engine oil temp made it up to the 200+ range, and then finally all temps became steady at around 206 F.

My theories:

(1) New thermostat needed some break-in time to operate smoothly

(2) The new thermostat doesn't open EXACTLY at 203, but over a short range around 203, and this range may be different from the previous termostat, and the computer was re-learning when to open the shutters to play nice with the new thermostat to achieve best results.

(3) It actually does this all the time but I've never paid this close attention to it at the moment the temperatures are all reaching operating levels.

I'd keep paying attention over multiple drives to see if it gets better, worse, or stays the same. Could have been happening all the time but you weren't necessarily paying close attention to it. Or maybe your thermostat is just getting old. 195-203 F doesn't seem abnormal to fluctuate around especially now that it's only your thermostat controlling the coolant temperature.

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@ThunderMug95 , I recently replaced the stock thermostat on my 2017 5.7L Express (with a new stock thermostat), and upon road testing it (and paying super close attention to the coolant temperatures), noticed this rapid (but not unrealistic) up and down fluctuations in temperatures, faster than I ever remember seeing them change, as it got into the range of operating temperature, between 195 and 212 F. It would climb rapidly, shoot past 203, up to 210-212, then plummet back down to 195, then back up to 210, and so forth. But within about 5 minutes, the fluctuations reduced, especially as the engine oil temp made it up to the 200+ range, and then finally all temps became steady at around 206 F.

My theories:

(1) New thermostat needed some break-in time to operate smoothly

(2) The new thermostat doesn't open EXACTLY at 203, but over a short range around 203, and this range may be different from the previous termostat, and the computer was re-learning when to open the shutters to play nice with the new thermostat to achieve best results.

(3) It actually does this all the time but I've never paid this close attention to it at the moment the temperatures are all reaching operating levels.

I'd keep paying attention over multiple drives to see if it gets better, worse, or stays the same. Could have been happening all the time but you weren't necessarily paying close attention to it. Or maybe your thermostat is just getting old. 195-203 F doesn't seem abnormal to fluctuate around especially now that it's only your thermostat controlling the coolant temperature.
Those temps were moving, you were not watching. Same on MY 19 Bighorn DT truck, IMHO...

ADDED: Sometimes in summer so hot, I on purpose put on MAX AC to force the fan to run till temps cool down before I turn off the truck, just something I do.

CAVEAT: For all the ED owners, (actually goes for anyone who has a turbo setup, let them cool down for a few minutes), if running hard, let idle for a few minutes till your Turbo cools down some, so U R not heat soaking the turbo's.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ThunderMug95

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In the almost 5 years Ive owned it, the temps have never exceeded 205 on the EVIC at least. Im thinking its the increased airflow. I should probably flush the system and do a new Tstat/coolant. I need to research and/or get some input on which Tstat to get given my current set up.
I will summon @Wild one to get his input :D

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
In the almost 5 years Ive owned it, the temps have never exceeded 205 on the EVIC at least. Im thinking its the increased airflow. I should probably flush the system and do a new Tstat/coolant. I need to research and/or get some input on which Tstat to get given my current set up.
I will summon @Wild one to get his input :D
Lately it seems to be luck of the draw on getting a good t-stat.I went through "3" brand new 180 thermostats on the wifes Challenger before i finally got a good one.They were doing similiar things as you're describing,the temps would climb then drop back quickly,then repeat.I tested all 3 in a pot of hot water,and all 3 worked okay on the stove,but once in the car,they would start to act up after a week or 2 of use. These days it seems like being new doesn't nessarily mean it's any good

OP
OP
ThunderMug95

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lately it seems to be luck of the draw on getting a good t-stat.I went through "3" brand new 180 thermostats on the wifes Challenger before i finally got a good one.They were doing similiar things as you're describing,the temps would climb then drop back quickly,then repeat.I tested all 3 in a pot of hot water,and all 3 worked okay on the stove,but once in the car,they would start to act up after a week or 2 of use. These days it seems like being new doesn't nessarily mean it's any good
So now that I have a tune..,HF93, I probably should go to a 180.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So now that I have a tune..,HF93, I probably should go to a 180.
Maybe, but 180 a lil low, I would do 195, but that is me, but I just run stock, not have all the added tunes etc.,.

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have seen the temp fluctuations be the signs of head gasket problems.

OP
OP
ThunderMug95

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To be clear, the temps are within normal operating range, just seem to be fluctuating faster now that theres more airflow hitting the radiator.
Im not really concerned, I have a 180 tstat on the way from Summit.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
If you run a 180 stat you are going to find you get worse gas mileage for one thing. You will also find heat in cold weather is an issue. Running 20 degrees too cold is as bad as 20 too hot. Unless you are towing heavy in hot weather, I can't think of a good reason to run a 180 stat on a modern, normally aspirated, injected motor.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
To be clear, the temps are within normal operating range, just seem to be fluctuating faster now that theres more airflow hitting the radiator.
Im not really concerned, I have a 180 tstat on the way from Summit.
I've had better luck with Stant 180's compared to Milodon 180's.The Stant that replaced the Milodon has been in the car for 2.5 years now with no issues

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
If you run a 180 stat you are going to find you get worse gas mileage for one thing. You will also find heat in cold weather is an issue. Running 20 degrees too cold is as bad as 20 too hot. Unless you are towing heavy in hot weather, I can't think of a good reason to run a 180 stat on a modern, normally aspirated, injected motor.
How many late model vehicles have you ran a 180 in Dean? You're going on heresay aren't you,as i'll lay odds you've never put a 180 thermostat in something newer have you

OP
OP
ThunderMug95

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you run a 180 stat you are going to find you get worse gas mileage for one thing. You will also find heat in cold weather is an issue. Running 20 degrees too cold is as bad as 20 too hot. Unless you are towing heavy in hot weather, I can't think of a good reason to run a 180 stat on a modern, normally aspirated, injected motor
Valid points for most, but not necessarily in my situation . I live in Virginia, very temperate. My truck is also custom tuned and this is another step in the maximizing performance process.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
How many late model vehicles have you ran a 180 in Dean? You're going on heresay aren't you,as i'll lay odds you've never put a 180 thermostat in something newer have you
Actually you are right, I have never put a 180 in a 2012 or newer vehicle. Used to swap between 180 and 195, winter and summer, on the older Carburated and early fuel injected throttle body vehicles. I have however taken them out of two Rams, 1 Ford 250 and two GMs. In every case they were complaining about no heat on the highway. The increased gas mileage is anecdotal from a couple of the guys that had those trucks, I did not see it myself.

Do what you like, but up here it gets really cold and rarely gets to 80F, so the 180 is no bueno.