Adding brake controller 15 express

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GatheredEarth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m sure it’s in here somewhere but I don’t know where to start. I have the seven pin trailer brake adapter but not the factory controller in the cab. Can I buy the factory controller and have the dealer flash my computer to recognize it or can I just do a regular aftermarket controller and splice it in to my seven pin?

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
You can get the factory one and have it flashed like you said or get a aftermarket one and just plug it in, there is a plug under the dash so its easy.

OP
OP
GatheredEarth

GatheredEarth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can get the factory one and have it flashed like you said or get a aftermarket one and just plug it in, there is a plug under the dash so its easy.
If I buy an aftermarket one it doesn’t have to be flashed?

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Nope it will notneed flashed, I put one in my truck, bought the controller and the plug for the correct year truck and simply bolted it in and plugged it and and was done.

barbosa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I buy an aftermarket one it doesn’t have to be flashed?
I bought and installed the Tekonsha P3 and adapter harness for RAM trucks from etrailers and it was plug and play and works great. I wanted to get it in ASAP as I tow basically 6 days a week with the truck and had just picked up a new 26' long double axle trailer, so I wasn't able to mount it in the best location for the time being, but that is my own fault.

The functionality is great, but I have never used the factory controller to compare.

OP
OP
GatheredEarth

GatheredEarth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What has the dealership been charging to flash your computer? I think I’m just going with the factory controller

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Prodigy brake controllers are great, but in my opinion they don't compare to the OEM unit. The smoothest performance I've ever experienced in 20 years of towing.

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
What nobody has mentioned is to check under the dash for TWO brake connectors. I think they are orange and grey... If you don't have BOTH connectors, the Mopar factory brake controller will not work and I'm not sure if the after-market controllers will either.

One of the connectors goes to the trailer connector on the rear bumper, the other connector goes off into the mystical maze of wiring to the brain of the truck. I forget which connector is always there and the other is an option. Anyone??

OP
OP
GatheredEarth

GatheredEarth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What nobody has mentioned is to check under the dash for TWO brake connectors. I think they are orange and grey... If you don't have BOTH connectors, the Mopar factory brake controller will not work and I'm not sure if the after-market controllers will either.

One of the connectors goes to the trailer connector on the rear bumper, the other connector goes off into the mystical maze of wiring to the brain of the truck. I forget which connector is always there and the other is an option. Anyone??
Same thing the dealer told me. Luckily I have both connectors.

ramhornet15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
here is the kicker. you can install a factory brake controller by yourself, which I did, and it will control your trailer brakes. you just cant see the output on the dash. so if you can't get to the dealer to flash it, the good news is that it will still work.

OP
OP
GatheredEarth

GatheredEarth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
here is the kicker. you can install a factory brake controller by yourself, which I did, and it will control your trailer brakes. you just cant see the output on the dash. so if you can't get to the dealer to flash it, the good news is that it will still work.
Good to know thanks!

Trail Ryder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anybody have a Ram dealer provide and install the Mopar Integrated Trailer Brake Controller on a Ram 1500? And how much did it cost? Thanks.

400 psi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was quoted around $500 labor only. she said it was for four hours labor

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed the controller myself and paid $80 to get it flashed. Install does not take 4 hours! that's insane. It took me maybe an hour or so.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are a bunch of videos on youtube. The express is simpler as you don't have the center console to remove like in the bighorn and higher models.

Sir Ram-It

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I installed the controller myself and paid $80 to get it flashed. Install does not take 4 hours! that's insane. It took me maybe an hour or so.

Sounds about right. Even with having to disassemble my center console it didn’t take long to install.