Adding an app to Uconnect

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HooLeeO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just bought a 2021 Bighorn Sport. I use the Nav option often, but this vehicle doesn't have it. I don't want to connect my phone everytime I want to use Nav. Is there an easy way to get it on the truck? My 2017 Jeep had it, you would think the truck would have it also. Thanks for the help!

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Nope, you cannot add Nav to that radio. They are not "upgradable" like the older units were. It's either Nav or Non-Nav

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Get a wireless Apple Carplay adapter, no need to plug in after that. Works fantastic!

Last edited by a moderator:

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
I just leave my iPhone 7 non wireless plugged in permanently. I prefer google maps or Apple Maps over the Ram set up anyway. I have a really hard time plugging in addresses!
I also (don’t laugh here or scoff) have a hard time with my very very London UK accent as the silly woman who lives in my dash does NOT understand me, however much I swear at her, so I can’t do it the quick way and dictate address.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just leave my iPhone 7 non wireless plugged in permanently. I prefer google maps or Apple Maps over the Ram set up anyway. I have a really hard time plugging in addresses!
I also (don’t laugh here or scoff) have a hard time with my very very London UK accent as the silly woman who lives in my dash does NOT understand me, however much I swear at her, so I can’t do it the quick way and dictate address.
I have an old Samsung that I used and do the same. I use SYGIC which is compatible with uconnect and android auto

Last edited:

dickscrr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just bought a 2021 Bighorn Sport. I use the Nav option often, but this vehicle doesn't have it. I don't want to connect my phone everytime I want to use Nav. Is there an easy way to get it on the truck? My 2017 Jeep had it, you would think the truck would have it also. Thanks for the help!
I understand your frustration with the radios in the current Rams. According to a Ram representative about 3 years ago Ram changed to Panasonic radios and they are basically a POS. For the price you would think that today these vehicles would at least have the current technology let alone technology that is several years old. Navigation and being able to text without having to wire your phone to the radio is not exactly ground breaking features. Both have been around for sometime.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Navigation and being able to text without having to wire your phone to the radio is not exactly ground breaking features. Both have been around for sometime.
Wireless Android Auto and CarPlay in vehicles is just now becoming more widespread.
There is wireless adapters for both(AA/CP) that plug into the USB, I have the AAWireless plugged into UAQ radio that works great.
UConnect 5 is supposed to starting with the '22 model year Ram trucks, it will support wireless AA/CP without an additional adapter.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, there is a few devices advertised for like $110.00 more or less that U plug into yer USB, then link with yer phone to run all functions off of phone. If I was using my truck a lot to travel and whatever, I would use instead of plugging in cable. MTNRIDER correct, it all depends upon what radio U have in dash. There are like 4 different types, with a lot of the Bighorns (I have a MY 19) having a U Connect 4 radio only, plain jane, No NAV/GUARDIAN/911 STUFF, ALSO no OTA upgrades/updates, dealer only. U can also get a plain jane but HD radio, Radio with NAV, Radio with NAV/GUARDIAN, etc. Just kinda depends either how U order or what was on build. I do not need my truck to call 911, or use the outdated (IMHO) RAM/FCA Nav, so I use my I Phone for Maps, or Google Maps or Waze depending upon where going. I even wired in a Bluetooth capability into my speakers and can set I Phone to run on my Motorcycle ref sound.
But again, back to the OP and this thread, all depends upon wat Radio in truck.

In MY 19, there were 4 radios possible: U Connect 3, Uconnect 4/4C/4C NAV. I read there is a U Connect 5 out, not sure if in the 21's or the 22. SInce I have a MY 19, did not interest me.