Adding Bed Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

b-real

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Has anyone added OEM bed lights? I am looking at a Laramie that has everything I want except bed lights and power running boards. I know I can add the power running boards pretty easily after purchase, but what about OEM bed lights? Is it as simple as buying some and wiring them up? Are the connectors already there on the wiring harness?

mlrtimemach

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Tradesman 4X4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've been wonderin the same.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
I've been wonderin the same.

Had the dealer add them as part of the deal. I watched a YouTube video about it before deciding I’d have the dealer install them. I did pay for the labor but not the parts and It was worth paying the dealer the labor. The fixtures are easy. It’s fishing the harness back to the cab that’s a challenge. They plug into the fuse box under the dash and, since the kit comes with the factory harness, the route you have to follow with it is predetermined. The harness runs along the driver’s side frame. If you have them, the wheel well liners have to come out, the in floor storage box has to come out and you have to fish the harness up the firewall to enter the cab at the right location. I’m glad I added them. I’d do it again. But I’d never tackle a self install project.

mlrtimemach

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Tradesman 4X4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Had the dealer add them as part of the deal. I watched a YouTube video about it before deciding I’d have the dealer install them. I did pay for the labor but not the parts and It was worth paying the dealer the labor. The fixtures are easy. It’s fishing the harness back to the cab that’s a challenge. They plug into the fuse box under the dash and, since the kit comes with the factory harness, the route you have to follow with it is predetermined. The harness runs along the driver’s side frame. If you have them, the wheel well liners have to come out, the in floor storage box has to come out and you have to fish the harness up the firewall to enter the cab at the right location. I’m glad I added them. I’d do it again. But I’d never tackle a self install project.
Guess it's off to you tube to see this. Curious about the switch for them.

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I factory ordered them with my truck and they are fantastic. Worth every penny. So if you can make it happen you will be a happy camper.

Red

OP
OP
b-real

b-real

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Found the video that I think was referenced, and while a fair amount of work to run the wiring harness, and if you are comfortable with basic wiring do the pinning should be easy (wish they would have shown that in the video), but I was disappointed that you have to have the dealer enable the lights to be turned on even via the switch. Probably a $100 charge for them to spend 10 mins. with a laptop hooked up. Looks like the part is Mopar 82215272AB and around $150.

Outbreak

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I installed them on my 2017 2500 Laramie and it took about 10 minutes. The wiring was already there.

Quint

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7L v8 eTorque
I just bought a 2021 Bighorn that I'll pick up this week. I traded in my 2015 Bighorn. On that one, I tapped into the constant power running under the rear bumper. I ran wire up to one of the holes in the side of the bed, inserted a low-profile rocker switch and affixed cheap red LED light strips on both sides of the bed. It worked great for the six years that I've owned it. I liked the red lights because they didn't kill my night vision, and I could still easily see everything in my bed. It didn't call out attention to strangers about what may be in my truck bed either.

I'll probably go this route again since it doesn't require a technician, a programming update, or running wire through the firewall and cab.

Outbreak

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
No. The wiring was tucked up in the corner.