Add “technology group” after sale?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Chappell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Howdy!

I’m curious to see if anyone has considered adding the technology group after initial purchase. I’m mostly interested in the HUD. The option was just over $1000 which leads me to believe most of the hardware is preinstalled.

thoughts?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Howdy!

I’m curious to see if anyone has considered adding the technology group after initial purchase. I’m mostly interested in the HUD. The option was just over $1000 which leads me to believe most of the hardware is preinstalled.

thoughts?
This is one group (HUD and digital rear view mirror) that you should definitely include with the truck build. It’s only an $1100 option, but to add it after the fact will cost you FAR more:
-HUD projector is about $800
-Windshield is about $900
-Dash that accepts the HUD module is about $1200
-The correct instrument cluster that the HUD module plugs into (if you don’t have the premium cluster) can’t even be purchased brand new, you have to get one out of a wrecked 21 truck, and run about $650
-The digital rear view mirror is $480
-The CHMSL with the camera for the mirror is $350
-Custom harness for the HUD module, since it probably isn’t there on your existing instrument panel harness.
Pretty much about the only thing your truck might already be set up for is the brackets on the dash sub structure might already be there to bolt the HUD module to.
It can definitely be done, though, and people have already added the digital rear view mirror after the fact.

OP
OP
J

John Chappell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
:( .... buzz kill!

Okay, what about the digital mirror? Is that essentially cost-prohibitive as well?

Also, seriously, thanks! That’s more information than I could have summoned up under the best of circumstances.

Also(x2), the truck in question is a 21’ 5.7 limited with Ltd level 1 and some other gadgets. My assumption that it prolly had everything is because - it literally seems to have everything! Good god, this thing is unreal! Everything (see sticker), that is, except the tech group.

I’m coming from a 17’ Ecoboost Transit 350 which was actually a stellar performer for a contractor, such as myself, but not in the same universe in terms of amenities. I actually miss the torque that thing made when I’m hauling my 19’ cargo trailer (<3k lbs). I’m looking at performance upgrades as well, torque especially.

If you’re wondering, I switched from van to truck n’ trailer to safely accommodate my two young daughters.

Side question: How reliable you think all these gadgets are going to be? I got 8yrs of mopar protection out of caution because I’ve also owned six Jeeps (2CJs, an XJ, a TJR, a 5.7 Ltd WK and a JKR). The older GCs had lots of electrical problems.

3FD3B9B6-DFDF-4B8A-96B4-F7F38958883A.jpeg

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have to ask, i am not familiar with the Technology Group.

Why the heck do you need a special rear view mirror to view anything through when you have the 12" radio or even the lesser 8.4" radio

I know in the past when people had the cheaper radios, 3" & 5 " radios, they had the rear view mirror to use as a monitor, because those radios did not have a monitor of their own.

I am just curious & that is why i am asking

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have to ask, i am not familiar with the Technology Group.

Why the heck do you need a special rear view mirror to view anything through when you have the 12" radio or even the lesser 8.4" radio

I know in the past when people had the cheaper radios, 3" & 5 " radios, they had the rear view mirror to use as a monitor, because those radios did not have a monitor of their own.

I am just curious & that is why i am asking
The idea of a digital rear view mirror is that it has it’s own camera in the third brake light (facing straight back, as opposed to a cargo camera that aims down into the bed). It mimics exactly what you normally see when you look in the rear view mirror. Since the camera is in the third brake light, if you have stuff in the back seat obstructing the view out of the rear window, the image displayed in the mirror will be clear as if nothing was blocking the view.