Adding back up cam app to 8.4 uaq

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CLowell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If anyone that does not have the back up camera icon in there apps on your 8.4 uaq this may help. It all started when I installed the Mopar OEM back up camera on my2016 Ram 2500 SLT with the RA2 radio.I performed the install per instructions, took it to the dealer to have the back up camera sales code applied (sorry can’t remember the code). Then a year later decided to upgrade to the 8.4 uaq and single zone ATC with the help of @Mpgrimm2 and Alphaobd. Everything went smoothly. After some time I noticed not having the back up camera icon in my apps to turn on manually when at low speed or any other time it would only come on when the truck was put in reverse. I checked all the normal Alphaobd settings to ensure everything was enabled that should be and still no icon. So I started looking and found this in alpha.
Also figured out the CSM options and radio & connectivity options were only available in MY2016-17 and NOT in MY 2013-17 so if you can’t find it you may have to search in other options that pertain to your year other than the one your into enable.

hope this helps

1CA41828-0B74-4620-BCA6-177BA2CA9C0C.jpeg

0D135579-3B82-4532-B0FE-302FFF3945E6.jpeg

DBBBB874-71E4-46B3-8129-4283400CCEE5.jpeg

3F6E190D-8047-4F97-A40E-8C179CD04EED.jpeg

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L

PdPuNOme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am dealing with this same issue on a 2015 and been posting in another thread. I have everything set properly, but was missing this trailer hitch setting which was in my2015, turned it on and still no change. Trying everything here as I had the icon app when I had the ra4 8.4 nav but now with the UAQ it is not appearing.

jhiggins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I'm investigating this problem and a related similar problem. I have a 2014 2500 that I just upgraded with the UAQ radio. I bought the radio new from Mopar (68331631AM). The radio I replaced in the truck was the factory 8.4" uconnect (68224531AH). I also cannot get the icon for the backup camera to display. When connecting in AlphaOBD, I don't have the option to connect to the MY2016-2017 Body Computer. It doesn't matter which option I try to select, it will only find the MY2014+ Body Computer so I don't ever get the option to see the "Radio & Connectivity: Trailer Hitch Camera Present" option. The only camera related options I have available in Alpha are these:
IMG_4395.jpg
I have all the relevant options selected as YES.

Possibly related to this issue is I no longer have the icons to switch between the tailgate camera and the cargo view camera. I had these icons available with the old radio so I could switch between the cameras either when reverse had triggered pulling up the video screen or I had manually pulled up the video screen by selecting the Cargo Cam icon from the apps list. When in reverse, I can't exit out of the tailgate camera and since I don't have the icon to switch to the cargo camera, this means I can't access the cargo camera when in reverse hitching up to a 5th wheel. Is my problem that the BCM is just too old to interface properly with the newer radio?

Athlium

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
I'm investigating this problem and a related similar problem. I have a 2014 2500 that I just upgraded with the UAQ radio. I bought the radio new from Mopar (68331631AM). The radio I replaced in the truck was the factory 8.4" uconnect (68224531AH). I also cannot get the icon for the backup camera to display. When connecting in AlphaOBD, I don't have the option to connect to the MY2016-2017 Body Computer. It doesn't matter which option I try to select, it will only find the MY2014+ Body Computer so I don't ever get the option to see the "Radio & Connectivity: Trailer Hitch Camera Present" option. The only camera related options I have available in Alpha are these:
View attachment 485551
I have all the relevant options selected as YES.

Possibly related to this issue is I no longer have the icons to switch between the tailgate camera and the cargo view camera. I had these icons available with the old radio so I could switch between the cameras either when reverse had triggered pulling up the video screen or I had manually pulled up the video screen by selecting the Cargo Cam icon from the apps list. When in reverse, I can't exit out of the tailgate camera and since I don't have the icon to switch to the cargo camera, this means I can't access the cargo camera when in reverse hitching up to a 5th wheel. Is my problem that the BCM is just too old to interface properly with the newer radio?
according to here... it isn't available until 2016+

jhiggins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
This question may be answered elsewhere on the forum, but I've searched for a while and can't find the answer. Is there a way to update the BCM so that some of the newer options are available? If there is a way to flash an update, that would be great, but I haven't found any information on how to do that on the internet. The other option would be replacing the BCM with one from a later model year. Has anyone done this?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
This question may be answered elsewhere on the forum, but I've searched for a while and can't find the answer. Is there a way to update the BCM so that some of the newer options are available? If there is a way to flash an update, that would be great, but I haven't found any information on how to do that on the internet. The other option would be replacing the BCM with one from a later model year. Has anyone done this?
... @Jimmy07

Gordo2212

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
Does it take a little bit for it to show up? I switched this feature on this afternoon when I installed my power fold tow mirrors and looked shortly after and saw nothing on my radio. Is it just UAQ? I have a UAS unit.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Does it take a little bit for it to show up? I switched this feature on this afternoon when I installed my power fold tow mirrors and looked shortly after and saw nothing on my radio. Is it just UAQ? I have a UAS unit.

After making any changes that impact radio options/features on the newer Panasonic UAx 4c radios ...

(Battery disconnect or pulling the 20A inline radio fuse near the brake booster or Pass firewall ... between these changes is required (Fuse pull recommended) and can speed up the radio/BCM reset for changes, especially with a UAQ/UAS radio (think 15-30mins or longer... Some can take a day or two).

* Radio is not reset until SXM button displays again and/or Backup Cam works if installed)

PS: as indicated previously, 13-15 BCMs don't support turning the camera on while in motion and factory 13-15 8.4 radios don't generally have the BuCam button displayed because it only comes on while in reverse. Only 1 earlier radio SW version (17.11.x) fully supported both BuCam and Cargo at the same time on the 13-15 radios and was the only way to get the BuCam button to show up (w/Cargo Cam enabled). There are a few 13-15;radios that survived later SW updates and kept both enabled. 16+ radios support both cameras/buttons but may be limited by earlier 13-15 BCMs.
** Try enabling both Cargo & BuCam (even if not installed), pull the fuse and wait for the reset to finish**. May get the buttons that way.... Some UAx radios don't always seem to want to display enabled csm features, on the screen.

Last edited:

Gordo2212

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
After making any changes that impact radio options/features on the newer Panasonic UAx 4c radios ...

(Battery disconnect or pulling the 20A inline radio fuse near the brake booster or Pass firewall ... between these changes is required (Fuse pull recommended) and can speed up the radio/BCM reset for changes, especially with a UAQ/UAS radio (think 15-30mins or longer... Some can take a day or two).

* Radio is not reset until SXM button displays again and/or Backup Cam works if installed)
Oh yeah I forgot about that, thanks @Mpgrimm2

jhiggins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
So I had messed around with the BCM settings before I changed out the original radio with the UAQ. I never had the icon to view the tailgate camera on command but I did have the icon to view the cargo camera. I don't have the cargo camera installed yet, so I would just get a blank screen but that screen would also bring up the icons so I could switch back and forth between viewing the cargo camera or the tailgate camera. These are the screens I got with the original radio:

IMG_4391.jpgIMG_4392.jpg

I can confirm that I could pull up both of these screens while driving, though the tailgate camera would go blank once I got over ~10mph.

These are the system information numbers for the original radio:

IMG_4393.jpgIMG_4394.jpg

After I put the UAQ in, I no longer get the icons to switch between the tailgate and cargo cameras when either the cargo camera is pulled up by tapping on the icon or the tailgate camera is pulled up by shifting in reverse. Functionally this means I have no way of accessing the cargo camera when I'm in reverse, so I won't be able to use it to back up to a fifth wheel and I can no longer look at my tailgate camera when driving slowly in drive.

IMG_4387.jpgIMG_4388.jpg

Last edited:

Athlium

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
So I had messed around with the BCM settings before I changed out the original radio with the UAQ. I never had the icon to view the tailgate camera on command but I did have the icon to view the cargo camera. I don't have the cargo camera installed yet, so I would just get a blank screen but that screen would also bring up the icons so I could switch back and forth between viewing the cargo camera or the tailgate camera. These are the screens I got with the original radio:

View attachment 485686View attachment 485685

I can confirm that I could pull up both of these screens while driving, though the tailgate camera would go blank once I got over ~10mph.

These are the system information numbers for the original radio:

View attachment 485687View attachment 485688

After I put the UAQ in, I no longer get the icons to switch between the tailgate and cargo cameras when either the cargo camera is pulled up by tapping on the icon or the tailgate camera is pulled up by shifting in reverse. Functionally this means I have no way of accessing the cargo camera when I'm in reverse, so I won't be able to use it to back up to a fifth wheel and I can no longer look at my tailgate camera when driving slowly in drive.

View attachment 485689View attachment 485690
curious.. did you pull fuse/ disconnect battery before swap?

jhiggins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
No, I did not pull the fuse/battery before swapping out the original radio with the UAQ. After installing the UAQ, I did do both a couple times. Do you think I would have gotten a different result if I had pulled power before the swap?

Yogee2020

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
Do u pull the fuse after every setting switch when u install the new UAQ radio

Athlium

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
No, I did not pull the fuse/battery before swapping out the original radio with the UAQ. After installing the UAQ, I did do both a couple times. Do you think I would have gotten a different result if I had pulled power before the swap?
From reading the 8.4 upgrade thread, I pulled power before the swap and then let it stay disconnected for at least an hour before reconnecting. Also, with the new unit in, I waited overnight to validate the necessory changes as your body computer need to learn/transfer stuff to the new radio.

It wouldn't hurt anything to try other than having to re-set date/time on the UAQ.

PdPuNOme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For me in order to get the icons to appear after applying all the correct alfaobd settings it ultimately took updating the uaq software to the latest.

Athlium

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
For me in order to get the icons to appear after applying all the correct alfaobd settings it ultimately took updating the uaq software to the latest.
I had a hard time reading this.. do you mean you updated the UAQ unit's firmware/ application version?