Add adaptive cruise. Lane assist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Campbell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi there. 2022. Laramie or limited
Can you add adaptive cruise afterwards and lane assist?
I’m sure it’s been talked about. Anybody have a link to that sections?

thanks in advance

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm going to say no, you can't add something like that after the fact. That kind of stuff is all integrated into the computer system and BCM programming.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hi there. 2022. Laramie or limited
Can you add adaptive cruise afterwards and lane assist?
I’m sure it’s been talked about. Anybody have a link to that sections?

thanks in advance
Absolutely, and it’s fairly simple.
There is a full writeup on how to do it on the 5thgenrams forum, and many people have successfully done it.
Basically, you need the right steering wheel switch, different ABS module and HCU, the radio screen bezel with the lane assist switch, and AlfaOBD.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Sounds expensive as hell lol……
Not really, especially for him since he has a Laramie or limited, which is already equipped with the main component for adaptive cruise/lane assist- the forward facing camera in front of the rear view mirror.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Adaptative cruise is pretty nice, but the lane assist is not all that special. Mine really is annoying, when it works.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Adaptative cruise is pretty nice, but the lane assist is not all that special. Mine really is annoying, when it works.
Most people that are adamant about adding lane assist along with adaptive cruise because they want to be set up for comma.ai

BNeal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree. The lane assist is a PIA and I never use it. But hey... that's just me.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I turn off lane assist and auto braking first thing. lane assist is annoying and auto braking on the first ram I had slammed on the brakes when I was in a stop and go traffic jam. didnt know what happened at first but found it and turned off. I dont text and drive so dont ever need adaptive cruise, just see slower moving folks up ahead and move over before I get to them.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I use them both. I really appreciate adaptive cruise, one of the big reasons I updated from my 18, and I've not been disappointed. Has nothing to do with inattentive driving.

Lane keep assist I use mostly on 4 lane highways/interstates. On our twisty 2 lane roads here in the Ozark Mts, I turn it off. A little too much like playing the old "Operation" game there.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Adaptive cruise control almost caused me to get in an accident in the LA area last year. The rental car had it and I didn't know - I had actually never heard of it - and while driving with cruise control on in fairly heavy traffic all of a sudden the car started slowing down. I told my wife something was wrong with the vehicle, and without hitting either the brake or the gas I started easing over into the next lane to the right in preparation for pulling onto the shoulder. As soon as I got into the next lane, the car all of a sudden immediately started accelerating again without me touching the gas. Took me by surprise and scared the hell out of me because I realized I wasn't actually in control of the car. I took the next exit and pulled into a gas station to think about it for a bit. Finally I decided it was something wrong with the cruise control, it wasn't my car, and I'll just not use cruise control for the rest of the trip. And I didn't. For the next three days I stayed away from CC and everything was fine. It wasn't until after we got home the following week that I mentioned it to someone and the told me what it was.

There is no time when I don't want complete control of the vehicle I'm driving. Cruise control, wipers, braking, headlights - I want everything under my control at every instant that I'm behind the wheel. You can keep that adaptive stuff. It isn't adapting to any part of the way I drive.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Adaptive cruise control almost caused me to get in an accident in the LA area last year. The rental car had it and I didn't know - I had actually never heard of it - and while driving with cruise control on in fairly heavy traffic all of a sudden the car started slowing down. I told my wife something was wrong with the vehicle, and without hitting either the brake or the gas I started easing over into the next lane to the right in preparation for pulling onto the shoulder. As soon as I got into the next lane, the car all of a sudden immediately started accelerating again without me touching the gas. Took me by surprise and scared the hell out of me because I realized I wasn't actually in control of the car. I took the next exit and pulled into a gas station to think about it for a bit. Finally I decided it was something wrong with the cruise control, it wasn't my car, and I'll just not use cruise control for the rest of the trip. And I didn't. For the next three days I stayed away from CC and everything was fine. It wasn't until after we got home the following week that I mentioned it to someone and the told me what it was.

There is no time when I don't want complete control of the vehicle I'm driving. Cruise control, wipers, braking, headlights - I want everything under my control at every instant that I'm behind the wheel. You can keep that adaptive stuff. It isn't adapting to any part of the way I drive.
You do have complete control of the car with adaptive cruise. The fact that you didn't know the rental had it or how to work it does not change that. All you have to do is step on the brake to cancel it. Glad it all turned out okay for you.

On the Ram system, you have the choice between normal CC and adaptive when you turn it on.

Last edited:

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You do have complete control of the car with adaptive cruise. The fact that you didn't know the rental had it or how to work it does not change that. All you have to do is step on the brake to cancel it. Glad it all turned out okay for you.

On the Ram system, you have the choice between normal CC and adaptive when you turn it on.
Of course, I did eventually step on the brake and it disengaged, but at the time I didn't know what it was. And my RAM doesn't have it because it was part of an option package I didn't choose. I still don't like it. You're trusting the vehicle to speed up and slow down for you rather than you making that decision. It's like a "self-driving" car. If I have to watch it to make sure it doesn't make a mistake, what good is it?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I turn off lane assist and auto braking first thing. lane assist is annoying and auto braking on the first ram I had slammed on the brakes when I was in a stop and go traffic jam. didnt know what happened at first but found it and turned off. I dont text and drive so dont ever need adaptive cruise, just see slower moving folks up ahead and move over before I get to them.
Agree, have lane assist and adaptive cruise/auto brake on the 2020 Jeep. Intentionally ordered the pickup without that stuff, even though it is a Laramie. Especially off road, auto brake is a pain in the butt, and I don't like lane assist, and I am not so in love with Adaptive Cruise to put up with the other two. They come as a package and you can't get one without the other.

The one thing I have on the Jeep that I really miss on the pickup is blind spot and cross path detection, they weren't available due to chip shortages when I ordered. If I was going to add something, that would be the one.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Of course, I did eventually step on the brake and it disengaged, but at the time I didn't know what it was. And my RAM doesn't have it because it was part of an option package I didn't choose. I still don't like it. You're trusting the vehicle to speed up and slow down for you rather than you making that decision. It's like a "self-driving" car. If I have to watch it to make sure it doesn't make a mistake, what good is it?
You act like you can stop paying attention to the road with it. You still need to be alert while driving. But the adaptive cruise has been around a while now. We have it on our 16 Toyota, works great. Seems pretty solid to me. But not everyone is going to like each new tech gadget. At least with the Ram, you have the choice to use it or the regular CC. We don't have that choice on our Toyota.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
At least with the Ram, you have the choice to use it or the regular CC. We don't have that choice on our Toyota.
Sure you do, you just don’t have a separate button for it like the Ram does. For Toyota, you would set the adaptive cruise, then press and hold the cruise control button for 2 seconds.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Sure you do, you just don’t have a separate button for it like the Ram does. For Toyota, you would set the adaptive cruise, then press and hold the cruise control button for 2 seconds.
True, my 2006Lexus 430 toggled between adaptive and regular the same way. Even shows on the EVIC which type of cruise you are using.

Adaptive cruise has been around a VERY long time. It is however, like others have said, not self driving by any means. Makes being on cruise in traffic a lot easier but you still need to be paying full attention.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You act like you can stop paying attention to the road with it. You still need to be alert while driving. But the adaptive cruise has been around a while now. We have it on our 16 Toyota, works great. Seems pretty solid to me. But not everyone is going to like each new tech gadget. At least with the Ram, you have the choice to use it or the regular CC. We don't have that choice on our Toyota.
No, that's not my meaning. And I don't have a choice with my RAM because I purposely ordered my truck without it. Just regular old cruise control.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My son recently rented a car in Scotland. He said that the lane keep assist almost killed them at leas 50 times in the 2 weeks and 3000 miles or so they drove it. It could not be turned off! And he is a very good driver - trained as a police officer to drive a car.

It seems that the biggest problem was related to many of the roads there to be 1.5 lanes, with no painted enter line. BUT the car would detect a paving line as being a lane line and trying to force them off the road where there was a drop-off and no guardrail.