added brake controller. Does not disengage cruise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lAWROSA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I installed factory brake controller. Cruising on highway I hit trailer brake manual slider. Cruise never went off.

Had dealer flash after I installed.

What you all think?

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
So I installed factory brake controller. Cruising on highway I hit trailer brake manual slider. Cruise never went off.

What you all think?
If the trailer brake is applied manually, cruise control should disengage, that is what the owners' manual calls out. You can make this test to prove the trailer brake controller is integrated with the vehicle's electronics. When applying the trailer brake manually, your brake lights should illuminate.

OP
OP
lAWROSA

lAWROSA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If the trailer brake is applied manually, cruise control should disengage, that is what the owners' manual calls out. You can make this test to prove the trailer brake controller is integrated with the vehicle's electronics. When applying the trailer brake manually, your brake lights should illuminate.
Yes tested today. Hooked up 7 pin and had son look at brake lights. They go on when slider is applied.

I through some electrical lube in 7 pin. I will test again when I move trailer to back yard..

I guess ill read manual but I briefed through in and didnt see nothing that says cruise does not disengage. Maybe its new technology to prevent a crash with crazy trailer sway??? IDK

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I guess ill read manual but I briefed through in and didnt see nothing that says cruise does not disengage. Maybe its new technology to prevent a crash with crazy trailer sway??? IDK
In my owners' manual, 2022 1500, it is discussed in the "Cruise Control" section. Here is what will cancel CC;

The following conditions cancel the ACC or Fixed Speed Cruise Control systems:
 The brake pedal is applied
 The CANC (cancel) button is pushed
 The Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) activates
 The trailer brake is applied manually (if equipped)
 The gear selector is removed from the DRIVE position
 The Electronic Stability Control/Traction Control System (ESC/TCS) activates
 The vehicle parking brake is applied
 The Trailer Sway Control (TSC) activates
 The driver switches ESC to Full Off mode
 The braking temperature exceeds normal range

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
as it reads above, any time the brakes are applied, the cruise is disabled, but the cruise is still ready to be reset

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
This only works if there is a trailer with brakes detected. If there isn't, then pushing the slider doesn't do anything. I've tried, at least on my 2017.

I do miss the days of the stand-alone TBC...I could push the slider, the brake lights would come on (without a trailer), but cruise wouldn't shut off...made SEVERAL tailgaters slam on their brakes when they thought I was coming to a stop.

Earl Zeis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L

What you all think?
Did you have a trailer on that has brakes? Otherwise no. System knows if there is a trailer attached with brakes or not. Otherwise it does nothing.

Earl

OP
OP
lAWROSA

lAWROSA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did you have a trailer on that has brakes? Otherwise no. System knows if there is a trailer attached with brakes or not. Otherwise it does nothing.

Earl
Yes. Towing my 24 ft RV. Trailer brakes yes. I installed factory brake controller and had dodge flash the ECM. So I guess I go back to dodge...

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Yes. Towing my 24 ft RV. Trailer brakes yes. I installed factory brake controller and had dodge flash the ECM. So I guess I go back to dodge...

Did you get the right version of the TBC for your truck? Like did you order it online, or did you buy it from your dealer? Did you check with the dealer for the correct part number before purchasing online?

I have read that the TBC for older trucks (I want to say 2015/16 and older) FITS in the newer trucks, but even when flashed will not work properly. You've got to have the right TBC or it will not work.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Tested mine over the weekend. There was no trailer connected. 2018. It does not disable the cruise. Unlike another posters info mine does not call it out in the owners manual either. Perhaps it's year releated?

1645459690043.png

OP
OP
lAWROSA

lAWROSA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did you get the right version of the TBC for your truck? Like did you order it online, or did you buy it from your dealer? Did you check with the dealer for the correct part number before purchasing online?

I have read that the TBC for older trucks (I want to say 2015/16 and older) FITS in the newer trucks, but even when flashed will not work properly. You've got to have the right TBC or it will not work.
I got it from infotainment on line.

Factory. Drop down menu let’s you pick 2020 year truck

https://www.infotainment.com/produc...ntegrated-electronic-trailer-brake-controller

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I got it from infotainment on line.

Factory. Drop down menu let’s you pick 2020 year truck

https://www.infotainment.com/produc...ntegrated-electronic-trailer-brake-controller

I am not sure I'd trust the site myself, but that's my personal opinion. Especially since the graphic that shows up in your post says 2013-2018, and the link shows 2013-2019. It may let you SELECT 2020 for your truck, but unless you cross-referenced the part number and wiring/part schematic with the correct OEM component, it is entirely plausible that you were sent the INCORRECT part for your truck, and that is causing it to not function properly.

Like I said, I know there was a break where the component switched, but they will physically fit and plug in. I don't know what year it was, I don't know what was different between them, I just know it is the case. I would cross-reference the part number of what you have installed with what the dealer says you should have gotten.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am not sure I'd trust the site myself, but that's my personal opinion. Especially since the graphic that shows up in your post says 2013-2018, and the link shows 2013-2019. It may let you SELECT 2020 for your truck, but unless you cross-referenced the part number and wiring/part schematic with the correct OEM component, it is entirely plausible that you were sent the INCORRECT part for your truck, and that is causing it to not function properly.

Like I said, I know there was a break where the component switched, but they will physically fit and plug in. I don't know what year it was, I don't know what was different between them, I just know it is the case. I would cross-reference the part number of what you have installed with what the dealer says you should have gotten.
Infotainment does have a pretty good rep for helping out RAM (And probably dodge) guys with issues. They are considered to be a little pricy, but from what I have heard, they have a good rep.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
There is actually 3 different trailer brake modules for the + '13 Gen4 trucks. There is one for the '13-'14 models, '15 models and a third for the '16 and later trucks included the Classic versions.

Infotainment does have a pretty good rep for helping out RAM (And probably dodge) guys with issues. They are considered to be a little pricy, but from what I have heard, they have a good rep.
there's members on this forum that will disagree with you about that statement after the said company basically screwed them over on mods for their trucks. It was other members on this forum that resolved the issues and the "fix" was "borrowed" by that said company.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is actually 3 different trailer brake modules for the + '13 Gen4 trucks. There is one for the '13-'14 models, '15 models and a third for the '16 and later trucks included the Classic versions.

there's members on this forum that will disagree with you about that statement after the said company basically screwed them over on mods for their trucks. It was other members on this forum that resolved the issues and the "fix" was "borrowed" by that said company.
Not surprised to learn they did that. I would almost be curious to learn what kind of percentage is good, what is bad from Infotainment. IE you usually only hear the bad, but I've seen a lot of recommendations too. So is it majority bad, majority good, and also it is like they are good at "this", but suck at "that" kinda thing.