Add Auto start/stop aftermarket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hopeless Turtle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know this is an unpopular opinion but I wouldn’t mind have auto start stop. Unfortunately my truck didn’t come with it. Is there Some combination of parts that could be installed to bring such a feature to my truck?

2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Limited

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Is there Some combination of parts that could be installed to bring such a feature to my truck?
Find a Ram 1500 with the eTorque engine and do a body swap with your truck.
There way too many parts, modules and wiring that would need to be added. Even the transmission is setup/programmed different for the Start/Stop.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I know this is an unpopular opinion but I wouldn’t mind have auto start stop. Unfortunately my truck didn’t come with it. Is there Some combination of parts that could be installed to bring such a feature to my truck?

First WELCOME to the group !

My guess is probably not !
The truck would have to be flashed at dealer $$$
Coast of kit if made big $$$$$
And if you did find a kit it would take years to recover fuel savings if any !
I also think it would add wear and tear on the starter !

I am NO gear head but just should like a pain to do !

Just my thoughts !

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
did they even have that feature in 2014..
no, it was an option with the eTorque versions of the Hemi and Pentastar motors starting with the Gen5 body trucks.

Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

It may not be a popular choice but, your ride, your call. :cool:

Just out of curiosity, why would you like this option on your truck?

And, welcome.gifto Ram Forum.

OP
OP
H

Hopeless Turtle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, when observing the average MPG reading over time, I noticed it really dives when stopped at a light. Otherwise the truck isn't that bad on gas. Now I know that reading is far from perfect but if there was a way to add that option that wasn't prohibitively expensive I wouldn't mind doing so.

Considering the responses I've received, this is likely where my investigation ends.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm new to Ram ownership as well. Also, I saw that Ford comment earlier. I learned to drive in an F-150 and have owned a few Fords since. I'll pass, I'm quite happy with Ram.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, when observing the average MPG reading over time, I noticed it really dives when stopped at a light. Otherwise the truck isn't that bad on gas. Now I know that reading is far from perfect but if there was a way to add that option that wasn't prohibitively expensive I wouldn't mind doing so.

Considering the responses I've received, this is likely where my investigation ends.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm new to Ram ownership as well. Also, I saw that Ford comment earlier. I learned to drive in an F-150 and have owned a few Fords since. I'll pass, I'm quite happy with Ram.

Ya, a buddy drives F150s and asked me why I didn't want one. That would be a hard NO and pass, just like you. :cool:

I believe it shouldn't be too difficult to find real test results from users as to how much improvement you might expect in mpg.

AFAIK, the improvement is more related to manufacturers' EPA testing and nothing too realistic in the real world.

What is real though, is the added wear & tear on batteries & starting systems. And, my Ford buddy absolutely hates that feature on his truck and tries to remember to disable it after every start.

Maybe, if your brain is still sharp enough, you can incorporate a subroutine where you automatically start your vehicle even during 'O $hit moments' where you need to instantly vacate the area. I'm not convinced the potential minuscule mpg savings is worth the risk, for me and my truck at least.

YMMV :cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hopeless Turtle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is an interesting thread. I've accepted auto start stop may not be the most effective approach to efficiency. I'm exploring another project that could have a significant impact on drag reduction, potentially 30 percent. I'll start a new thread if that gets any traction.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is an interesting thread. I've accepted auto start stop may not be the most effective approach to efficiency. I'm exploring another project that could have a significant impact on drag reduction, potentially 30 percent. I'll start a new thread if that gets any traction.

Please share anything interesting you discover. :cool:

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
no, it was an option on the eTorque versions of the Hemi and Pentastar motors starting with the Gen5 body trucks.
To be more precise, it's not an option with those engines. You have stop/start with both etorque engines. There is no option to not get stop/start with an etorque engine.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Prius .

OP
OP
H

Hopeless Turtle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a Prius before my Ram although it carried a Lexus badge, I won't be going back but there might be some inspiration to be drawn.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
To be more precise, it's not an option with those engines. You have stop/start with both etorque engines. There is no option to not get stop/start with an etorque engine.
ya, it sounded good when I typed it but went back and makes more sense,
thanks for the catch

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Would love to see that info!
If you can reduce drag 30% that would be great