Add humidity sensor to a Laramie? What?...But why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cobra514

Reaction score
Ram Year
Here's an odd one for those more smart than me to chime in on...

I have a 2014 1500 Laramie that originally was configured with a humidity sensor.

The previous cheapskate owner took a rock to the windshield and had it replaced with OE glass (but sans the rain sensor frit circle removal and the humidity sensor bracket). He lived in AZ so I suppose I can't fault him too much. I see the headliner hole where a cable used to come out. Seems the glass company tucked the connector back up in there. I checked with AlphaOBD and the vehicle is indeed configured for a sensor (and I'm getting a BCM error of course because it can't detect one).

I live in MI and I'd really like that humidity sensor. Well, rain sensor as well, but that will be a serious hack-job to kludge one in it appears.

So four questions:

1) Can I simply glue a humidity sensor bracket up on the glass to host a stock humidity sensor (which appears to come with clips)?

2) Is there a way to acquire a bracket? Is there a P/N for it? Or am I out of luck since it is normally supplied with the glass?

3) Is it true that the default state of the compressor is "ON" and that without the sensor it runs all the time??? I read that elsewhere on these forums. That seems quite stupid. Why would there be a front defrost switch if that is the case?

4) If nothing else, can somebody PLEASE post a picture for me of a close-up of the humidity sensor bracket on the glass without the sensor already installed? I am pretty good DIYer I suppose - and I'm certain I could fabricate something if I only knew what it looked like.

Thanks for any assistance on this.

-Tim

OP
OP
C

Cobra514

Reaction score
Ram Year
Nevermind. Problem solved. I was able to purchase the mounting bracket (and cover) and glue it up. Looks like stock. Works like new. Even though I have the windshield sans mount.