How to: Add Dual Zone ATC to a Tradesman

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sunday, HVAC box installation continues. I had to wire the connectors as describe by @STecoD and connect the actuator.View attachment 177174View attachment 177173 It would have been better if I had drained the coolant rather than pinch the hoses it was just a matter of clean up.

Reversed the order of things and installed the box and panel. Actuator movement tested successfully. I will recharge the A/C system later today and fully test the system.View attachment 177175
Glad you got it all done. I'm also glad someone else gave it a try because it's really not that difficult. Both of our boxes had a small crack on the front mounting tab because of the way they are packed. I used JB plastic weld on mine and it worked fine to fix it. Where mine was cracked really wasn't an important mounting point and neither was #STecoD's. If I'm looking at the picture of yours correctly it looks like yours had s much larger crack than ours did.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Do you still only use your one temp sensor on the drivers side knee panel? Cause how does it actually determine the temp on the passenger side if there is no temp sensor on the passenger side or am I missing something?
I'm taking an educated guess on how the dual zone temp control works. The sensor controls the fan speed based on deviation from either "zone set point". The individual blend doors are basically set off a scaling of known temperatures of the evaporator, heater core, outside air, etc.
The other temperature sensor that Ricks Ram is referring to is the evaporator temperature sensor, that is primarily for controlling the AC system itself.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm taking an educated guess on how the dual zone temp control works. The sensor controls the fan speed based on deviation from either "zone set point". The individual blend doors are basically set off a scaling of known temperatures of the evaporator, heater core, outside air, etc.
The other temperature sensor that Ricks Ram is referring to is the evaporator temperature sensor, that is primarily for controlling the AC system itself.
Exactly. The system doesn't actually measure the passenger side temperature. It adjusts temp on the driver and passenger side with the blend doors by moving the doors a certain amount to adjust the temperature variance between the two sides. The factory Dual Zone ATC also uses a different Light Sensor in the dash. It is also a Sun Sensor that the system also uses to adjust the temp. If you install the Single or Dual Zone ATC you will most likely have DTC codes for the sun sensor unless you change it. I changed mine and the codes went away. The regular light sensor has two pins and the ATC style light sensor has 4 pins. My truck and @STecoD's truck both already had the correct wiring. It was a simple plug and play. I really didn't notice much difference in the way it works but figured I would change it because the truck was looking for it.

Last edited:

Remen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
Glad you got it all done. I'm also glad someone else gave it a try because it's really not that difficult. Both of our boxes had a small crack on the front mounting tab because of the way they are packed. I used JB plastic weld on mine and it worked fine to fix it. Where mine was cracked really wasn't an important mounting point and neither was #STecoD's. If I'm looking at the picture of yours correctly it looks like yours had s much larger crack than ours did.

So happy to finish the install and look forward to a comfortable temperature regardless of which side I’m occupying. I thought about attempting a repair but chose not to since the crack extended to the mounting point.

Last edited:

Remen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
Recharged the A/C and tested the system on the return drive roughly 30 miles from home. Everything seems to work as expected although maybe the actuator is a bit slow to respond but will improve in time. Maybe StecoD or Ricks Ram can confirm this thought.

Last edited:

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Recharged the A/C and tested the system on the return drive roughly 30 miles from home. Everything seems to work as expected although maybe the actuator is a bit slow to respond but will improve in time. Maybe StecoD or Ricks Ram can confirm this thought.
Did you use the Mopar part# I listed for the new blend door motor? Mine was very sporadic until I replaced the Doorman replacement unit with the factory part# 68448026AA. It's been working fine ever since. I don't notice any lag at all when changing the settings. The Doorman unit was affecting the entire system even though I had confirmed it was the correct part number for my truck according to there parts interchange.

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The factory Dual Zone ATC also uses a different Light Sensor in the dash. It is also a Sun Sensor that the system also uses to adjust the temp. If you install the Single or Dual Zone ATC you will most likely have DTC codes for the sun sensor unless you change it. I changed mine and the codes went away. The regular light sensor has two pins and the ATC style light sensor has 4 pins. My truck and @STecoD's truck both already had the correct wiring. It was a simple plug and play. I really didn't notice much difference in the way it works but figured I would change it because the truck was looking for it.
Do you have a part# for the four pin sun/light sensor? Am I correct to assume it's under the dome on the dash center speaker?
Like you will probably want to install it just because and to eliminate the DTC.

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Exactly. The system doesn't actually measure the passenger side temperature. It adjusts temp on the driver and passenger side with the blend doors by moving the doors a certain amount to adjust the temperature variance between the two sides. The factory Dual Zone ATC also uses a different Light Sensor in the dash. It is also a Sun Sensor that the system also uses to adjust the temp. If you install the Single or Dual Zone ATC you will most likely have DTC codes for the sun sensor unless you change it. I changed mine and the codes went away. The regular light sensor has two pins and the ATC style light sensor has 4 pins. My truck and @STecoD's truck both already had the correct wiring. It was a simple plug and play. I really didn't notice much difference in the way it works but figured I would change it because the truck was looking for it.

That’s odd. I have no DTC codes in my truck and I went to single zone. When I do this I should probably just change it out just in case so I don’t run into problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That’s odd. I have no DTC codes in my truck and I went to single zone. When I do this I should probably just change it out just in case so I don’t run into problems.

My truck is a 14 Express 1500 and STecoD's truck is a 15 Tradesman 1500. Both trucks had DTC codes for the right and left side Sun Sensor before we changed it. The part number for the Dual Zone Light Sensor is 68230114AB. It is the sensor in the grill in the center of the dash. It's very easy to replace.

Remen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
Did you use the Mopar part# I listed for the new blend door motor? Mine was very sporadic until I replaced the Doorman replacement unit with the factory part# 68448026AA. It's been working fine ever since. I don't notice any lag at all when changing the settings. The Doorman unit was affecting the entire system even though I had confirmed it was the correct part number for my truck according to there parts interchange.

I bought a new OEM part # 68089742AA and install it on the front and moved the existing part, same part number, to the rear as read on the posts.

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
@Ricks Ram thank you for the part#

I'll be interested to see if the sun sensor is used to increase the minimum fan speed to help compensate for solar radiation.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a new OEM part # 68089742AA and install it on the front and moved the existing part, same part number, to the rear as read on the posts.
Ok. The correct part# according to my dealer for my 14 was. 68448026AA. There were no part#s on my factory blend door motors that resembled any Mopar part#s so I had him look it up using the Vin# off of a 14 Laramie 1500 to make sure I got the correct one. Seems to work great.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Ricks Ram thank you for the part#

I'll be interested to see if the sun sensor is used to increase the minimum fan speed to help compensate for solar radiation.
Im not sure but it seemed like it increased the fan speed at certain times but it might just be a matter of me overthinking it. In any case it didn't make a huge difference. I just wanted it to be correct. I figured for $25 and ten minutes to change it it was worth it.

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck is a 14 Express 1500 and STecoD's truck is a 15 Tradesman 1500. Both trucks had DTC codes for the right and left side Sun Sensor before we changed it. The part number for the Dual Zone Light Sensor is 68230114AB. It is the sensor in the grill in the center of the dash. It's very easy to replace.

I pulled mine out today and yup only 2 pins and 4 wires. So I bought the dual zone light sensor and it should be here this week. The part number you provided is the same for 13-18/19 classic trucks. They never changed the PN or anything

Manual AC light sensor - 68230115AB
Dual zone light sensor - 68230114AB

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I pulled mine out today and yup only 2 pins and 4 wires. So I bought the dual zone light sensor and it should be here this week. The part number you provided is the same for 13-18/19 classic trucks. They never changed the PN or anything

Manual AC light sensor - 68230115AB
Dual zone light sensor - 68230114AB

Yes it's the same part# for the 13 to 18 plus 19 Classic. Sorry should have mentioned that.

Remen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
It’s been a week since I finished this project and for the most part things are working fine, including the actuator. My bride adjusted the temperature on the passenger side and stated that it initially felt warmer than the selected setting. I recall that after I had the A/C recharged the service writer noticed the passenger side took longer to adjust to the selected temperature setting. Of course I was still thinking the actuator was adjusting.
Since I’m happy on the drivers side I ordered the dual zone sun sensor and see if it’ll make a difference. At the least the correct sensor will be installed....

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Im not sure but it seemed like it increased the fan speed at certain times but it might just be a matter of me overthinking it.
I did put the dual solar sensor in and nothing notable. I even tried covering the sensor while driving in full sun. It's not an expensive part and knowing that it should be there regardless if I noticed it changing anything. There has to be a purpose for it, the auto manufacturers don't put things on a vehicle just for the heck of it.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It’s been a week since I finished this project and for the most part things are working fine, including the actuator. My bride adjusted the temperature on the passenger side and stated that it initially felt warmer than the selected setting. I recall that after I had the A/C recharged the service writer noticed the passenger side took longer to adjust to the selected temperature setting. Of course I was still thinking the actuator was adjusting.
Since I’m happy on the drivers side I ordered the dual zone sun sensor and see if it’ll make a difference. At the least the correct sensor will be installed....
Obviously it's impossible for you and I to compare how our trucks act. I have compared my truck to two other trucks with the factory dual zone ATC and it's pretty much spot on with both of them. Truth be told mine actually works a little bit better than my buddies factory Dual Zone equipped Bighorn. I have played with STecoD's truck a little after he did the upgrade and it's pretty much the same as mine. If you know someone with a factory Dual Zone truck maybe you could check how there's operates and see if there actually is a difference or if maybe you're just thinking the system should change temperature quicker than it actually does. Also I mainly installed the Dual Zone sun sensor to eliminate the two DTC codes my truck had because it was looking for the sensor. I really didn't notice much if any difference in the operation of the system after I installed it.

Remen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
I have compared the HVAC functions with a Laramie belonging to my neighbor and discovered my issue is deeper. I did replace the sun sensor with a dual zone unit without any difference in performance. After a visit to the dealership regarding another matter, I changed out the driver and passenger side actuators with part #68448026AA because there was an error with the passenger actuator. Still no improvement.
I returned to the dealership and ask the service writer to have the tech check out the HVAC function again. The tech was able to confirm an issue still existed but this time with erratic signals to the passenger actuator.
Going back to the original single zone ATC installation there were issues with the conversion harness but a replacement harness fixed those issues and the HVAC functioned normally. I have checked my wiring and continuity exists with the wiring. My next step is to remove the conversion harness and check for continuity and terminal positions.
I would appreciate any input that will help resolve this issue.

Remen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
Spent the afternoon testing the conversion harness. Removed the entire harness including the temp sensor and mirror harness lead. Soldered two terminals for the temp sensor at the HVAC connector, pin 2(ground) and 12(cabin temp signal). The BCM had reset to single zone MTC so used alfaobd to program dual zone ATC. Let it sit overnight and see how it tests in the morning.